Few questions about lights, space, etc.

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by MacToker1, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Hey guys. First time posting here. I've been lurking this forum for several week getting info(This site is usually by far the most informative one, thanks for that) for building my first grow box.

I've grown outside a few times, and there's not much to that, so I'm thinking that indoor growing will be lots harder. So I just have a couple of questions, and need opinions and info on my ideas please.

I have a pretty small space to work with, I'm gonna be able to fit a 2' wide, 2' deep, 5' tall box in my extra closet. So what I need to basically know is the best grow method for such a small space? I know it's usually a matter of opinion, but I want to yield as much as I possibly can in the small space.

Also, I'm thinking either a 200 watt CFL would work best, or would just 4 of the 40 watt CFL's(160 watt total) be a better idea?

When it comes to my fan, I also have a few questions. Do I need one of those bathroom fans? Everything I've seen says that I'd need a 70 CFM fan, is that right? Or would a couple of those little computer fans work? Sound is an issue, so if I went the bathroom fan route, I'd have to find a quiet one. I plan to use just a couple of 6 inch round holes at the bottom of the box for intake, would that work? Also, can someone please tell me how a carbon scrubber works? And give me a link to a cheap, or an easy DIY scrubber? That's the most confusing part to me, as where to place it in the box with the fan and all that. Smell is also an issue, obviously.

Also, in order to get light all the way through the plants since it's such a small space, should I put a light or 2 near the bottom of the box? What lights do I need for which stages?

And finally, does Mylar or flat white paint reflect better?

Whew, I think that's all. I'm sorry that's a lot of questions guys, I'm just about to start growing a little for medicinal purposes and need some assistance lol. Thanks guys

2. Oh another thing, what cheaper soil and nutritional are the best? I'm thinking bud candy

3. [quote name="MacToker1" post="19285440" timestamp="1388947951"]Oh another thing, what cheaper soil and nutritional are the best? I'm thinking bud candy[/quote]Soil. http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1116550-Easy-Organic-Soil-Mix-for-BeginnersEasy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners.I recommend a 250 watt hps and screen of green for that space.Mylar is a bit more reflective than flat white paint. Either one will work fine.Mj marijuana is nature's way of saying high!

4. An hps wouldn't make that space too hot? I plan to get a 4" 125 cfm duct fan with a carbon scrubber, would that be enough to keep it cool either way I go?

5. It's actually a 190 cfm fan.

Also, how many plants do you guys think I could jam in there with SCROG or LST?

One or two plants. Don't jam it full of plants, noob mistake. You're on the right track with the build though. Here's my build, if you're interested, very similar to what you're doing http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/1019352-my-300-diy-growbox-26x26x4-250w-mh-150w-cfl.html?hl=diy+growbox Few changes have been made, added a can filter obviously.

7. #8 OldMonkey, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2014
    That size is good enough, believe me. I've started to grow in a smaller space. I just didn't flowered it there because I wanted huge plants, and transplanted them to a 13 gallon pot (wich was not a good idea. Tranplanting from a gallon to a 13 gallon? I was crazy by that time)

Here is what I done to that closet. I only have this photo (not final setup).

View attachment 131870

By that time I hadn't the Metal Halide bulb, and the fan wasn't working yet. And I had the engenious (or not) idea, of puting some mylar on the top of the CFL UFO, to reflect the light from the CFL.

8. I plan to build a hood out of wood and wrap it with Mylar. Think that'd work? Or would it create a lot of heat?

9. In the photo there is also a framework of wood. On the left and at the top.I was using a 400W, and it did start to raising the temp. too much. I ended up with the door always open and with fan blowing the heat out. But that is a 200W so it may not overheat the area. If you use a cool tube, you surely won't have problems with temp.

10. Cool! I'm on a pretty tight budget in this build. So if you could point me to a relatively cheap cool tube....
    ... That'd be great!! Lol