Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

FECO caps vs Green Dragon Shelf Life?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by RespectMyAuthoritah, Nov 29, 2022.

1. Hey everyone,

I have a question about shelf life.

I’ve made Green Dragon many times. I use it primarily for pain relief and I was looking to make something stronger and more concentrated. I was thinking of making Green Dragon, reducing it down to FECO, then mixing with coconut oil and lecithin and putting it into capsules.

But, I just had the thought that they would not have as long a shelf life as a tincture. I think I’ve read that FECO caps have a shelf life of around 6 months. But, I’ve also read many times that tincture may last indefinitely. And, if not indefinitely, at least for a good, long time.

As I was looking for a stronger medicine, I’m now thinking of just making the Green Dragon and reducing it so it’s concentrated, but not all the way down to FECO, leaving some alcohol for the long shelf-life aspect. Although, I do like the idea of being able to make an edible by just putting a bit of FECO in basically anything. But, I don’t know how bad FECO tastes. Is it horrible? I think Green Dragon is bad enough as it is.

Thoughts? Since I’d like a strong product with long shelf-life, should I just stick with a reduced Green Dragon?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

• Like Like x 1
  2. #2 Joker1121, Nov 29, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    @BrassNwood will probably be along, but he says his kief caps and RSO caps last for years.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Once Cannabinoids (THC-CBD) are processed with an Oil they really have what seems to me to be a nearly unlimited shelf life only limited by the carrier oil gradual increase in rancidity. I've got Kief capsules over 3 years old at room temps with no loss of strength.

Hash Master 5000 - Dry Ice Method, Hash Oil Capsules, Everclear Tincture, RSO
    This one covers full reduction of Tincture to Tar and then processed to activated RSO / Coconut oil / Lecithin.
    Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads
    This one is direct Oil. Works with most anything buds, hash, concentrates.

Tincture uses Alcohol as the carrier and even swallowed most of the drug enters the blood stream fairly quickly whether it is absorbed in the oral tissues or swallowed and enters via the stomach lining it is all as Delta-9-THC. Fast acting but equally as fast to wear off.

Oil doesn't get absorbed in either the mouth or the stomach and moves to the Liver where the Magic happens. Liver Enzyme CYP2C9 converts Delta-9-THC into 11-Hydroxy-THC. Five times stronger and ten times longer lasting this is the stuff of dreams (and nightmares if you take to much).

Only Coconut oil works in half the time as all other cooking oils. 45 minutes vs 2 full hours.
    MCT is just refined, over priced Coconut oil. Doesn't help the stone at all.

20% Lecithin to Oil will boost Bioavailability. More stone from a lower dose and improves duration as well.
    Any of the 6 forms of Lecithin work equally well. Soy or Sunflower. Liquid, granules, powder.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  4. Direct oil single serve.

[​IMG]

Take a pinky fingernail of bud and roast it. (50mg of THC)
    Decarb = 240 F for 40 minutes.
    Grind to dust.
    Mix dust with just enough Cooking Oil / Butter to make paste.
    Heat paste 220 F for 20 minutes.
    Let cool and cut into 4 pieces.
    Eat one
    Wait 2 hours
    If not stoned
    Eat a 2nd piece.
    Wait 2 more hours
    If not stoned enough
    Eat the rest.

BNW

• Like Like x 2
  5. I think either alcohol or oil based tinctures will stay fresh long enough for your needs. My oil for capsules lasts for years stored in the freezer at 20 below and will also last a very long time at room temp so I store my hash oil stash in the freezer except for the bottle I'm currently using.

What causes cannabinoids and other plant oils such as coconut or MCT oil to degrade is oxygen, temperature, moisture, and UV light. Control for those factors and your concentrate will be fine. I've read alcohol doesn't protect cannabinoids as much as once thought but I don't remember why. Concentrates far outlasts flower, probably because the plentiful oxygen, moisture, and huge surface area flowers provide the relatively small amount of cannabinoids they contain while in oil there just isn't that much water or oxygen. Stored in the freezer, I haven't had a problem with my oil becoming rancid.

I prefer oil over tincture and prefer using MCT oil for the carrier which contains 100% medium chain fats vs about 54% for coconut oil. Medium chain acids don't need bile acids for absorption and I have no gallbladder to provide a dose of bile acids when needed so in my mind, it makes sense for me to use MCT oil. In fairness, it could be my preference for MCT oil comes from the times my container of coconut oil turned rancid while stored in the cabinet and now I'm biased.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Thanks so much, BNW. I was hoping you’d respond because you are so knowledgeable. So, this is my plan, then:
    —I made GD and am reducing it to FECO.
    —I will mix a small amount of coconut oil and lecithin with the FECO.
    —Put this into caps.
    —Store in freezer.

Look good? Is there an easy way to get the FECO coconut oil into the caps? I suppose if it’s liquid enough I could use a dropper.

THANK YOU!

7. Beware any remaining trace of water in your mixture will melt, distort the capsules and ruin all your hard work.
    Make tincture.
    Reduce to tar
    Add Coconut oil
    Bake 220 F until all bubbling and foaming stops and the oil is still
    Add Lecithin
    Bake 220 F for 20 minutes
    Fill capsules.

Yes a standard eyedropper will work fine for this. If you add the Lecithin before all the water is baked out it'll homogenize the mixture and you can't bake the water off.

BNW

• Like Like x 2
  8. Is there a brand of capsule you’d recommend? When I looked at the it seemed some shouldn’t be filled with oil.

9. Great! I think I can do this LOL.

Only thing I’m confused about—since the FECO is already “activated,” so-to-speak, what is the purpose of baking it with the coconut oil and again with the lecithin? I thought you could just mix the three things together (after warming the coconut oil) and fill the caps.

10. Even fully evaporated the remaining Tar (FECO) still has a high percentage of water trapped in the Tar. We add the coconut oil to help thin the tar and make it workable.

Cook the water off.

Now add the Lecithin and a short processing to bind the Oil-Cannabinoids-Lecithin all together.

You could start with raw Cannabis and skip the decarb since we need to add heat at 2 stages but it really doesn't seem to matter all that much. I've worked it backwards and forwards enough times to know for sure. Despite all the extra cooking it's still nearly as speedy as the Kief Capsules are.

You really need to bake off all the water or it melts the capsules. I use standard gelatin capsules. Usually Solaray (0) single zero.
    [​IMG]

BNW

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Okay, that makes sense. Thanks!

12. Direct Oil is what I use most.
    Decarb 240 F for 40 minutes

5 grams Kief or Hash or powdered buds.
    1 tablespoon Coconut oil
    1/2 teaspoon Lecithin.
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Freeze (optional improves mouth feel)
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes (optional see above)

Fills 30 (0) size capsules.
    Buds 1 drop = 1mg
    Kief-Hash 1 drop = 3mg
    A single zero capsule holds 25 drops of goo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BNW

• Like Like x 1