Faye's Coffee Can Cloner DIY Tutorial

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by 3Deez, Oct 26, 2012.

1. I was over there and ran out of time before I could find photos of your problem. You may know this but do you know Nitrogen burn exactly reflects root rot with little difference in appearance. Could this possibly be N burn since you have plenty air in the bucket and all that jazz? I don't do the hydro thang but it seems to me it would make more sense. I really need to see the damage to get close to a clue.;):smoking:

2. Faye, Thanks for this article. The first cutting I ever took, worked fine with using some powdered rooting hormone I got at a big box store and stuffing the stem into some soil. Subsequent cuttings I had no luck and I mean none. I read your article and made my own with stuff I already had, 5 gallon bucket, rigid insulation board as a top, rockwool as "sponge", air pump and stone. I took 2 cuttings, placed one in non-nutrient soil with cloning gel applied and one in the "Faye's/My Altered Coffee can cloner" and the cutting in the cloner stayed perky and vibrant right from the start, the soil cutting drooped in an hour or so. I waited 24 hours to see if any changes would take place ie; "perking up of the soil cutting" or "drooping of the Faye's cloner cutting" the only change I got was more drooping of the soil cutting. So just to see how good your bubble cloner worked I moved the drooping soil cutting to the Faye's cloner and after one day it started to revive and this is no exaggeration. I should mention though that from the first moment I ran the Faye's cloner I had not just plain water but I added a small amount of Transplanting Solution to the water.
    The PH of the water I used was about 7 straight from my tap and this is municipal water so yes there is chlorine. Full light, no misting no joke. Works great, Thanks!

3. Ill attest to that every clone I've taken before in soil has be droopy for a few days, the one in the can I took didnt sag once, straight di water from the store right out of the jug!

4. This is where I got started one year ago! I did almost the same thing!

5. Finally got more of the Coffee cans, and have some butter ones that I can use if I need more. Working on getting the air pumps soon, and then I will be in business! =) Excited to get these started. Will post pics when I am done.

6. Hi everyone!!!
    I built a DWC out of a folgers can, that now im going to doudle as a cloner, all I have to do is change the lid. I'm into the flower phase of my first grow, with two plants that I grew from seed. Though both seeds came from the same plant, I got two distinct phenotypes, and I also don't have any clue as to the genitics. The one that has the best traits I took cuttings from and used willow water to root them with just some Jiffy discs. I took 5 cuttings and have 100% success with rooting. It took almost 2 weeks for roots to show since the donor plant was well into flower, but I noticed new growth on the tops of the cuttings and it was about that time that the roots started coming out the sides of the jiffy pods.
    I am very new to this also, and I am sure I am making lots of mistakes, but I am learning as I go. I have been researching for a few months now, right after my seeds popped and I potted them. I know that i have made serious mistakes with my first plants and I am doing things differently with the babies. I will post some pics if anyone is interested and if I can figure out how to do it!

7. Propaganja, this is DDD's article. He designed the cloner as it is just like any good engineer improving on ideas he's given and kindly naming it after the person who gave him the idea. I was using a jar and a bubbler, then made a bigger cloner that was more work than it was worth, when DDD was having problems I told him about the jar and air pump and his genius came up with this idea. I abandoned the big one I made and made one of these w/o regret.
    Glad you like it, DDD is a great guy. :D

Soulreaver, if you need help click on my sig link and post up on my thread and we will be glad to help you through if you want some help or have any questions. We aren't competitive over there we just share ideas and discoveries and talk about a lot of stuff now and again. I do a lot of experimenting with 100% opinion type statements, (my way or the highway types) so if someone gives an absolute it is likely proven right or wrong in that thread somewhere if not I will likely work on it to find the truth if I have time energy curiosity or drive to know.:D;)
    ... anyway you are welcome there if you like.:wave: welcome to the city.:smoking:

8. What do you guys think about leaving a single plant in a setup like this? Put a small basket in the center and let it go for a couple months. Lst and microgrow it?

9. I'd try it just for the hell of it. I'd bet those roots would block the stone in no time tho. It would probably be a really short veg period. Maybe a container the same diameter but deeper would work a bit better

10. Good point on the stone... Would have to play with it a bit to keep it from getting too clogged up. Think it would do alright. If it gets too thick with the roots could always move the whole thing to a 3 gallon pot.

11. True, can always move the small pot and bury it a 6" pot in a larger bucket if it becomes an issue. Ph is also harder to control in a smaller setting, it could def be done I think youd just have to play around with nute doses to get it right

12. [quote name='marvajuana'][quote name='marvajuana']

:DSuccess! This is day 9 and one of the cuttings (old school 98 kush) has roots. I was thinking they might take as long as 2 weeks because they were so far into flower. I will post times as the other strains take root.:D[/QUOTE

:wave:How much root do they need before I put into soil? This never came up before because I use to clone in a perlite/vermiculite mix.:confused:

13. I am quite used to taking care of PH, I have an aero setup for my main grow was just thinking about doing a small micro grow for all of the tons of bag seed that I have from extra batches. Nothing I want to put in my main grow but a couple extra buds here and there would be nice.

14. Well, I took six more cuts from my two mom plants last weekend. Had an unfortunate situation occur with those plants. Light came crashing down while I was out and I guess that the plants just didnt have it in them to bounce back...they just got worse and worse looking :(. I kicked myself for a while cause I meant to fix that hanging fixture....good news though is that I was able to get 3 cuts from each of them and as of today 5 out of six are sprouting tap roots :hello:. So approx 6-7 days I think. I also put my litte submersable aquarium heater in the cloner because the over night temps by the window have been turning the water cold.

The clones from my last pics here are now in 6 inch pots. I had them in party cups for a few days and they QUICKLY out grew the cups....I had roots that found their way out of the bottom of a few cups! I got rid of one clone that was lagging behind the others. I hate to throw out plants but I needed to free up space...its in my compost bin returning some goodness along with the two lost mothers....breaking down for recycle on my next batch of compost ;).

15. Ouch sorry to hear that I hate when I hear about things like this happening. Wish you luck on the clones taking their place. You are the second person I heard with a falling light in the past month. I am going to have to double check the strength of my light bar.

16. Yeah...Ive learned over time that one of the worst things that a grower can do is put things off that need to get done whether its area construction, pests or especially deficiencies...I kicked my own butt because I kept telling myself to fix it...and I never got around to it. Lesson learned once for all...hopefully :rolleyes:.

17. I've been hyper active on my first grow so far. Had a couple health issues, one of which I figured out was equipment fault but fixed now and monitoring. Just waiting for the cash to upgrade things and make them all better :). Figure all the effort I put in now and busting my ass getting this grow off the ground will pay off

18. Well I wish you success my friend....and I hope you're able to keep a good supply of clones when you need them using the FCCC ;).

19. Dums i love how that sounds FC CC

20. Yeah...kind of sounds like the name of a band :D.