female pre flowers, male plant?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Slaw, Aug 9, 2009.

1. I was just reading on another site about how not all plants with female pre flowers turn out to be female. The OP posted some lines from an unsourced book that said plants with female pre flowers could even turn out male. In all of the following posts no one reported ever having a male after seeing female PFs.

I just recently began this hobby. I started two Cosmic Nights (NL x Sensi Star) from seed. One plant grew vigorous, tall with thick stalk. The other grew slow, short and bushy and it also had deformed leaves. At first, myslef and a friend with more experience guessed that they would both be female. SO I kept the vigorous one as a mother and threw the short when into flower mode. The one I kept for a mother developed female preflowers and I was stoked.:yay:

I took several clones from the "mother" only to have them reveal balls, not just a hermie, but a full on male after going 12/12. I had even pre-arranged to sell some clones from it lol. :eek: Well, instead of killing them all, I kept one clone from this freaky lady imposter and I am collecting pollen from it. I just came to realize today that there is a good chance that the seeds from it will be feminized, is this correct?

2. if it has female preflowers, then it has to either be a female or a hermaphrodite. maybe you just clipped the male part of the hermaphrodite and left the female parts intact, right? If you save the pollen and pollinate a full female, theres a 50% chance of a hermie and 50% female. Across the top row of the punnett square you would put F F for female, then across the side you would put F m for hermie (F=female trait m = male trait)

[​IMG]

3. Great respnse, thanks! I didn't even think about it that way. I didn't really know at the time what part of the plant i cloned, but I'm guessing I did get a male part.