Fertilizing Wisely

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Norma Stits, Feb 1, 2009.

1. #61 SmokinTrichs, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2009
    Oh my goodness!
    Perhaps some of this is the reason for my mildew problems in soil and hydro. Over-fertilization! I knew it could be a cause but never found any info proving my theory on it until now!

Damn you just cost me a boatload of money. I think it's time to buy a big expensive combo meter once and for all. :eek:

I appreciate the wealth of info though, seriously! Thanks! Might have just solved a world of problems in my room.

My beautiful LST Hindu Kush clone got moldy the morning after fertilizing it. Bad idea to water at night for one and I'm certain now it was from overfertalization of too high EC in my GH nutes! Bingo!

Now that I think about it all my clones that went mildew probably had too much nutes man!

2. LOL.. well man, you'll save money on nutes and the extra yield will pay for the meter in no time :)

but yeah.. i use Botonacare Pure Blend Pro. They say to use 30ml per gallon... which works out to about 3.0ec

the most i have ever used was about 10ml/gallon and never an issue with underfeeding at all. Most of the time i use about 5ml/gallon without issue

3. I don't get it. Someone please help me understand. I have a hana combo pH & EC meter (HI 98129). I have a RO filter system. My tap water is 350 PPM. The water coming out of my RO filter is 8 PPM. My last water/fert solution was 1150 PPM. The ferts were Fox Farm using the FF week 4 flowering schedule (grow big, tiger bloom, big bloom, beastie bloom at 1/2 strength). This is in soil with a run off pH of 6.44.

Am i over ferting? If so what should the PPM of my fert solution be.

thanks for your help

4. You know if you are over fertilizing if bottom leaves start to get brown.

5. all depends on many things dude.

how old/big are the plants?
    how many watts and what type of lighting?

1150 could be too much for small plants under a CFL.. but may not be enough for a big flowering plant under 1000 watts.

IMO unless they are babies under like 3 weeks old.. then 1150ppm of organic nutes wouldn't be enough to really overfert your plants.

the point of this thread is to show that IF you went by the label on the container your PPM would be 2300 and definitely cause issues at some point during the grow if you kept it up.

hope that made sense... it's harvest week which means being extra stoned :p :smoking:

6. Smkn and August, Thanks for clearing this up for me. i was trying to read to much into it like there was some magic formula for getting it just right by getting the PPM to a certain level.

7. [quote name='Saaz']Very informative thread!

I have access to an unlimited supply of distilled water. My general understanding is that distilled h20 has a lower ph. Is it ok to use distilled water all the time? And, would it be possible to just amend the ppm of fertilizer so that the regular waterings contain a tiny amount of nutrients like 2%? Or would this lead to salt build-up?

Distilled water usually have a lower ppm than tap water. You're still gonna want to check the ph of any water, even bottled water. I use distilled water for germing seeds, bought a gallon of walmart brand distilled water, the ppm was under 30 but the ph was like 9.5!! So u definitly want to check the ph of every liquid u put in your plants. One of the first grow supplies I bought was a Hanna combo meter and I've never had the problems I hear other growers have. They are a lil pricey but they're worth their weight in BUDS!! GL

8. I have a friend that will be growing super lemon haze and Church from Greenhouse seeds (he lives in Cali and is legal). Greenhouse sent him an email with their complete set of numbers that they use for the strains which follows:

Super lemon haze

grow medium: soil
    nutrients: plagron and house and garden
    ph growth: 5.5-6.0
    ph flowering: 6.0-6.5
    ec growth: 1.3-1.7
    ec flowering: 1.5-1.8
    growth time: 1-4 weeks light:16-18 hrs
    flowering time: 10 weeks light: 12hrs

The Church

grow medium: soil
    nutrients: plagron and house and garden
    ph growth: 5.7-6.0
    ph flowering: 6.0-6.5
    ec growth: 1.3-1.5
    ec flowering: 1.5-1.7
    growth time: 1-4 weeks
    flowering time: 8 weeks

If he uses FF Ocean Forest, which is rated at a ph of 6.7 out of the bag, would the ph of this soil not be too much? If so, what type of soil should he use?

Thanks a lot! My friend is a little old and doesn't know how to use the internet well, so I'm trying to help him out.

9. strange when you consider that starting back in 2007 the agricultural industry began tripling the amounts of fertiliser they use. this has resulted in bumper crops. Expensive, wasteful... but critical feeding is a proven method in gaining heavier yields.

10. #70 CriTTer80, Mar 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2010
    Hi A.W. Got a question. Im using ffof and its nutes and ive been adjusting my ph at feeding. Bringing the solution to 6.5...should i not be doing this? I water-water-feed-water-water-feed. Using Ro water...any helps apprieciated. I havent noticed any problems just wanna know if i can do away with ph'in fert feedings.

11. I've done away with adjusting pH in hydro, so soil should be a breeze. I simply feed a 2.6EC feed and this means no need for pH adjustment.

12. hey man :)

personally i like to check the PH of anything i add to my plants.. if you are confident that the PH of your nute mix is in line.. then don't worry about it.

13. i like FFOF as far as a pre mixed soil. Never had problems with it from seed to bud.

i'm surprised that they recommend a PH of 5.5-6.0 for soil.. seems a bit low to me.. but they're the experts i guess.

14. what about organic ferts! i still have not found a thread on organic ferts!!!!!!

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

15. Nice post- :cool:, all pretty basic horticultural knowledge which is essential to growing good plants.:hello::hello:

16. sure, but in my opinion there's critical feeding and there's overfeeding.

are you saying that you can't overfeed an MJ plant? Or that overfeeding won't effect yields?

anyway.. take it up with Mandala Mike from Mandala seed company.. he's the one who wrote this.

so for soil.. just use a 2.6EC mix and the PH will all be adjusted without the need to check it? :confused::rolleyes:

cheers man! welcome to GC :)

17. Im not sure if Organics need to use Epsom Salts...But from a hydroponic perspective.

When I add Epsom salts, would that count towards the total EC/PPM of Nutes?

Is that correct?

18. yeah absolutely man :)

19. personally, i wouldn't add e.s. to your rez, or to your nutes at all. if i needed to use e.s., i'd use it in between feedings with plain water. (good thread!) it doesn't take long to find out that manufacturers want you to feed at higher than needed rates. use it up, and buy some more!!! pretty much the last place i'd look for advice on nutrients is the manufacturer. they'll just feed you the company line. ask someone who's used, or is using the product, they'll tell you straight.

20. I'm trying to find a mix using canna products.right now my girls are in week 3 of flower. My tank is holding at about 12 gal. My mother is beautiful. Unfortunatly some of the smaller ones are suffering for her doing so well. I've been running my mix at 1150 ppm but this is my first hydro grow using canna.
    12gals
    aqua flora A&B 40%
    cannaboost 25-30%
    canna PK 13/14 8-10
    advanced nutrients BIG BUD 10-15%
    rhizotonic. 5%
    cannanyzm. 5%
    If somebody can come up with a better mix let me know.
    Especially if u can give me a recipe in ml. By the way., the water I'm using is 21 ppm