feminized Seeds?

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by unity420, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Greetings all.
    Dirt, 18/6 currently, my own blend of soil. may be my 7th grow.

So, Looking for some advice. I had a white fire growing indoors in a tropical environment. I had a purple kush growing outdoor. Both started that same time in the same aggregate and nuts.
    I had to move the white fire outside due to reasons (Smell) and I live in SOCAL. As I would have expected the WIFI hermied and had a mix of Buds and seeds. Since I put it next to the purple kush, the lower part of the purple kush seeded up too. So, Now I have a bunch of seeds recovered from both. I have lost count of how old they are, however, I don't much mind that, I flip when they show sex/ So, I am at the 6th node all are following the same traits but three which are a 1/2 in. shorter. All are showing the exact physical characteristics at all node sites. I have not topped yet to set up for Scrog as I wait for them to show.

What are the chances that at least the seeds from the lower buds on the Kush are feminized?

Thanks
    U420

2. my understanding* is that if both plants are genetically female- when the first one hermied the "pollen" it produces is still a female gamete, so any seeds it creates with a female plant should be female (short of any or weird recessive traits)

*my plant genetics module at university was really early in the morning and didnt take attendance, so allthough I did pass the module I didnt go to many of the lectures.

3. Lol, Thanks. Talking about not paying too much attention. I have been agonizing over which I will have to cull if any. Duh, then I thought Hey wait, all these seeds came from plants that were both Female. I did a precursory search and saw the silver whatever stuff and bing. Light bulb came on.
    Just wanted to bounce it off the wall to see. I am now a bit happier, since I have enough seeds to last a while. Now I have to figure after wards what to call her. Thanks

U420

4. When hermie pollen is used there is always a 50/50 chance of hermie offspring. It's just how genetics/dna works.

So my advice is when growing those plants avoid stress, and keep an eye on them. Just because the hermie trait is in them doesn't mean it has to show itself, just means it could.

5. I'm not saying your wrong- but do you care to to show how you get to 50/50?

If we were talking about a triploid hermaphrodite (XXY) haploid(ish) gamete separation would give:
    (X) (XY)
    (X) (XY) the other X to the top one, no difference in outcome but a different way of getting at it.
    (XX) (Y)

Given the mother is normal and is only giving X gametes that gives you an offspring ratio of:
    2 (XX): 2 (XXY): 1 (XXX): 1 (XY)
    presuming the triple X is a viable phenotype that gives
    50% female (33% normal diploid female, 17% triploid female)
    17% Male
    33% Triploid Hermaphrodite.

If we're talking about an induced intersex plant rather than a natural hermie, which I think we are, would its gametes be different than if it hadnt been stressed? where does the y chromosome come from?

6. Yeah but your hoping that the original plant is a female turned male bc that's only way feminized works.... What if it was male turned female then wouldn't work the opposite way?.... I'm no scientist but that's just my 2 cents...

Normally don't they take a female turn it male then put it with true female making it have all girls since the male really just a tranny lol

I know you said you pretty sure it was feminized seeds I thought.... Just alot time to waste to get bunch males or more Hermies....Bc the Hermie that random normally with me pass that on.
    .Idk though I might be stupid.... Good luck BUDdy whatever you do

7. Seeds are rather cheap.... Attitude seeds is my #1 pick

8. genetically male intersex i think would give you
    (X) x (X)
    (X) x (Y)
    (Y) x (X)
    (Y) x (Y)

So 25% female, 50% male, 25% none viable (I dont know whether YY stops at the zygote stage or produces a none viable seed) , meaning of what actually grows a third are female, two thirds male, but you still get no natural hermies.

9. OK but all I know is weaker the genetics the more chance of Hermies....I'm not exactly sure that it applies to plants the same...I just know from 15+ exp in growing.... When I mess with things like bag seed I get more those.... Cool thing though BUDdy

10. I think the confusion here is very few people here draw any distinction between induced intersex plants and natural hermaphrodites- calling both hermie. A natural hermie was going to turn out that way whatever you did to it (genetics) an induced intersex is caused by stress.
    'strong genetics' would mean the plants robust as fuck and you'd have to try to mistreat it to make it intersex as a defence mechanism.
    'Weak genetics' its less robust, easier to shock and there for intersex plants that if you gave them ideal conditions would remain female.
    In extreme stress both strong and weak will intersex, In perfect conditions both will be fine, in real growing conditions somewhere between the two the weak will intersex much easier. But thats still a different thing from them having hermaphrodite genetics.

Well yeah, thats just a lottery.

11. Nah I order feminized seeds and take clones

• Like Like x 1
  12. But I think I get what your saying

13. I think wilflet has it. The original was a true female I believe from seed. When I had to remove her from her original environment which was around 85-90*f and probably 75-85% humidity.

The other plant, outside was also raised from seed and identified female. Both were started the same time. Both started indoor. Both were very hardy plants treated with only natural nutrients. i.e worm castings, bat guano, some of this and some of that. I like to know whats in my bud. I can grow great bud just using mother nature. Not knocking the hydro guys/gals, just not my preference.

Anyway once I brought the wifi from the tropical temp to SOCAL. around 75-80* day time temp, with 40-50's at night. Knowing how and when plants grow, the night is what brought the stress. At that point it flipped and several weeks later I started seeing seed pods in with the bud. I did harvest around 3 ounces of clean bud from the wifi with around the same bud/seed.

