Fellow Browncoats, Stand Up and Be Counted

Discussion in 'Television/Internet TV/VOD/DVD' started by Foop, May 25, 2008.

1. All my fellow Browncoats in the GC 'verse, time to spread the word to them that know not.

For those that do not know, Browncoats are loyal followers of the TV series Firefly and the subsequent movie Serenity. If you have never seen the show, you owe it to yourself to beg borrow or steal the first disc in the series... after one episode, you will be hooked. Trust me when I say that it is one of the best TV shows to ever have run on TV. The best writing, the best dialogue, and just all around awesome characters.

Here is the summary off IMDB

It's like a Sci-fi western. The Earth that was got too overpopulated and we pushed out into the stars. pretty much a futuristic version of the Westward Expansion. You have space ships and high tech stuff and all that, but many of these newly settled planets do not have these luxuries and rely on the rough and tumble life style, just like the old west. This may sound odd, but trust me, it works and it works well.

and it is rated a 9.5 on IMDb, which is amazing in its own right. Now those that do not know the troubled history of this TV show... It was cancelled after the first season because Fox chopped up the airing order of the episodes and stuck it in a horrible time slot, pretty much neglecting it. But when the DVD hit shelves, they sold out like hot cakes and people at Universal took notice. They then commissioned Joss Whedon (the creator/writer) to make a big blockbuster movie of the show.

IMDb link to the show: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303461/

IMDb link to the movie:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379786/

The movie can be watched without having seen the show and still is very enjoyable, but I recommend seeing the show first.

To say that there is a big Firefly following is an understatement. There are people all around the world who are rabid followers and go out of their way to get more and more people into this show in the hopes that some day, another movie or another season may get made. And this is the point of this thread, to try and initiate more people into the Firefly 'verse.

I'd like to think that I know a little bit about what is good and what is not when it comes to movie and TV shows since I worked at a video store for almost 3 years and am basically a walking guide to all things movies. Truly, Firefly is one of the greatest TV shows you will ever see, bar none. Just give the pilot episode a shot and see what I mean.

And to those that are already Browncoats, post up in here and tell me your favorite episodes/ favorite lines/scenes and what not.

And here is just a tiny little clip of some of the funnier moments of Firefly, to give you a taste of what to expect.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/50fau6a7psc&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/50fau6a7psc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

2. I've watched the movie and the first part of the pilot episode. Been meaning to buy the box set. :D

3. Firefly and Serenity are both fucking awesome. :smoke:

Joss Whedon always does me proud with the female characters in his shows. (Yes, I was a Buffy fan. :p) And really, there's not a single main character in the show/movie that I dislike.

I can't remember any specific lines/scenes that were my favorite (that must mean it's been too long since I've seen it! :eek:) but Jayne was always entertaining as hell.

Ahahaha... after watching that clip though, the last scene always cracked me up. :smoking:

4. Good Jayne quotes:

After the Captain kisses a girl with a narcotic compound spread on her lips...
    Jayne: "That's why I never kiss um on the mouth."

"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."

Jayne: (wearing ugly homemade hat) "How's it sit? Pretty cunning,
    don'tchya think?"
    Kaylee: "I think it's the sweetest hat ever."
    Book: "Makes a statement."
    Jayne: "Yeah, yeah!"
    Wash: "A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything."
    Jayne: "Damn straight."

"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm gettin' paid. Mostly when I'm gettin' paid."

5. :laughing: I was just thinking about that one. Good times. :D

6. Jayne gets all the great lines but he also has one of the best dramatic scenes in the show... At the end of Jaynestown when he is talking to the Captain about what happened, opens up his soul and you get to truly see what kind of man Jayne is.

The most intruiging aspect about him is that although he is pretty much a hired gun and ruthless killer for a lot of the show, he has a really healthy family relationship that always cracks me up.

Another good Jayne quote

"If I'da wanted schooling I'da gone to school."

7. Target has the complete Firefly series for $20 all this week. So I urge each and everyone of my fellow Blades to go out and buy this. Even if you have never seen it. Just watch the first few episodes and I guarantee you will be hooked on it.

$20

Target

Go get it.

8. I love pretty much all Of Whedon's stuff, Buffy, Angel, and Firefly.. looking forward to Dollhouse

9. And for all you cheap bastards... here is a website that has every episode up for streaming... Free of charge and all that wonderful stuff...

http://www.hulu.com/videos/search?query=Firefly

Just watch the first episode and I guarantee you will love it (pay close attention to the dialogue)

10. Trying not to be flamebait here, but I just wasn't very entertained by this show. Just couldn't get into it.

11. I felt the same, not really into a western in space kind of show.

12. Ditto, I didn't find the show entertaining in the least. i actually had to turn it off shortly after starting. I guess you have to be into the whole sci-fi thing first.

13. Not really, I don't like sci-fi stuff very much and I love the show and movie. I think it's a funny show even if you ignore the setting.

But yeah, I got the box set of Firefly since the last time I posted in here, so I've seen all the episodes now. ^^

Did anyone see Whedon's "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog"? It's a short (45 minute) musical starring Neil Patrick Harris (Doogie Howser, lol) and Nathan Fillion (Mal, duh). I loved it. Nathan was so great. xD

14. I'm telling you, if you watch the Pilot episode the whole way through, I just don't see how you can't absolutely love it. The Sci-fi Western blend is weird but it works so well and it makes so much sense.

15. I watched all of the seasons on DVD and I saw the movie because my aunt is a Browncoat. She goes to the conventions and everything. Last year she came to visit, all of those DVDs are what she gave my mom for my mom's birthday. :laughing:

16. seems interesting

17. Ooh, very nice!

Good quality, fast loading, goes full screen, doesn't get all glitchy... Fuck yeah. :smoke:

Foop = :cool: