FFOF soil GNATS again!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Buzzer777, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Last 2 bags of FFOF (different lots) have had a few Gnats in it..Love the soil..hate the bugs..!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bummer. I have like 5 bags. I hope I don't have any bugs in mine.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  3. I used organic soil/nutrients my last grow. Gnats were a problem the whole time lol. Kept population down but what a pain in the balls. I am doing coco this grow for first time, and not a single gnat at all. So much happier.

My current 6 Jock Horror Autos, coco coir grow. :gc_rocks:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Cocoa she'll mulch seems to reduce their populations significantly! And all cider vinegar traps trap the scragelers. Got rid of Knats pretty quick with these two techniques.

• Like Like x 2
  5. I dunno if you remember my thread about the aphids being in my FFOF, I ended up going back to the hydroponics store and telling the owner about it. They had a new pallet of the ocean forest and he let me check it out before I bought it and gave me 10$ off a bag. This one didn't have aphids but after looking through a good portion of the bag I did find one pupi fungus gnat. Gnats I can deal with it's the other bugs that stress me out. I'm thinking about going coco too for my next grow

6. Yes, I do remember..
    I told my grow shop and they just shrugged..Didn't want anything back and bought another bag..Only finding 2 or 3 per bag and no live larvae or hatching eggs TG..Got one with sticky paper and shooed one up to be sucked out by the tent's exhaust..I like soil so I am sticking with FF for now..No other real choices here sooo for
    $14 per bag
    ..WTF..LOL

• Like Like x 2
  7. That sucks.. between me and a buddy we've been through like 4 different bags of happy frog and ocean forest and we didn't have bug problems. Now I've purchased some crap from Wally World that gave me gnats but I'm sure that was unrelated to the fox farms. I'm with you though even if I did get a few gnats it's still the best option around as it's significantly cheaper buying locally then buying a bag a quarter of the size on the internet for the same price thanks to shipping. I like my 3CU for 20$ lol.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I think if you have a big chess freezer, you could put a couple bags in there for a week or so to kill bugs.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

9. When I bought a bag of FFOF earlier this year from Amazon, it had a minor gnat problem. I ended up mixing some diatomaceous earth into the first couple inches of soil, then layered a thick amount on top, sealed the bag as best as I can and left it alone. Seemed to have taken care of the problem. DE really comes in handy.

Sent from my klte using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  10. i keep telling people throw a hand full of sand on top of the soil these bugs will not survive . or add in perlite . the drainage is bad soil is staying wet to long on the top of the soil . these bugs lay there eggs in damp soil .

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. And just for good measure..I spray the soil and perlite down with Captain Jack's.;)

It is annoying since the little buggers find their way to my computer screen..:ey::ey::ey:

12. Sand is great, and also have a fan blowing across the top of the pots. That should take care of the little buggers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. It's not that easy -

"Gardeners may reason that freezing the infested soil is the only way to end their torment at the hand of these bugs, but it could take a lot of ice cubes to kill fungus gnats. An Alaskan researcher discovered that the fungus gnat Exechia nugatoria is easily revived when frozen to minus 25 degrees Fahrenheit, and some members of the species may even come back when frozen to temperatures approaching minus 60 degrees. Fortunately, there are simpler ways to destroy these pests than leaving them exposed in the Alaskan wilderness."

Cite: Can You Kill Fungus Gnats by Freezing the Dirt?

J

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Haha reminds me of a thread I seen not all that long ago where someone froze their whole plant thinking it would get rid of gnats . I am having great luck with coco and no gnats at all. I wonder if you grabbed a 5kt brick of it from Amazon would that get rid of your pest by top dressing it, fairly cheap like 15 bucks Amazon. Gh Coco tech 5kt block

My current 6 Jock Horror Autos, coco coir grow. :gc_rocks:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Holy crapola..Interesting but sad..Haven't seen any flyers in a couple of days now..a new bag awaits cooking in my HOT Nevada Garage though..!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wow, they can survive the end days.

Thanks Jerry very much for the recommendation of the neem cake by Ahimsa (sp?). The neem/Karanja cake mix is doing really well. Haven't seen a Gnat in my trap since I added it. And my plants look like they are really enjoying it.

I recommend anyone fighting gnats to give it a try. Ahimsa brand neem cake . Can be bought at neemresource and other places. I got the Ahimsa neem cake karanja cake 50/50 mix at buildasoil. Worked so much better than my dynagro neem oil.

Thanks again Jerry!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hi I've been running FFOF for at least 4 years now all from my local hydroponic store and like clockwork almost every time I had gnats I don't know why lol but I bought a bottle of azamax(organic) and fed it to my plants sprayed my tent and even flushed my roots I simultaneously killed mite and gnat infestation. :) hope this helps!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Been spraying everything down with Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew and putting a layer of perlite down on top of the soil thanx to @jerry111165 ..so far so good!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Ff sucks . Use promix or Coco and you'll never see a gnat again. Or put sand on top of ff soil.

20. Little bastards..I use silica on my grow and they have a tough time chomping on my ladies..
    Gonna tough it out with FFOF, since my local shop sells a bag for $14 and it does make for nice and healthy plants IMHO.