Few Questions Regarding PC Fans for a Micro Grow

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Synyster1337, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Hello all, I am in the process of building a stealth box out of my nightstand, and I'm pretty much done with planning except for the airflow/odor-scrubbing filtration. I already roughly know the design of my filters and such, but what I'm interested in is the wiring of the whole setup. I found a fan controller with temperature probes, and I figured that would be a great way not only to regulate my fans, but to regulate temps in the box.

Fan controller - NZXT SEN-001LX - NZXT SEN-001LX Sentry LX Aluminum dual bay fan controller - Newegg.com
    Static Pressure Fans - Corsair SP120 - (for carbon filters, I'm running two mini coffee can DIY filters, one on each fan) - Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition CO-9050008-WW 120mm Twin Pack High Static Pressure Case Fan - Newegg.com
    Airflow Fans (may or may not order, may just go with passive intakes if these fans really move all of that air at 12v) - Corsair AF120 - Corsair Air Series AF120 LED 120mm Quiet Edition High Airflow Fan Twin Pack - Red (CO-9050016-RLED) - Newegg.com

So the question I have is, do I need to order a PC power supply to run the fan controller? I'm not even sure how I would select one, since the power is in amps. Do I convert to watts assuming 12v operating voltage? Then would it be (12*(current draw of fan in amp)) for each fan then add them all up?

Any response is greatly appreciated, because I'll hopefully be overnighting everything I need as I'll be picking up a blue dream clone this weekend.

2. All of those PC fans will give an amperage rating. For example most of the 120mm fans I have run at about 0.20A to 0.50A. I have 6 fans ranging from 80mm-120mm and I am running them all on one 12V 2A supply, with room to add more fans if I wished. An old ATX supply would give you 10+ amps on the 12v line, so it's probably overkill unless you have other devices that also need that 12V.

I found my exhaust fans (non static pressure type) didnt really have any trouble pulling air out if my cab. Good luck! If you have any more questions I'd be happy to attempt to answer them. And if you do order those Corsairs, please let us know how the static pressure models compared to the airflow models.

Edit: I just looked at the specs for those fans, the SP models take .18A and the AF models take .40A. Since that controller is touchscreen it will also take probably anywhere from .25A to 1A depending on the control circuitry they use for the fans. So a 2A + supply should give you plenty of power. But also I noticed that the AF claim a lower CFM than the SP models, so my advice would be to go with the higher CFM, made for pressure SPs. 4 of those would still be under 1amp total. Hope any of this helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. I use an old pc power supply that the fan went bad in. removed the fan in it. runs 5 120mm 24/7 power supply never gets warm. I posted a how to a few weeks ago, interestingly i used an nzxt controller at first as well ( it told me cool stuff like current and speed etc) but just switched to an old dimmer switch it was simpler and less wires.

Using a desktop pc power supply to run all your pc fans!

Happy building! i spent a fair amount of time trying to figure out airflow when i built.

4. For sure the heat sinks in mosttower PSUs can dissipate many watts before warming up. Glad you got it figured out. I made a nice windowed ventilation elbow for my cab to my wall helped my situation a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app