Fertilizing using the SIP method

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Psychographic, May 27, 2018.

1. I usually only have access to my grow room once a week. I have been trying to automate as much as possible and made two different types of SIP systems. So far they have worked very well and I think my next step to fine tune is fertilizing. So far I have been using Earth Juice Grow, Bloom, Catalyst, Meta K, and Micro Blast by mixing and watering into the pots slowly and somewhat sparingly in hope that It doesn't leach through the pot and into the reservoir.

I'm getting ready to start a new crop, I will be using 5g fabric pots and I am using FFOF for the first time. (I have used the Happy Frog and Strawberry Fields with good success)

My idea this time is to fill the pots leaving about 2 inches And when I go to flower, add soil amended with a granular fert designed for flowering as a top dressing.
    My question is, Will top dressing work in a SIP system?

2. I use GH nutes mixed at 1/4 to 1/2 strength and fill my rez with it. Works fine.

3. I appreciate the answer, but I don't want to use synthetic ferts.

4. lmk if you find anything that you can use other than the salts I use. I would like to have options but my research found that organics can go rancid in the rez

5. #5 Psychographic, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
    That is why I was asking about top dressing. I don't know if you have to depend on water passing through it to carry the nutrients to the rest of the soil, or with a SIP, will they leach out on there own to the rest of the soil?.

I decided to try No-Till. I should have everything i need by next week. I won't be ready for the next crop and will muddle through. But hopefully for the round after next.

6. there is a whole organic SIP thread. I think it is in the organic sub forum. Many go organic and then only need plain water ...I still am not there yet. I got close this last grow. Only used nutes a few times. From what I can tell--many use 10 gal pots for no till grows. Otherwise the smaller pots don't hold enough charge to go full cycle. (I was told this)

• Like Like x 1
  7. #8 killset, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
    Build your own organic soil then just top dress and water it in . That's what I do. I'm gone alot and my organic no tills setting on top of sips is by far the easiest method for me to keep my grow going with very little input from me. I pretty much just top dress between grows and keep water in the res. Get yourself a garden sprayer and moisten the soil every so often and good to go. I can't stress this enough, mulch and a thick layer of it. Mulching will help retain some moisture. My sips are very simple. Smart pots on top of a resivior filled with crushed lava rocks

• Like Like x 1
  8. if go organic that is what you do. Just don't get it pushed into the rez if you water in. Sounds like Killset just top dresses and keeps it moist.

9. What do you guys use for your drip systems? I was thinking of getting a blumat system with a 5 gallon bucket for the res.

10. You don't need a drip system with a sip.

11. Thank you for the advice.

Would Pine Bark Mulch be good? How thick of a layer would you suggest?

12. Decomposing bark can rob your soil of nitrogen. I mulch with my home made compost and earth worm castings. Store bought is fine too. An inch or 2 deep is good