Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Fellow stoners, reassure me!

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by m00zix, Jul 15, 2011.

1. I went to the doc. this morning to get some blood work done; I'm having stomach/intestinal/weight loss issues and the doctor thinks it may be bacterial, however... I told him I smoked weed when he asked me if I do any drugs, but added that I hadn't since I noticed the symptoms I was exhibiting. He continued to tell me to stay away from it etc. I don't remember what bullshit reason he told me but I think he tried to tell me it can help manifest these symptoms or something; I realize it can mask them... And until I figure out definitely what the problem is, I'm going to stay away from smoking chronically... But my question to you all is, should I still smoke recreationally? I see nothing wrong with sparking up at night and gaming, or just chilling with my friends. I've been stressed for a while, and I'm not entirely sure why, so it is a great relief to have weed to fall back on sometimes. I get my bloodwork back on Tuesday, so hopefully it's positive for bacteria that way I can start packing the weight back on and not have to get a camera shoved up my butt.

2. It sounds to me like all you do is smoke recreationally. (not judging, I dont know you)

But if you are young, which you sound young, of course a doctor is going to tell you that you should not be smoking pot.

You are probably stressed out because all you do is smoke pot, and when you are not smoking pot, you worry about the next time you are going to smoke pot. There is much more to life than pot.

If you have pain take some ibuprohen or something. I'm not downgrading the value of mmj by any means, but it sounds like all you have is pot on the brain, maybe take up a hobby. Besides sitting in the house... gaming...

You havent been very clear on your issues, so I cant be very clear on advice. If your a pothead your a pothead, If you know marijuana makes your stomach pains and so forth go away, why would you stop smoking? Dont take a doctors advice unless its something serious. Thats what the government wants you to do. Get prescribed to some shit that gives you symptons worse than the problems your trying to fix.

Not that all doctors and so forth are like this, some would just rather have your money.

3. Do your own research. never take the doctors advice without at least thinking to your self whether or not it sounds feasible. With that said, whose to know if your doctor got C-'s or A+'s, maybe he went to med school in Guatemala. Point is, they don't tell you their MCAT scores and even if they did you wouldn't know what it meant without looking it up :p (i got a 13-S) Hell he could have paid to get it too.

4. You live in Florida...Dr's have no real choice but to tell you to stay away from POT in Florida...but at no point are they entitled to lie about why.

So as to saying mj is causing your ailments, that's BULLSH*T...fire his arse and get a new Dr. as soon as you can (I'm the type to tell the Dr why, "I do not like being lied to").

Aspirin 'mask' headaches, joint pain...it's called RELIEF from the symptoms...if MJ gives you relief, then do your best to use it as a medicine...meaning, find how much you need to get relief, and try not to exceed that. (I won't advise recreational use of medicine...but nobody ever died from just using mj, EVER)

Cramping, gut pain, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting corresponding to instances of stress and/or anxiety?

Your stress admission and symptoms mentioned already, make it sound like it could be IBS. MJ does wonders for IBS...edibles work great to sooth the gut, and keeps the stress down.

just my opinion, I'm not a Dr (pay attention to the Dr, but do ask for any documentation to back a Dr's claim that MJ is harmful in any way, no Dr can provide documented proof, even the AMA says MJ is good medicine...seriously), just someone with a long IBS history that found MJ does more than anything else to help get relief.

key thing, is to research, understand, know what you should know about your ailments, what can help them, and to be educated on MJ and why it is illegal (bigotry, racism, industrial greed, political corruption are why....not one valid scientific reason) Then research what MMJ can do to help your condition(s).

to quote G.I. JOE "knowing is half the battle" :D Once you 'know' get busy pestering your state to allow MMJ. (Granny Storm Crow's sticky has all the info you need).

5. The doctor is a family friend, I believe he knows what he's talking about. I've heard on more than one occasion that the diagnosis of IBS is a copout; not knowing what else to label your illness as. I definitely feel you on doing your own research, particularly for your own relief.. though it can spawn even more stress! XD

6. If cannabis has been relieving your symptoms do get checked out for celiac disease.
    Celiac disease - sprue - PubMed Health

If you want your test results to be completely accurate, it is preferable that you not smoke at ALL until all testing is finished, esp. if you are seeing a gastro for any type of 'scope or biopsy.

Cannabis is an anti inflammatory, and may suppress the inflammation of the intestine to the point where they may not get any accurate picture of your disease process.

You might be requested to stop steroids before a biopsy for the same reason.

7. yah ive been waiting on getting more since i ran out so i started longoarding more. i reccomend riding ur bike a couple miles and that will probably help

8. I've been getting more in tune with nature, lately. Getting out on a bike ride to the park, and laying in a field for a couple hours while I write and draw.. Nothing more calming :) I would hardly say it's always on my mind, I just wanted reassurance that smoking weed a couple times a week wouldn't be detrimental to these symptoms. I guess I am slightly frightened by not knowing what is wrong with my body, ya know?