Both plants lived well up until harvest. even after cutting roughly 90% of the bud for harvest the remaining trunk with some popcorn sized branch's continued to grow at a fair rate given time of year. So, hardy genetics. After all it is a weed.

I have 4 that I put outside same time as current grow. They are holding at the 3rd nod. And temp here has been in the hi 30's a few times at night. Only gets around 4-6 hours of sunlight at best. They are still green and appear healthy. Amazing plant!!

Sorry for the lengthy response. I am a bit passionate on the subject. I am not yet to the schooling level, however, your wiflet knowledge is commendable. +

14. Sorry its been a rather good wake and bake this morning. :passing-joint:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dude the 50/50 was just basically like me saying that it's gonna be a flip of a quarter when growing those seeds. The fact that they were made from pollen of a hermie means the treit is there. Leaving the potential for hermie offspring.

At the end of the day a hermie is a hermie. Stressed or not.

Breeders that care about their customers stress test all their plants to avoid using hermies Therefore not selling hermie seeds to theri customers These breeders also use STS when making feminized seeds. STS works by blocking hormones to create the pollen.

16. 20170108_131059.jpg 20170108_130945.jpg 20170108_130945.jpg well as of now I have 12 starts all from the same seed batch. here are some pictures. Well one picture to start. Having phone issues 20170108_131059.jpg 20170108_130945.jpg

17. These are at the 6th full node with #7 getting ready to be topped after this. This is my own science project. Every seed recovered from both plants have all I say all germinated. they are all in a nice cozy environment and should do well. So, I will let you know if they have any males. The pictures are not the best, however, by the 7th node I would expect to see some male signs.

18. @ Wilflet, Turns out that all are female. I am two weeks or so into 12/12. I purchased a new lite. They are now under 315w CMH. They are not stressed and actually quite happy.

Here is the next question. So if the original mother was female (WiFi) and hermied well into flower, then pollinated the kush also original female. Would not the seeds from the WiFi have the chance of 50/50 male female with an errant Hermie in the mix?

And would the seeds from the Kush then carry the trait of all the strains..ie DNA representative of the original mother and then that of the Kush? There is a High times cannabis cup coming to my area in a month or two and I would like to enter the strain once cured. I have a few labs in mind for testing but would like to have a general Idea of the results going in. I would like to have a general idea of the results and not me looking at them for the 100% answer if you get my drift.

U420

19. Firstly glad its all working out for you.

"Would not the seeds from the WiFi have the chance of 50/50 male female with an errant Hermie in the mix?"

Theres two different things most growers would call hermie, but scientists would call two different things.
    i)A true/natural hermaphrodite is caused by its chromosomes, something has gone wrong in its fertilisation process, it presents as having both male and female bits, it has both X and Y chromosomes and therefore can produce both X and Y gametes (allthough usually in an odd proportion as your often talking about having unusual chromosome situations like xxy)
    These happen in humans and animals too.

ii) Induced intersex characteristics. Genetically they are one sex, normal plants that in a good growing condition grow as a single sex plant, for arguments sake female- but under stressed situations will produce male flowers as a survival mechanism, in bad enough stress any female plant could do this. But because they are XX females they are only capable of producing X gametes.
    This dosnt happen in humans (I believe the highest animals that do such things are like star fish), but imagine there was a normal woman (XX) and starvation or some other stress convinced her body she needed to reproduce instantly and the best way of doing that was to have both male and female reproductive systems and produce sperm as well as eggs- it wouldnt change every cell in her body to be XY, she would still be XX, but produce X eggs (normal) and X sperm (men produce 50:50 X:Y normally).

So what I was saying up in post #5 was that if you have a natural hermie, that was always going to hermie no matter what you did there would be a percentage of males- if you knew what type of chromosome abnormality it had you could predict the %, if you knew the % you could have a go at working out what it might have been.
    But if you have induced intersex from stress, which from your post I presumed was the case then both mother and 'father' plants only have x chromosomes, therefore only produced x gametes and theres no combination of rearranging will make XY out of that- you get all female offspring.

"And would the seeds from the Kush then carry the trait of all the strains..ie DNA representative of the original mother and then that of the Kush?"
    Not all the traits, if both parents passed all their DNA on to their offspring then each generation would have twice as much DNA as its parents and that wouldnt work.
    In a diploid cell you have two copies of each chromosome- one from each parent. When gametes are produced one copy of each goes to the egg/sperm/pollen but randomly (Ie a Y pollen from a plant is not exactly the same genes as the Y pollen that came from its father but a new gamete that has a random mix of the chromsomes from each of its parents*)
    So all the traits of both parents are present spread across the full set of offspring, but some will be more like one parent, some more like that other.
    This is exactly the same as any cross fertilisation between strains.

hope that helps

*to further randomise things theres also mechanisms that swap sections of DNA between the matching chromosomes and random mutations.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Thanks for the help. As a note, I will in the next year or so start schooling in horticulture. I have an opportunity to go to school and get a monthly stipend so, I am going all in, probably NM or TX as they seem to have the entire AG thing under control. Lol

So, much appreciate the schooling!

As to the both Sex thing. I recently read an interesting article on Sea horses. The have the ability to self pollinate for lack of a better word. Again. Appreciate the opportunity to converse with people in the know. Its kinda like "E" tutoring. Lol

Have a great day

U420