"Feminised Seeds"???

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ctcoyote16, Jul 5, 2006.

1. How can companies make the seeds already be female? How can they tell if theyre female?

2. they are from female plants?

3. lol thats like saying children that come from females are only females..thats not how it works bud

4. There are various methods of inducing a female plant to produce male flowers. The pollen generated this way will be genetically all female, so when it is used to pollinate a female flower the resulting seeds are 100% female.

5. Thats impossible. how can a female plant pollenate a male? Thats like saying a female human can make the males have kids. Its not possible. The female has nothing to embed into the male which would create the offspring and effect, its the other way around.

6. No, humans are quite different from MJ and other plants in terms of reproduction.

Read up before you take a stand, here is a link to one of many discussions on this subject, or just google "feminized seeds". You will see that, in fact, a genetically female plant can produce male flowers and those flowers can contain viable pollen that is 100% genetically female.

7. Question number two, how come is it that the hermie rate for pretty much all feminized seeds sucks horribly

(retarted children for example )

8. A few thoughts.

First, feminized seeds are just that -- feminized, meaning the internal genetics of the seed are 100% female.

Second, MJ and most plants are not like humans, meaning our concept of one distinct possible sex for a given specimen. MJ plants can hermie from stress and possibly from genetics, meaning producing true female and true male flowers. But when this happens it is in spite of the base genetic sexual make-up of the plant -- a genetically male or female plant potentially could hermie and produce both male pollen and female flowers.

Third, self-pollinated plants from such hermies usually are not genetically inbred to the point of defects. The plant world is more forgiving of this inbreeding than a human brother and sister having a child.

Fourth, there is a myth that feminized seeds are highly susceptible to hermie. That has not been my experience or that of most experienced growers who post to various internet MJ forums. There have been a few particular cross-breeds from particular breeders that have been reported to have a tendency to be unstable and hermie, and those usually have been pulled by the breeders and replaced with something more stable.

9. I never have personally used any fem seeds but ive seen people try and ive heard people tell me that they all hermied. But hey like I said ive never used em.

10. Hi females can change to males if mistreated during the flowering period!

11. question: where does pollen come from?
    like..ive heard stories of this smokable stuff (only ever heard of it referred to as pollen) thats green, sticky and smokable, but not bud..
    also, can someone explain hermies to me? like..do they make buds ? smokable? :)