Feeling like intelligence is a curse.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by acfunkystuff, Oct 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. What a fantastic thread. I read a lot of this last page. Glad to see I’m not the only one out there who can’t stop thinking. Who feels as if most other people take what world presents to them & accepts for what society tells them it should be. They say genius is close to madness. I think they are one in the same. Only difference being some of us compartmentalize better than others. We are able to contain our crazy fast thoughts in sort of a filing system for future use or reference.

I agree, this could be a curse. Yet it could be a blessing. I find intellectual people have a harder time In life sometimes. We expect more, we ask more questions, we want to know why this? How that? It’s tough being intelligent. Imagine how simple it must be to just go about a simple life without thinking through every last detail or option. Without questioning everything that’s out before you!

I sometimes wonder how I’d be better off. Sure, I’ve got two great houses. A bunch of fancy cars & great clothes. My kids want for nothing. But how happy am I compared to the 9-5 Joe Schmoe??

In the end I think we must just accept that we may be able to slow our internal processors down a bit but it’ll always be there. Forcing you to think & question. So long as you allow yourself the time to enjoy the simple things in life I don’t think it’s all that bad. Let yourself get wrapped up or worse, believe you’re just better than everyone else & you’ll soon see how lonely life can be.

I like to try to look at this way: the smartest guy in the room is always the guy that knows he’s not the smartest guy in the room.

So be humble with your gift. Compartmentalize & stay in control of your human life. Not the life that is run by the brain.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  2. #42 jerry111165, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    I dont believe that. One can be mad and a total dumbass at the the same time OR mad and brilliant - two completely different things.

Sure, I’ve got two great houses. A bunch of fancy cars & great clothes. My kids want for nothing. But how happy am I compared to the 9-5 Joe Schmoe??“

I’m guessing you’re not up at 3am to go to work.

As far as your kids wanting for nothing - you spoil them too much and you’re doing them zero favors. If you don’t install in them a strong work ethic and make them do things for themselves they’ll be screwed for eternity and pulling on your shirtsleeves EVERY time they want or need anything.

J

3. Wow, one post & you presume to know me & my parenting abilities? Ok...

I’m up at 3 am for a few reasons. One would be I own my own businesses. If you have a business that only makes money while you’re there you own a job not a business. Second would be: as anyone who owns one large business or multiple businesses like I do can tell you...you can’t turn your mind off. You’ll stay up late, you’ll obsess & even worry. Third & final reason is I like staying up & watching tv while smoking. If I wanted to answer to someone or HAVE to be somewhere at a certain time I would’ve undoubtedly gotten a job not risked every dollar I had to become one of the larger construction co’s in NYC & NJ.

As to your telling me I’m doing my kids a disservice; well not that I have to justify my parenting techniques but I will for the sake of this debate. My children are 16-13 & 7. Two live with my ex wife so I’m kinda stuck paying their mom what the court awarded her. But I do give plenty. For that I expect respect of myself, themselves & their families. I expect good grades! As for my youngest, she’s my princess. She gets whatever she wants! She’ll always get whatever she wants from me! That doesn’t mean I don’t expect the best from her. My children do well because I expect them to & none want to disappoint me or themselves.

I set the standard & they live up to it...nothing wrong with that.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Zero offense meant. It’s hard to figure folks over a few sentences.

Peace

J

• Like Like x 1
  5. It appears you suffer from the Dunning-Kruger effect. The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which low-ability people suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability as much higher than it really is. Dunning and Kruger attributed this bias to a metacognitive inability of those of low ability to recognize their ineptitude and evaluate their ability accurately.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Intelligence isn't a curse, knowledge is power. It's just ignorance is bliss. Therefore the ignorant subconsciously let things roll off easily.

7. & how do you come to this conclusion ?

8. "I never thought much of it besides that I was just a little smarter than everyone else.." "I’m 18 years old..."
    No, he's not smarter than everyone else. At 18 you don't know squat. Believing that he is only reflects ego or confusion, not intelligence, hence the illusory superiority, . If he's been accepted to M.I.T. or Duke Medical I stand corrected.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thats what those in control wants us to think. We are everything. And so is everyone else. He can change is own universe, and so can all of us.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I have to agree with the guy who said the dunning Kruger affect..your false sense of intelligence is only going to hold you back in life. You're merely a child if you truly believe these self inflated thoughts. See ya in 10 years when life has taught you a few things you'll look back and realize how much you truly dont know!

Your perception of yourself and the world is so small compared to what is truly happening in reality.

11. OP is a pity party, the worlds fucked up. Are you going to cry about it or get out their and make a difference?
    769663EB-3412-4815-AE97-A41F18DC5B0A.jpeg

12. Everything just feels like a futile procedure with no actually consequence on a higher level.

I highly doubt anyone of higher intelligence would use, or allow their phone to use " actually" in that sentence.

Sent from my LGL82VL using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. This is exactly why we have weed. It's the best thing we've got when it comes to our problems, our weaknesses, our obstacles. Use it the way it's intended. Not as a recreational drug but as a vehicle to get u further.

I know ur probably thinking 'really? smoking weed will help'? U know how long this gdamn earth has existed? I firmly belief this drug can be used to help people help themselves. As everybody's different I can't tell u what to do or how to go about ur life but use what has been given to you: your intelligence and the cannabis. YEARS ago I passed a difficult English test with flying colors while being stoned AF. I lost 30 pounds after revelations from cannabis that I just needed to get off my ass and work out and I'm still doing it. I've met wonderful ppl. Don't waste ur time on figuring shit out except for figuring out how to better urself. U will find that aside from allowing u to chill out u will be able to make the right choices for urself, and whatever path u will take will be a result of what YOU have discovered. Man, I know a girl that uses weed like Popeye uses spinach, and she's doing better than fine.

A friend of the family told me that things aren't just created, they have a purpose. He said God created weed to help us cause this world's way 2 complex for some. Some ppl don't need cannabis. U seem like u do need it so for god's sake lite up a f$#%ing blunt, chill out and use what was given to u: intelligence and cannabis.