9. This is information I'm looking for. I didn't get a an answer like this from my doctor, more so explaining why than just blindly taking his directions. Inflammation may be a possibility, so I'll be sure to stay away while getting diagnosed. Thanks man :smoke:

10. #10 garrison68, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2011

You should ask your doctor if he is testing you for Celiac Disease, because he may not have even thought of it, or could be unaware of it's relevance - millions of people (one in a hundred) have CD, and less than five percent of those are diagnosed because many doctors don't have a clue - not saying he does or doesn't, but I had to figure it out on my own and ASK for a Celiac blood test, which was positive, followed by an endoscope, also positive. A large number of people with "IBS" symptoms actually have Celiac, and do not know it. Most doctors I've run into don't even know which blood test to give for Celiac. You should go to a reputable gastroenterologist to have these tests correctly performed.

11. is your problem constant? I picked up a protozoa in San Diego.. I was barfing and burping sulpher.. I had some serious bloating and cramps.. and the poop was pure EVIL coming out of me..It was so so bad. But then went away for a month or two... then came back.. I dealt with this for two years!! Each Dr. I went to thought I was crazy.. I tracked my food, cut out dairy, and did all sorts of crap.. Finally a Dr. I saw at a clinic said "OMG my sister went to Mexico and got that same thing!" So one stool sample later I find out I have this stupid protozoa in my gut that when it reproduces I get sick so it can get out of my body and try to infect others..

Lesson Learned Do not drink anything but bottled water.. I think I got it form a fountain drink..The machine was not cleaned properly or the person servicing it didn't wash their hands.. I get sick thinking of it..My cousin was with me and ate and drank everything I did excpt that damn fountain drink form a gas station. UGH

12. I'm not sure if the problem is constant anymore, it seems to have disappeared with the more food I ate. I think I allowed my body to set in to starvation thanks to a terrible eating schedule I let develop and turn in to habit. I am feeling too despondent to pursue further testing right now; I've been blowing off my doctors unfortunately.

By the way, blood tests came back negative for anything and need to go in to give more blood and stool samples, but again. Despondent.

13. Despondancy can be a symptom of cancer:)

BBC NEWS | Health | Tumour make-up 'fuels depression'

14. I think cancer has been ruled out by my negative blood tests. Wouldn't there be a major indicator in the tests had it been cancer? I think plain ole depression and stress is fueling it. Thanks for breaking it to me with a smile, though.

15. I wish cancer screening was that easy. That is why your doc is trying to get you in for more tests, there is no easy way to dx a wide variety of the diseases which might be causing your symptoms. You may need highly specialized testing, biopsies, scans....it can take months, years, even decades (of monitoring a disease condition) to narrow down a dx. Its not like House, unfortunately, they can't solve the puzzle in 43 min of air time.

What if you guess its just depression and stress....and guess wrong?:(

16. Thanks for the pep-talk. I'll go to my doc's tomorrow with ample stool samples and ready for a blood test.

Cross my fingers and hope not to die. Yet.

17. #17 tharedhead, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011
    I'll be happy to review any test results with you, if you have questions your doctor does not clarify.
    Please, try to have celiac disease

18. #18 Pufferz, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Ya my doctor saw me for 4 times in two weeks for IBS symptoms and they still almost misdiagnosed me. I had to have a customer I was working with tell me about celiac. Found out two yrs later both my mom and sister are either celiac or gluten intolerant. It intresting to note that celiac disease is more prevalent in women especially those from the england/Ireland area. My mothers maiden name is O'Donnell lol. The doctor said "celiac....hmmm... I guess it could be but that's more of a European thing...." I couldn't eat any thing with gluten in it for months slowly it went away. Then seemed to "flare up" a cpl times in the next two years. Now I haven't had a flare up in over a yr and a half don't think I am really celiac don't even know what it is who knows maybe that accutane I took as a teenager did fuck me up.....

19. Just collected my stool for my tests... I was reading the instructions afterwords to find out how I should store the containers until I go to the doctors...
    >multiple diagrams in multiple languages on the page
    >list of do's and dont's
    >Ohhh this is interesting, lets see if I did it right
    >do not shit in toilet and collect it from there
    >FUUUUUUUUUU

The tubes had a liquid in it in which I can not undo what has been done. Guess I'm going to give them the tubes and see what they say.

ps. I washed my hands real good

ps.s. what a SHITTY task ;)

20. Did your doc bother to give you a hat:confused:. Hat or lack of hat shows a lot about an office's attention to detail.
    Hat:
    [​IMG]