feezing clippings for hash

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by johnjohn, Jul 18, 2010.

1. i chopped my plants today and currently in the process of clipping them. I am putting the really little popcorn buds and sugar leaves in the mason jar for hash that i will make tomorrow and normally i freeze the jars for 30 minutes and then use ISO for hash....

anyways, i forget where i read to freeze the jars for 30 minutes and why its a good idea, i think it has to do with iso pulling the trichs off faster when they are a little frozen, i forget, but what about freezing them for 24 hours until tmrw, is that bad?

would you keep the jars in freezer or just in a dark spot?

2. You can keep trimmings for a long time in the freezer. Freezing helps the trichs break off the plant easier during extraction process'.

3. the trichs will be brittle after being in the freezer and brake off more easy

4. Don't mean to hijack this thread, but got a question about freezing.

I've been storing my weed in the freezer for 30years(no not the same stuff!), for long term storage. Is this harmful to the weed in anyway? I always thought this would keep it the freshest. The longest any has been frozen is maybe 6months.

I understand about the trics getting brittle but is there any other negative effects?

5. The two main components that degrade THC quality are light and heat...

The freezer is one of the best places you can store your buds. Just make sure they're sealed tight (freezer burnt buds sucks).

There's no negative affect on potency from storing in the freezer.

However, as I'm sure you're aware it will change the texture of the plant itself, shattering the cell walls when the moisture freezes. That would be your main negative affect.

Certainly not a detriment juxtaposed to the usefulness of freezer storage.

6. just make sure you dry the clippings first.....i froze fresh trimmings one time for hash and it did not end well.

7. Glad I saw this post, and hope I remember, Only in week 3 of vegging, read here to learn stuff :)

8. Can anyone confirm the drying comment? Because I have been making ISO hash for a while and I do not dry the clippings. Just 30 minutes in freezer and then I make the qwiso and its been good. I think I read somewhere that drying the trim is not necessary

Now I had them 3 days in freezer and making some martini hash.

9. iso hash doesn't need to be dry however when you get into other forms then the dryness matters i believe silk screening is the main method in which it needs to be dry

10. if your going to do it the day after then not a big deal .....but im a procrastanator and i left the frozen fresh trimming in the freezer for a week and it started to mold.....just dry them its safer. i basically flushed 20 euros down the toilet lol.

11. True, for an Iso extraction you can use wet trim. In fact using wet will result in higher quality as the plant's cell walls are swolen and intact (not the case once the plant matter is frozen). However due to osmotic pressure when using the iso, you'll still leach out chlorophyll and other wastes.

In other words, you can use wet/fresh wet/frozen, dry/fresh, dry/frozen and you'll still end up with waste matter, just to different degrees.

--
    Wet/fresh has the lowest possibility of contamination but will also have the smallest yield and you won't get all the trichs off, meaning you'll have to do another batch of lower grade or just toss the rest.

Dry/frozen will yield the lowest quality in the highest quantity. This low quality however, can be improved upon and you'll get most of the trichs (along with other things) off of the plant. I've been working on this in my "Frost Hash" thread (see sig.) using dry/fresh(unfrozen) trim.

I was able to get an average to good potency in a very clean "blond" hash and got a good amount of it as well (+/- 5g from 54g trim, about 10%).

It's certainly not pure, but it's much closer than I've gotten with any other trim/qwiso before.

--
    The idea behind hash in general is to get as close to "trichs only" as possible, each method has its drawbacks and advantages, with the exception of supercritical CO2, which is damn near pure and also impossible without expensive equipment.

--
    HBO (honey butane oil) is one of the purest forms available to the DIYers, but the consistency (like honey) is very tough to work with and smoke well.

--
    Kief and original hashes (from Morocco, Afghanistan, India) are made in two main ways...

Rub Hash, very common overseas, is made by rolling FRESH buds WITH trim between either your hands or some kind of sheet, such as leather, the collected trichs are very close to pure, with some plant matter coming off from the mechanical process, and are then pressed to make the quintessential dark, thick hashes.

This is much different than the dark, hard hash made from Iso, as the contents of THIS hash are mostly chlorophyll, lipids and waxes with very low THC content. If your iso is black or dark green BEFORE you press it, it's no good.

--
    Kief is made by drying the buds, then rolling them across a sieve and collecting the trichs that fall. The freshness of the buds will determine the purity of the kief, but yield goes up dramatically when the buds have dried.

--
    Hash often gets darker when pressed, and natural oxidization of the outside of an older hash brick or ball will also darken the color.

--
    Freezing, in general, is used to make the trichs brittle instead of sticky, allowing them to more easily be removed. However with Iso, the chemicals are often dissolved into the (room temperature) alcohol, so the brittleness doesn't have the same effect.

--
    Storing your iso in the freezer (will not freeze) is a technique by some Iso makers to prevent this immediate dissolution. Don't quote me on this one. I'm not positive on the background facts.

12. If you got mold in your freezer, there may be something else going on.

Mold should not grow at freezing temperatures.

It is possible what you saw was actually a "freezer burn" from being uncovered in the freezer.

It should always be air tight when frozen to prevent this.

13. Um Ive frozen fresh clippings for months and still made bubble hash fine. In fact I had a 33gl bag stuffed full of fresh trimmings that I forced in to Half of my freezer its a side by side, tight fit and wife wasnt too happy, no she was pissed. But I used that for months before it was gone and the last batch was just as good as the first many months earlier.

I would rather do that than dry it and store in air tight containers for months, I had 6 more 33gl bags I had to dry and then try store but month 3 it was brown. It wasnt un-usable, the hash well I chose not to use it due to the flavor compared to the fresh trimming hash, does that make since? They give away trimmings down here so many farmers and their multiple pots, one for the cops two for me kinda thing.

Anyhow I vote, freeze fresh for as long as you like.