Few Q's

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by drsteve, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I have done some research, read tutorials, and my work employee has mentored me for 10 hours a day for a week straight. I m eager to start my first grow.

My box design will hopefully be along the lines of 4ft x 2ft x 5ft and I think I will start off with 2 plants. - One question I have with this is once my plants go into flowering and later stage will this box be sufficient?

I'm looking into purchasing a T5 Output Light 2ft 4 Lamp - I realize that these plants in different stages, need different bulbs I would purchase extra if need be. - My question would be can I use this lighting unit from start to finish if I buy the correct bulbs? Or do I need more lumens?

Since this would be done at a buddies house he would like scent not to be a issue ever. Would buying a 4" Fan/Filter Combo to exhaust and filter the scent be smart, or simply over kill for a cabinet that small? It's rated at 165 CFM and when I did my cabinets CFM calculation total was 8. Going this route would save me later on if we decided on doing the whole closet. haha

I plan to Mylar the whole inside and buy the required soil, and nutes along with the other intake fans and timer.

Thank you for reading, and all help would be much appreciated. Once i decided fully I will post some pictures of the setup.

2. That will be enough headroom. Look into LST or Scrog to keep them low.

You can flower with the T5. I understand you probably don't want to have to deal with the heat produced by an HPS. You might want to consider some CFLs or a couple more T5 fixtures for side lighting. 6500K bulbs for veg, 2700K for flower

Go with the 4 in fan/filter combo. There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to odor control. My fan/filter is so strong that I can leave my closet doors wide open with 7 flowering plants and not smell a thing in the same room. Once again, there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to odor control. If needed you can buy a speed controller for $15 to turn down the fan.

Look into using flat white paint instead of mylar. It's like 2% less reflective, but so much easier to put up.

3. okay thanks man, I'm kind of torn between ordering a T5, or a HPS. I understand the venting in a small room would have to be sufficient. Would a 250w HPS/MH suit better for 2 plants using the MH for veg and then switching to HPS later down the line.

The room would be located in a basement closet, there are 0 windows located in this room, could I just exhaust outside the box, and repeat?

I will likely paint the inside of the box flat white, thanks for the advice.

4. Go for the HPS. Get a digital ballast that can run both MH and HPS bulbs, use MH for veg and HPS for flower.

It's fine to just exhaust into the basement, I have a closet and just exhaust into the room the closet's in.

5. Okay thank you much for the advice. My buddy has been telling me that I'm going to burn the house down with a 250w HPS/MH; he doesnt understand the ventilation. How can we go about precaution.

I see people on these forums with 250w or more in grow tents not much bigger or even the same size.

6. I run a 600W in a 4.5x2x8 closet with no problems. I have an air cooled hood and a 440 cfm exhaust fan. I don't exhaust to the outside, just into the room. Get an air cooled hood-a sealed hood with holes for ducting on either end- and an exhaust fan (squirrel cage style inline fan) and you should be good.

7. sounds great, thanks much