Fed court to review Marijuana drug status, first time in 20 years

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by thehighman, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Legal in Washington!

2. That has nothing to do with this....:rolleyes:

3. [quote name='"Benderbob"']

That has nothing to do with this....:rolleyes:[/quote]

But dude.... Legal in Colorado!

...jk...

4. Alcohol prohibition was repealed at the state level first and then the federal govt had to go along with the people. let's hope this is on that same path. with change there is always resistance.

5. Anyone seen any updates on this?

6. All we have is the Chairman of the Judicial Committee stating that there will be a hearing,,the next word on it won't come until after the holidays,,prolly,,have to check the website for the schedule about New Years and they may have it posted.

7. I will be happy with schedule2.

8. How much would that help though?

Both cocaine and meth are schedule 2.

9. schedule 2 would make it legal for certain medical uses on a federal level.

10. The removal of marijuana from schedule 1 takes control of what scientific and medical studies can be done on organic marijuana and the requirement to use government grown marijuana with a 4>5% thc level.

Regardless of what schedule they move it too,,loss of control of those studies and research will result in legalization.:smoking:

And they know it.

11. The question is: do they care at this point?
    40 years of competition-free research has been done.
    Obama also signed into law a change to Intellectual Property laws whereby it is now "first to file" whereas before it was "first to market."
    Makes you wonder if the govt has submitted enough patents and feel their marketplace controls are now such that they can "legalize" because it will mean no one can get a foothold to make inroads into any sort of industry or research once the schedule change occurs. If they've filed enough patents (even if they are dismissed and eventually overturned) the "lawyer" in these politicians know they can stall in court for a LONG time and prevent anyone from being able to move forward with their research/production.

12. Yup,it matters,,you are sure depressed floating by about this mess and I unserstand getting frustrated with all the "catch 22" laws the federal government has built since 1937 to protect hemp prohibition but it us unraveling a little faster,,every day. Just picked some popcorn and it is hard for me to be depressed today:D

13. Well, schdule one states that the thing has no med potential and is highly addictive. Schedule two states that the thing has med potential and highly addictive. That means all the states will legalize med marijuanna. It DOES make a difference.

14. Precedence...its what all laws and enforcement of those laws hinge upon in a court of law. The move from schedule 1 to 2 is a great first step. Let's hope the progression happens quickly.

15. Yea. Just think about the significance of moving sch 1 to 2. When all the states legalize MJ, what will happpen next? LOL

16. If ONDCP and the drug war machine lose marijuana as justification for most of the $25 billion dollar budget this year it will be the first time since the agency was created that the budget will go down.

That's change I can live with.

17. Not sure what this business about me being depressed is all about? :confused:

I'm saying that perhaps things are moving forward as those with the financial incentives feel they have things locked down enough so that they are insured to be the benefactors going forward. This is just basic business strategy employed by many entrepreneurs. If they re-schedule, what is left to research that has not been patented already under 40 years of competition-free research? This isn't about hemp production in America. Plenty of other countries in the G20 "family" produce hemp. But the medical market has largely been untapped. I feel we are seeing "progress" because things have progressed for those who seek to create the markets to control cannabis for their own financial benefit. Bill Clinton? Jimmy Carter? Suddenly friends of cannabis? Not fishy at all to you? It sure is to me. Maybe I am the world's biggest cynic, but I can handle that title. :D:wave:

18. #138 claygooding, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2012
    Considering Jimmy Carter tried to get marijuana decriminalized when he was President and the Judiciary Committee sat on the bill and it was never debated on the floor of the House or the Senate,,it doesn't surprise me at all,,Bill Clinton is trying to get as far as he can from his record on marijuana enforcement and his claim of "I thought most states had decriminalized marijuana" doesn't ring true at all. And I don't care if big corporations rake in the bucks if they grow good bud and we don't continue being the fodder filling the prison system and supporting our state budgets paying probation fees.

If they don't,,I guess I will have to continue being a criminal,,I.like you,have been one for 46 years and can finish life the same way and regardless of whether the federal government ever removes marijuana prohibition,I will smoke,,either what I can find on the streets or whatever the guards are selling in the pen.

And the studies I was speaking about are on marijuana,not the chemical compounds in it,,99% of the 40 years of "research have been on the chemical compounds and all medical research of whole marijuana in the US has been done with government grown schwag,,just using some of the top end strains and doing the same research over with it will show even more positive results.

19. Did anything ever happen? im guessing no.. but worth asking

20. Marijuana review to be held at the University of Oregon 4/19/13
    Buy a ticket