favorite philosopher?

Discussion in 'General' started by CheeseVendor, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Who is the greatest, most influential philosopher in your life?

I'll start it with Marcus Aurelius, if you haven't read meditations, i strongly recommend it

[​IMG]

2. Terence McKenna.

Basically, his writings on the illusory nature of human culture helped me out of a depression/existential crisis where I was very upset at the course of my life. I was working two dead end, minimum wage jobs and could barely pay my way through community college, while my friends from high school were all off having the time of their lives at university, or traveling the world and generally living it up. I saw a downward spiral laid out before me, in stark terms.

McKenna helped me to realize that none of this truly exists. I have been accused of nihilism by people who have heard me espouse these views, but I see myself more of an observer just grateful to be along for the ride.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO62scTZ7Qk[/ame]

3. Walt Whitman. And me a hopeless Romantic.

4. Mr. Mckenna was a great and profoundly interesting man.

5. Alan Watts, hands down.

6. John Locke. What he did on the island was astounding.

Yup.

7. #8 Jdog Grows, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2013
    Jordan Maxwell, holy shit check this guy out NOW a modern day philosopher I guess you can call him or a researcher and pioneer, He is super intelligent. He also talked about how the Italian mafia pretty much owns america, he was a little kid growing up in Italy his uncles and uncles friends were all big-time lawyers and he would hear about everything they talked about, so you know he's not ignorant one bit.

this video he talks about symbolism and how it's literally unmasks history.
    another interesting thing is that on wikipedia you're not allowed to make a page about him and sources on google are jumbled and mixed up:Wikipedia won't allow creation of a Jordan Maxwell page, page 1

This is not for close-minded people.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgwMr_gdiv8]Jordan Maxwell - The Illuminati Exposed - YouTube[/ame]

He talks of the Illuminati of 1776 and how it all relates to things going on now(you dont have to be smart to watch this), so dont say aww just another Illuminati wacko.

8. #9 freedomisamyth, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2013
  9. its funny you started this off with Aurelius cuz just the other day i was reading about him for the first time.:smoke::smoke:shit happens man.1

10. Ayn Rand is pretty awesome.

Philosophers arent well liked in their time but I can say that a current well spoken philosopher today is Stefan Molyneux

11. Thomas paine

12. Too many to list so I guess I will just say Timothy Leary.