Faye's Coffee Can Cloner DIY Tutorial

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by 3Deez, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Just waiting to afford a couple air pumps for my fc cc, been tossing the idea around of taking early clones and adding them to the main grow just let the main grow on a little longer letting the clones catch back up. Just takin a risk since I don't know sex yet.

Question on the bubbler how big of a pump is ideal, and can you split off to multiple buckets? Or this cut the air down to where it won't work as well. Last question is does the air stone type matter? I have seen small air stones, air stone bars, circles that sit on bottom, ect any real preference or advantages in using one over the others?

2. I use a pump rated for a 60 gallon tank and it seems more than adequate. You could probably get away with splitting it between two cans. It'd make for a good experiment. Be sure post your findings here if you decide to do it.;)

3. GK i just finished with big air pump debacacle maybe i can help with my tale..started with std eccplus model 2 outlet worked ok..used 2'' air stone.. 2 5gal res..air stones would poop out after 3-4 wks..thought need more power..moved up to ecoplus 4 outlet..worked good for 4 mos but stones still pooping out..now using 2 stones per res with resultant hose clutter..want to have one hose per tank and 4'' round air but only comercial size pump will work..i get smallest comercial size 38w...runs great..bubbles 5 res nice..2-4'' round stones and 3-2'' stones over total distance of 10'..one problem ..it's obnoxiously loud..louder than all the components in two cabs..made a sound enclosure out small 6-pc cooler with 3'' vent holes on 3 sides..put pump in it ran good and quiet at first...pump locked up after 7 hrs..overheated..used temp pen thru port..131 degrees!!! pulled eco4 out of storage and in desperation to make it work dicover it has plugged intake filter..that was glued in! no filter pump worked fine curing orginal problem..now using it with one hose per res with dual 2'' stones on splitter..plnts are happy and i can sleep nites...hope that helped

4. BTW the pump once it cooled down to room temp unlocked itself and works..good spare

5. Dang Doc! I think that I remember you talking about some noise issues in JJ's thread. Is this the same thing you were talking about there? Sucks you had to go through all that.

6. Mine was really loud. It was a dual pump and I realized it was the extra (unused) port that created all the racket. I took a piece of the kids play dough and smashed it in the second exhaust...that stuff hardened like concrete and made everything quiet lol.

7. Yup..story of my life..that's how i learn ..ask me about the time 20yrs ago i plugged the drain with geo rk and draino and flooded the antique store below when they pulled the drain trap..lesson learned NEVER EVER clean geo rk in the sink without afine mesh screen..lol

8. Thanks for the advice Doc, I don't think that I need quite the power that you are rolling with. I am just trying to power 4 FC CC. I will take the lesson though and work with it =) no trying to make them quieter. If I am going to make a box for it to make it quieter. I will make an aluminum enclosure with a couple PC fans probably 80mm fans intake and exhaust. Is easier for me to make the PC fans be quiet than the hum of most pumps.

I was originally looking at a 10-30 gallon whisper pump but from the sounds of it, this will not be a powerful enough pump for what I am trying to do. It would be quiet but not enough power. Think I will still get them for my Aero system though. Have been thinking of adding a air pump to add a little extra oxygen if it isn't the plant reservoirs main way of getting oxygen the plants it should just add a little boost and keep the water agitated and keeping any form of algae away =).

As for the pump for the buckets, I will just have to do some shopping til I find a decent one that doesn't make a huge noise lol.

9. GK threr are quiet big air pumps..but sooo expensive it's prohibitive to your average grower..generally in my search i found the louder it is the cheaper the cost..super quiet= $$$ ..they are all pretty efficent equally but they soak you for low volume or i should say stealth..lol

10. :hello:Here's a pic of those roots. Sorry it's blurry I took it quick. I knew these would be hard to root as thay were woody and almost all bud. The root you can see is on the Chystal. I cant wait to try her she has the biggest tops of all now and still budding hard.:D

Attached Files:

11. Mmmm play dough...I ate some of that stuff as a kid once...not quite the taste I ws hoping for ...glue tasted better :laughing: :bolt:.

12. my son gave me a big heavy duty air pump and it's very loud so I hung it by the cord to the rafters and it's much more quiet. The cord is very fat so I looped it around the pump and secured it, no vibrations any more.:D

13. Great advice on hanging a pump I would not have thought of that right out of the gate :)

14. Thats Faye for ya...she always has these simple tips that work so well. ;)

15. Figured I would report that all of my clones from the cloner have been in soil for a couple weeks. They took very nicely to the new soil, but I should have given them a stronger soil or added some food...i treated them like seedlings. Still looking good though.
    First time cloning...100% success rate- FCCC FTW.

16. Well I got some of the most ugly clones I think Ive ever taken :eek::cool:. Here are the clones that were taken from the mother plants that I mentioned a few posts back (light came crahsing down on em and they didnt make it). The cuts looked bad to begin with since the mothers were on their way out when I took them...but guess what...roots, roots, roots baby!!! Im not going to keep these since I dont need them. The worms will enjoy them for Christmas ;).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. They don't look ugly to me, but, I am biased in this area.

18. Thanks, hahaha! Im sure that I could probably transplant them and they would green right up eventually but Im literally out of room at this point until I get my veg station set up.

There was a time when I would have taken any and every clone I could get even a tap root to form from...but now I guess Im kind of a snob :laughing:.

19. Update. Here is the Chrystal now. She took forever to revedge,but look at those new leaves.:D

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      347 KB
      Views:
  20. Congrats!! Re-vegging is something I dont have any experience with...but it seems to be alot more popular than I thought. Whenever I find that "keeper" strain, Im sure I'll end up giving it a shot. ;)