Feinstein denounces Prop. 19 as 'dangerous experiment'

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by oltex, Oct 30, 2010.

1. #1 oltex, Oct 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2010
    Feinstein denounces Prop. 19 as 'dangerous experiment'
    LATimes / John Hoeffel / 10,29,2010

The Democratic U.S. senator, co-chairwoman of the opposition campaign, says the marijuana legalization measure is based on 'false arguments and fake promises.'

Opponents of Proposition 19, arrayed in front of the Glendale Police Department, denounced the marijuana legalization measure Friday, charging it would lead to more stoned Californians and make schools, businesses and roads less safe.

"Proposition 19 is a dangerous experiment based on false arguments and fake promises," said U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), co-chairwoman of the opposition campaign who headlined the event.

Feinstein, who also opposed the 1996 initiative that allowed marijuana to be used for medical reasons, said passing Proposition 19 would tell California's children there is nothing wrong with smoking marijuana.

"The last thing we need to do is make it easier for drug dealers to increase their consumer base by pushing pot on young people," she said. "Buying and consuming marijuana, in my view, is already too easy."

The Proposition 19 campaign did not have any official events, but Stephen Downing, a former deputy chief of the Los Angeles Police Department, and Hanna Leibman Dershowitz, a lawyer who has been speaking for mothers who oppose pot prohibition, crashed the news conference.

"This is scare tactics, same old song," Dershowitz said. "Marijuana is about as available in California as one could imagine it could possibly be, and I don't see that parade of horribles."

Proposition 19 would make it legal under state law for adults 21 and older to grow and possess marijuana, and would allow cities and counties to approve commercial cultivation and retail sales.

The Drug Policy Alliance, flush with money after a $1-million donation from multibillionaire investor George Soros, unveiled a final advertising blitz Friday aimed at boosting turnout among young voters — who overwhelmingly support legalization — and swaying undecided ones. Ads will run on radio and television, in the Los Angeles Times and on Google and Facebook.

The opposition campaign has substantially less money to spend, but has received a boost from the California Chamber of Commerce. The No on 19 campaign and the chamber are both running radio ads throughout the state.

Feinstein was joined by Glendale's mayor, two police chiefs and representatives from Mothers Against Drunk Driving, the Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce and the Assn. of California School Administrators.

Not one word of what the fake info is or false hopes,,,just more throwing the hands in the air and screaming "what about the children". Since our government and law enforcement have proven beyond a shadow of doubt that they can't keep marijuana away from the kids,why do they want to stop a method that has a proven track record of reducing minors
    having access to harmful substances? Could it be that they don't want to be shown up by the stoner community by being right or are they just protecting their bowl of rice?

They make a great to do about the 3 million spent by proponents of marijuana legalization while candidates fighting over a $200.000 per year salary spend millions upon millions to get the job.
    What is wrong with this picture?

2. Prohibition is the "dangerous experiment". :mad:

3. "If it becomes legal the drug dealers can sell more" What? You know Feinstein, THERE WOULD NOT BE DRUG DEALERS IF IT WERE NOT FOR PROHIBITION.

Idiots.

4. right? Feinstein is being a real douche :mad: you would think a democrat would be for the measure...fuck politics and everyone in it,i'm done.:bongin:

5. This is what happens when woman get involved in politics...haha JK...kinda

6. right same in NY cuomo came out against MMJ really pissed me off

7. Feinstein and Boxer both recieve hundreds of thousands of dollars in election funds from big pharm and the banking industry.

8. feinstein sounds like one dumb dumb bitch :mad:

9. "The last thing we need to do is make it easier for drug dealers to increase their consumer base by pushing pot on young people," she said.

For her sake I hope she is retiring soon because if 19 passes she is toast next time around, along with some members of my city council, etc. Takin' names - then kickin' ass.

10. i wish i lived in a state that mattered.. NY is going nowhere fast

11. not more dangerous than the drug cartels though

12. I found a certain part of this article ironic, its talking about how Prop 19 has a potential to boost voter turnout in what is usually a stinker for turnout (midterm primaries)

All eyes on 19: Marijuana proposition could raise turnout, bolster Democrats - Times-Standard Online

Isn't Boxer against 19? The irony :rolleyes:

13. we need to strat voting these crackpots out of office. if they see that we, cannabis smokers, are plentiful and we start voting anti-legalization politicians out of office they will change their tune.

14. yeah because prescribing Ritalin and Prozac to school kids makes it less safe? I live how they still claim probition is for our safety... :rolleyes:

15. Word, have a big sticky thread saying "SHOW YOUR SUPPORT AND VOTE!"

Haha dreams. Everyone would show up in one place from grasscity and vote or show suport. That be awsome.

16. This should be a banner. But fear is a grey fuzzy undefined thing so it's easy to push twisted logic using fear on feable minds.

17. Vote them out!

Write in your own name instead...or maybe we can all write in "none of the above"...:eek::D

18. really? but i thought reality was a dangerous experiment.

19. Reality is for people that can't handle drugs.

20. Our government doesn't give a shit about our kids, otherwise they would educate them on the drugs they will encounter in their young lives and how they should react rather than straight up telling them not to do it :mad:. I don't know how many times i have overheard or seen very young kids trying to get weed because of what a friend told them about it or from what they heard on the radio. The DARE program is useless, it needs extreme renovation and this should be the first step; they don't tell kids about the dangers of alcohol, tobacco, or prescription drugs, which turn out to be the first used drugs in most kids nowadays anyways, especially in states where weed is low quality and hard to come by. So if the government really cared about the children, they would focus more on education rather than prevention and prohibition and hope they make the right choices. I personally didn't start smoking regularly until my senior year of high school, i had way too much other shit going on in life like getting ready for college, sports, work, etc. But after I bought that first Roor :bongin:, i was determined to change people's viewpoints and i'm glad to say i have. YES ON 19! :hello::D:smoke: