Fear of death?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Virtue 7, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Do you think the fear of death is the root of all problems in the world?

2. Not at all.

3. so would you agree or disagree with: evolution is about surviving?

isn't this the root of all anxiety? so many feelings are traced back to the basic instinct of survival. when a person is scared, all they can do is try to survive. when we look at the human condition, fighting for resources.. greed corruption.. does it go back to just trying to survive, being afraid of dying?

at least, care to explain your stance?

4. I have the fear of death but not at all. As a matter of fact the problem is that people do not value life.

5. yeah it could be. ppl are taught to go against the process of nature. you can't have life without death. and you cant hold on while the world continues. idk if it is the main problem of the world. but from a psychological standpoint maybe.

are you saying it creates the fear(s) that correlates with all other human problems? this is an interesting subject. i think money could be the root of all problems, but why is money problem in the first place? ..or maybe we are just fucked in the head, and maybe the presence of death has something to do with it.

(i am speaking generally when i say we are fucked in head, blah blah blah, im suggesting western thought, society, the sheep etc.)

6. Yeah, I can for sure see that. People need to learn to appreciate.

I guess it just interests me because death is so taboo.. I feel like it's something that should be talked about, and to some degree, prepared for.

It seems people don't know how to deal with it.. and as such.. are easier to control, so to speak, because of it. It keeps people in this cycle of fear of losing everything they know. They are so afraid of it that they are willing to fight/die/kill for it. And they do it to each other.

I feel if we all talked about it, accepted it, and prepared for it with family and friends.. Then the world would probably lose lots of its fear.

7. Well, people fear what they don't understand. Also, people don't want to let go of their lives on here because life is beautiful and also because they don't know if anything is beyond this plane of existence.

8. Nietzsche would call Christians "Preachers of Death", because all they did was prepare for a life after death & not actually live life. I think a fundamental problem is the fear of death but not obsessing about it to the point where one spends no time living.

9. Agreed 100%... However, IMHO, I believe that there is a very strong stigma around death in our days. It's behind closed doors. It's not something to be touched or understood. It clearly affects all of us. I'm not saying to concern ourselves with some sort of life after death.. but, as a society, recognize that it is a part of each one of us.. and in turn.. hopefully, ease some of the anxiety and fear in the world.

10. Why yogis did not fear death?

11. I feel like people are too wrapped up in the rate race to be in constant fret of the shortness in life.

I honestly have no reservations towards death and see no reason to.

Seems pretty nutty to me honestly.

12. I have the fear of death but not at all. [​IMG]

13. I mean, who can speak for each person who practices yoga?

So if someone held a gun to your face.. your mind would remain in the same state? It would be nutty to react with freaking out?

Care to explain "not at all"?

14. I know its why religion was created

15. Indeed. Fear is a very good way to control people. And look at all the war religion has brought and has continued to bring.

16. I wouldn't say it's the root of all humanity's anxiety. I do agree that it's a major contributing factor though, especially to those who are incapable of accepting it for what it appears to be on it's surface; the end.

I wish I could say that I've reached the point that I no longer fear death, but the truth is, i'm still fairly young and I'll fight like hell to keep living as long as I can. Or at least until I can finally be at peace with the inevitable.

17. I have no fear of death. I do however have a fear of getting old.

18. well the instinctive core of our brains are concerned with 3 things:

1. can i eat it?

2. will it harm me?

3. can i have sex with it?

and for each of those you could say theres an instinctive fear of death, you eat to keep from starving to death, you're concerned about being killed by things you dont immediately recognize and/or things you do recognize, and you fear not passing on your genes.

that being said

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLelxlmkMrQ]All Davy Jones "Do you fear death?" lines - YouTube[/ame]

19. No. Do you think fear of fear is the root of all problems in the world?