Feds to tell more medical marijuana dispensaries to close

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by oltex, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Feds to tell more medical marijuana dispensaries to close
    9news / Jace Larson / 3,15,2012

DENVER - The United States Attorney's office plans to demand a shutdown of more medical marijuana dispensaries operating within 1,000 feet of a school, 9Wants to Know has learned.

U.S. Attorney John Walsh won't say how many dispensaries will receive letters or how it is choosing which dispensaries to target. Spokesman Jeff Dorschner told 9Wants to Know the letters will be sent "soon," but he would not give a time table. He says federal prosecutors are finalizing locations to receive letters. "It is the U.S. Attorney's plan to continue this process until every marijuana dispensary within 1,000 feet of a school is closed," Dorschner said.

Dispensaries in 22 locations close to schools voluntarily chose to close their doors or relocate after the U.S. Attorney's office sent its first round of letters in January. If dispensaries did not voluntarily close, federal prosecutors say federal agents would have intervened.

Medical marijuana advocate Brian Vicente says he and dispensary owners are disappointed with the federal government. "Dispensary owners and the patients that rely on them are very frustrated," Vicente said. "They are flabbergasted that the federal government would try to shut them down after they were locally approved." "Last time I checked we were in Colorado. The voters have spoken loudly on this. Our state government and local governments have made steps to responsibly regulate medical marijuana and the federal government really needs to step aside and let Colorado do what's best for Colorado," Vicente said.

:(

2. #2 Cuzin Red, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2012
    It's a sad element of the dispensaries being harrassed and shut down of late, but I've heard more than a few growers and dealers who are happy with the development's results. Since now there's more demand and tolerance of related activity in the black market, as an even larger proportion who are accustomed to shopping at the dispensaries than before they became popular has created a flood of desperate customers in greater numbers than ever. And goes along with sentiments of those who want MJ to remain illegal as well.

3. As usual it's all about the money. These are the same growers/sellers who always rally against legalization efforts. More available product and competition=lower prices=less profit for them.

4. In California most dispensaries are delivery services now.

Time to start thinking about a perpetual harvest eh?

5. #5 Cuzin Red, Mar 17, 2012
    Contrary to what some may believe, the more marijuana becomes acceptable and legal, hence more widely available, the more high quality dank will go for very cheap relative to the common $4-500/oz price tag. Profits on volume will not be attractive for most but the most motivated big ops. The reason to grow drops off the map for many. So indeed, there are many related to the industry (hyro shops, grow light man., nute companies, etc.) who are tentative as to how much they want to see change very much.

6. We need to start making every political activity for the next six months until election night to push cannabis removal from CSA,,since 80% of America support legalization of mmj,,it doesn't matter what politicians and bureaucrats "believe" about marijuana as a medicine.

Put their feet in the fire and ask them if we are still a democratic republic. Let them explain to their constituentss why cannabis is still schedule 1,against the will of the people.

7. When we apply this formula to the broader scope of all private business in capital markets it becomes evident that competition is not really something the private sector popularly supports or aspires to as much as the mainstream media implies

8. #8 Cuzin Red, Mar 17, 2012
    Something the Fed never likes to acknowledge is it's supposed to be a government of, by and for the people. Not of, by an for the government because how dare the voters say otherwise. It's about this vague notion that most Americans can't be trusted or know what's best for their own good and need mommy and daddy public official to say what's acceptable or not.

9. So the delivery services don't get busted?

10. they could get busted but its the shop's that people try and rip off with gun's and shit that blow up thw spot but if you asked me i think the govt should be putting an end to the pill mill's that are killing a couple people a day in florida
    :wave:

11. Perpetual is the way to go, for me anyway. With a moderate scale grow, and the love and time to invest I harvest a steady good sized yield of 2 lbs every month from a small spare bedroom with separate mother, clone, veg and bloom areas. Don't have to feel pressured to unload larger quantities at lower prices and can focus more on quality over quantity.

12. That is the fire you put the prohibitionist politician in,,,make him explain in public why legislators and any elected official would go against the will of the people,,it should make for some very interesting answers,,in public.

13. The government is being sneaky.

They know if they make a huge state-wide bust, there will be a national outcry and backlash.

14. It's something I've never been able to figure out. In none of the legalization under med marijuana provision bills that have passed in any state that I'm aware of is there terminology that allows the existence of dispensaries or sales of that sort defined as acceptable.

15. True, the government is very adept at knowing just how far they can push the envelope before it backfires on them. Evident in how the DEA goes about making busts in Cali and elsewhere instead of just going all out with a blitzkrieg style raid they're quite capable of pulling off if not for the fallout of consequences. They're having a tough enough time keeping majority sentiment on their side.

16. I agree they are being sneaky - i.e. they came into Cali and said we want to shut down dispensaries "within 1000 ft of schools". Then it was "those dispensaries operating outisde of the law". Then the feds decided "all dispensaries are in violation of the law".

As far as state-wide busts....bullshit! They have made their stance and they have raided CA statewide. The FEDS - coming to your MMJ state soon! Further, since the feds are SUPPOSED to treat each jurisdiction equally, it would follow they are going to raid every state. Since DC is opening dispensaries now, this will be interesting - this could actually come down to a case of feds vs feds. Maybe Congress should sit down Eric Holder and have a little talk with him about compassion for sick and dying people.