Federal Financial Aid

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by jack4409, Nov 7, 2010.

1. I am a college student that was recently caught with less than a gram of marijuana in California and received an infraction with a court date to attend. Is there a chance that I will lose my federal financial aid as a result?

2. You might get a light probation period (Mine was 6 months, no DTs, dropped the charges afterwards)

I didn't lose my financial aid afterwards, if that helps at all.

3. You sound pretty safe in californa but i'm not 100% sure

4. So did you have a light probation period as a result of the infraction, or did you have no infraction? Also, did you have no financial aid during the probation period?

5. You sure it's an infraction and not a misdemeanor? The infraction law doesn't go into effect until after the first of the year, Jan 11, 2011 I believe. Best of luck to you with the judge and I hope your financial aid doesn't get affected.

6. #6 jack4409, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2010
    Well my ticket has infraction circled and the top portion of the ticket is not checked off as a misdemeanor. Would the court date somehow upgrade it to a misdemeanor? I'm also a first time offender if that helps.

7. its just a ticket. here in ky, your first offense is dropped if you just plead guilty. i once racked up 3 POM charges in the course of 4 weeks, i got a lawyer, and all i had to do was merge 2 charges as 1, plead guilty and have it dropped, and then go to drug class for 3 hours and the remaining one was dropped.

8. If I were to plead innocent for the infraction because the weed belonged to my friend, but the weed was in my pocket, is there a chance that all charges will be dropped if he goes to court with me as a witness?

9. I suggest contacting NORML or somewhere lefit to see if there indeed is anything such as an infraction for weed in Cali - don't be taking any legal advice here. If there isn't, that ticket may be void.

10. If the ticket says infraction, go to your courtdate, pay that shit and be on your way, it won't effect your financial aid. Infractions are basically like a speeding ticket.

11. talk to a lawyer...this is your school money we are talking about...i dont care if it was less than a gram...get a lawyer....judge could be in a bad mood that morning you go....

12. Every state is different. bottom line. I got caught for paraphenlia alone here in Florida back in january. First ever being in trouble for anything, hired a lawyer, was given a 9 month pretrial diversion program (which sucks btw "a baby probation" as i'll describe it, drug testing and all) and charges are forgiven and will not affect my financial aid because I was not found guilty but is more so a plea deal and forgiveness type program from the lovely state of Florida. Goodluck with everything and you probably shouldn't have to worry about your financial aid.

13. Definitely get a lawyer, this is something that can be life altering as federal financial aid will be your primary source of income if you end up going to grad school or don't have parents that can afford college.

I would say this is really the issue:
    FAFSA - you have to fill out a federal financial aid form every year that gives the amounts you, your parents, your spouse, etc. make each year to determine how much aid you are eligible for. One of the questions on that form is "Have you ever been CONVICTED of a DRUG RELATED OFFENSE." The opperative words are conviction and drug related offense. If Cali. doesnt treat marijuana as a an offense that results in a "conviction" than you may be able to answer the question honestly without violating the pledge to be honest and what not in filling out the form.

Remember, this is FEDERAL and is based on federal definitions of "drug related offense" and "conviction" (I believe, I haven't seen the form in about 2 years so I do not remember the exact wording). Either way, it could be a situation with high risk if you have a long road of education ahead of you and plan on seeking substantial government assistance. Get a lawyer.