few questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by GodSleek, Jan 7, 2009.

1. alright i have some bag seeds and if i wanted to test if they where dead i should put them in a cup of water? the live ones will float and dead ones will sink? and its just water?

also is it true a regular light bulb wont work? i mean like a 60 watt bulb?

2. That should work to test them yes. I doubt a regular 60w bulb will do you much good for growing though.

3. Also is it a bad idea to use miracle grow in the soil?

4. I read most of that and its hard to pick out the answers to some of my questions, but thanks. i should be fine now have my seeds in the water now waiting to find the duds, but the lightbuld thing may raise suspicion to my parents if i went and asked for some special lightbulb so im stuck with the 60watter

5. Regular 60 watt incandescent bulb just puts off a lot of unwanted heat and doesn't provide light in the spectrum that makes it good for plants. You can get compact fluoros from places like wal-mart, home depot that will do a fine job. Just one 100 watt (like 23 actual watts) will do fine to get you started with seedlings. To do your whole grow with those you will want to have about 100 watts (actual watts, not bulb rating) per plant.

Miracle grow is bad because it contains time-release fertilizers. That will eventually run you into a problem with controlling pH. Eventually you will end up with nutrient lock-out. That's what I've read here anyway. Do a search on soil mixes here and you will find tons of good suggestions.

6. You guys are probably going to get mad that i keep posting on this thread instead of looking for the info, but im just going to tell you my set up its complete noob set. Its a cleaned out candle jar with potting soil i swiped from or of the pots in my house with some bagseeds and miracle grow in the soil and my unhelping 60watt light on it.
    From what ive read i have no chance of it even growing but ive thrown seeds outside in the dirt and they grew right outside my house and i figure this is just set up a little bit better. Also im not looking for an amazing turn out just Some free weed.

odds of this working?

7. also i found a lightbuld in my house thats like a spring shape that says helical 20w 120vac 60hz is this good? or can you not tell by the information i have provided

8. I think if you get some better lights, you will have a much better chance. Those CFL's from Walmart cost almost nothing. You can get a pair for probably $7 and can do better if you shop around. The incandescent just isn't going to work. The seeds grow outside because they have sunlight. Nothing better than that. Indoors is another matter. You want to get Daylight CFL's that hopefully will say 6500K on them. They are easy to find. When you are ready to flower, you swap out the bulbs for the soft white variety. Very cheap and easy. I really think that you will get nowhere unless you get decent lights. You might be able to get by with the miracle grow soil, even thoough it's not optimal. Hey, it's bagseed, so nothing lost if it doesn't work out :)

9. #10 OldSkool1010, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2009
    Zero.

Dude If you're not going to take the advice you've been given why ask?

There is no way a half-assed attempt will produce better results than growing outside.

If I read correctly you're using a Jar as your container...How did you put drainage holes in the glass?

10. That light you found will be better than a regular 60 watt. You will need something better soon though. Ideally you will want to place it so that it's only about 2 inches away from your seedling. Multiple plants is gonne mean more lights needed to get started and even a single plant is going to need more than one light bulb.

11. hey im trying here im doing the best i can in my situation, i changed lightbulb to the one i posted earlier not sure if it is right still, im very ignorant with lightbulbs obviously. I changed the soil also and am now not using miracal grow. And for some reason the candle jar had a plastic bottem which allowed me to poke holes in the bottom.

12. Wrong way round. The viable seeds will start to absorb water and sink. The empty husks just float. That is the theory, anyway.

13. oh that would of been bad then, ok but i ran out to walmart and picked up 23watt/1600lumens light bulbs those sound about right?

bought a pot too

14. If it is a CFL or fluorescent tube, that is fine.

15. its not a tube it looks like a spring, but thanks for all the help guys really appericate it

16. http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/31653-grandpas-grow-guide.html ---> GERMINATING
    To start with seeds: if you are a newbie, try bagseed first. It's a waste of money to buy some expensive seeds and screw up.
    There are many ways to germinate a seed. The method I prefer is as follows: take a glass of luke warm water and a drop of Super Thrive. Put your seeds in the glass and let stay overnight. The seeds that have sunken the next day are the seeds you want to continue with. Seeds that kept floating are probably ‘dead' seeds.
    :eek::eek::eek:

i Cant belive you let him throw away the good seeds ... read the f***in manuals dude before posting ... omg :mad::mad::mad:

17. As a rational adult, am I the only one here that thinks that this kid should respect his parents home and maybe wait till he has a place of his own? I mean no offense to you
    Godsleek, but I'm sure your parents have worked hard for what they have and would would be devastated if something were to happen that involved them and the law.
    Read, learn and plan an outdoor grow his spring that won't affect your family. If you studied these forums and put together the necessities for an outdoor grow, you would ultimately end up with more herb, without involving your folks. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but please think this through.

18. My parents are super pot heads the only issue with them is i dont want to share, my dads a real jerk when we smoke. Like when we are smoking a blunt he will take it and go to the bathroom and be gone for like twenty minutes and come back with a roach. Also we live in the middle of nowhere in PA with 80 acres and i plan on growing outdoors when the weathers nice.

19. OK, can´t say fairer than that.