Female seeds and other questions

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Foxy01, Dec 15, 2006.

1. I have been researching growing cannabis for a few months now and I am finally starting everything up(I have enough room for two bubble buckets). I must start out from seeds because i have no connections to someone that I could get a couple clones from. So here lies my first question, should I buy female seeds(or feminized, is there a difference?) and run the risk of hermies? I have no room to grow 5 or so plants to see which ones are female, I barely have enough for two. I thought the female seeds were a perfect idea, but then I heard some really negative comments on them. What would be the best for my situation right now? Also, what medium do you guys recommend for the plants once they finish germinating? Rock wool or the clay pellets?
    Thanks in advance

2. Well if you have time, I'd go for standrad seeds and just hope for the best, but if you REALLY don't want to wait then just go for female seeds. Personally, I wouldn't get female seeds because usually they are priced waaaaaaay too high.

3. I've never had a problem with femmed seeds. Fear of hermies is greatly exaggerated. Femaleseeds.nl is one breeder very reasonably priced, sold by both Doc and Gypsy. Other breeders may have femmed lines that are reasonable too, again both Doc and Gypsy carry several other lines.

BTW for purposes of this conversation "female seeds" is kind of a shorthand for "feminized seeds", but there is a clear difference between them:
    • Female seeds are any seeds with two X chromosomes and thus predetermined to be female, about 50% of all seeds produced from regular pollination will be female (and the other 50% are the male seeds. And you can't tell the difference without either a genetics lab or just growing them out).
    • Feminized seeds are from buds that were pollinated with female pollen, the result of a particular rare form of hermaphrodite induced by breeders through chemical hormones and/or stressing techniques specifically for this purpose. So technically Feminized seeds is a subset of female seeds.

4. If I was to grow them from normal seeds, what would be a good way to do it seeing that I only have enough room for two bubble buckets? Is there a way I can do two in each bucket or what(2 gallon buckets)?

5. try starting a few in foam cups, then after ur veg.ing time( watch for root bound, try a 24 oz foam cup) sex them, and then put ur females in the 2 gallon containers,...w/ the femalized seed thing, i have great results from them, i get mine from greenhouse.,,,one more thing, its best to put 1 plany per container, if more, they will "fight" for space, and nutes, and get the roots twisted up and all, making stress on ut plant, more then likey u will have a lower yeild, having more then 1 plant, vs. just one plant in a container

6. try femaleseeds.nl , the price is low.
    I have C99 motherplant from femaleseeds.nl , I heard C99 was hermie resistant strain.
    I germed only 1 seed, sprouted within 36 hours, veg vigorously.
    You know, germed 1 seed and got 1 female plant (and you can get unlimited clones from that). It is big time & money saving.
    Easy cloning, low odor in flowering, recommended from my limited experience.

7. yea, if your on a tight budget, femaleseeds.nl sells femm's in four packs and most will only run $30-$40 via drchronic.

8. One more question for my next grow, would it be ok if I was to clone the plant that was just harvested and use those clones to start my next crop?