Feds to reinforce minimum mandatory sentencing

Discussion in 'Politics' started by aaronman, May 13, 2017.

1. Does this mean you are going to come home, aaronman?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. If he wants to go after the cartels that are poisioning our youth with synthetic marijuana and dangerous narcotics, then so be it. At least he is not going after the dispensaries.

3. Not a fan of this. I'm down for being more strict on violent crime, but not anything drug related.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I'm not really down with mandatory minimum sentencing in general. It's something done for political purposes that takes the discretion away from the people actually involved in the cases, ie. the lawyers, judges, victims and defendants.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. America's private prisons need more true patriots like Jeff.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Screw Jeff Sessions, I'm not a fan. I wish he would leave the weed alone and go after the heroin that's killing people left and right in my town.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. And there was I just the other night complaining about all the regulations attached to Canada's impending legalization.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Better than them throwing the book at me. Tfw you're too hardcore. I just assume if I'm going down I'm getting the minimum.

9. It is a violation of the seperation of powers, the legislative branch assuming judicial authority...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. People kill people. Anyway, what you wish for is what Sessions is already doing, eh?

• Like Like x 1
  11. I've never seen a bag of heroin go out and just murder someone. It's those people's personal choice what they put in their own bodies. It's none of your business and sure as shit not the states business to be making laws backed by the lethal force of the cops. Enforcing drug laws causes more death and suffering than the damn drugs themselves.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Yea tell that to my daughter who died 2 years ago. They all deserve to die and go straight to hell.

13. I would bet big money some element(s) of the government is behind the heroin epidemic. At least indirectly through prohibition and the rampant heroin-like state sanctioned pharmaceuticals, if not directly controlling the production and distribution (Afghanistan).

It seems the MO is this.

Bring the illegal and damaging substance into communities, suck out the money, collapse the local economy and buy it up cheaply.

I think this epidemic is probably tied to the loss in revenue from legal cannabis.

Somewhat related

A Jaw-Dropping Explanation of How Governments Are Complicit in the Illegal Drug Trade

• Like Like x 1
  14. I am terribly sorry for your loss. A father should never have to bury their child. I would be devastated if i lost my daughter but she made her choice. Self ownership is the most important thing to me and a failed legal system making laws entitling others to make personal decisions just doesn't fly with me.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Interesting. My daughter also died 2 years ago on May 30th. I blame myself for not intervening persistently enough and her because she knew better and knew she could talk to me about drugs in a completely safe way. It never occurred to me to blame an inanimate object for killing her. And she stole her drugs from where she worked, who deserves to go straight to hell in her instance? I hate to say it but you carry some of the blame here and your daughter carries the rest. She knew help was available and I'm sure she knew she needed it but if it helps you cope with your loss by blaming others then I completely understand. My condolences friend.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Looking at it another way, your taxes are being used to 'combat' the illegal drug trade (more likely to combat competition) meanwhile the hidden tax in the form of the drugs sold funds the imperial/criminal black budgets. As he points on in the article linked above, the financial institutions have to be complicit for a market that large to be facilitated.

So for public consumption, the war on drugs is the good guys vs the bad guys, when in reality it is largely a ruse for financial and social control.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I understand what your saying and I'm definitely to blame for her death. I drove her 1000 miles away to Florida to get her help at harbor village detox. She got some dope from someone a few days later I don't know how but she did and it was her last. She probably would still be alive today if I just kept her close to me and made sure she is ok.

18. Sometimes we just do the best we can and let the chips fall, eh? Still, it's tough. I cope by realizing she never knew, the loss was mine and not hers.

• Like Like x 2
  19. I am torn. I largely agree about self-ownership, but, i dont thi k the self is completely contained in your body. In other words, your environment (friends, family, coworkers, location etc) also play a part in who you are. I think there is a non-local or group multiplier effect which cannot be immediately discounted. I am not sure how to reconcile the two.

• Agree Agree x 1