Heavy Metal Favorite Metallica song ever??????

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Eagleyedye, Apr 4, 2019.

1. The Thing That Should Not Be (Chug)

• Like Like x 2
  2. I like to think that finding Metallica was destiny. When I was a teenager(early 90s), I was walking home from the convenience store about half a mile from my then home. I happened across a tape on the side of the road.... ribbon all tangled and pulled out. Being a curious kid, I picked it up and wound it back. The tape was clear plastic with all the writing worn off. I took it home and popped it in my take deck. What came out changed my musical taste forever....i had never heard anything like it! What was the album? And Justice For All...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2

3. My two favorites

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. could add a cover version too. would say am i evil from diamond head or maybe the mercyful fate medley, but i think queen's stone cold crazy is more related to this forum :love-mj2:

5. I know what you mean!

• Like Like x 2
  6. I still love Metallica :dance2:

7. Kinda strange to me that no one said The Unforgiven or The Unforgiven 2. Those tie for my favorites and I usually will listen to them back to back.

Conrad's QB Corner [Perpetual Grow]

• Like Like x 2
  8. Seeing them live soon :jump:

• Like Like x 1
    1. Hit The Lights
    2. Ride The Lightning
    3. One
    My favorite guitar solo is from song 'Am I Evil'.

9. Probably “the Unforgiven” or “One”

10. . Sanitarium and. Master. Hell that whole albums kicks.
    Definitely favorite album.

Sent from my A574BL using Tapatalk

11. Master of Puppets for sure.
    Then Justice.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Another fine selection

13. I saw Metallica for the first time in the summer of 88 on the Monsters of Rock stadium tour. They were the band I went to see, and they played second, which kinda sucked. I'd been able to trade some cassette to a friend who had Master of Puppets the year before but didn't like it. I'd heard all about Metallica then through the magazines one had to read to keep abreast of all things metal. Needless to say, I'd never heard anything remotely like that in 1986, and while there were more of us, the world still did not know who Metallica was.

As for a favorite song? Shit, that depends on the day. Their best album, hands down is Master of Puppets, and if you disagree, well, I simply feel sorry for your soul as you're wrong. When I first listened to that, my favorite song was The Thing That Should Not Be. It was just unbelievable. Battery, to me at the time, sounded like a fuckin train out of control. Never had these ears heard something so, umm unreal maybe? I don't even know the words. I just know that band, that music, forever changed my life. I can name songs off every album I could listen to all day, every day, even the shitty Load and Reload albums. There are some really good songs on those POS albums.

Phantom Lord and Trapped Under Ice are two songs that I could definitely have on repeat all the time. As mentioned, Orion is just a fuckin ace of a song. Creeping Death. Lets not forget the unmentioned $5.98 EP where Newsted first played on wax for Metallica. I can still remember when AJFA first hit the stores, listening to Blackened. I'd waited for years to hear this shit. Newsted made such a huge impression on me during the Monsters of Rock tour, and he, in my mind, was the life force of their live show for years. He was the metal in Metallica on the emotional front. One was a great song, Shortest Straw. Harvester was so full of punch and ugly live. The Black album came and went. I was a tad disappointed. No, that's a lie. I was really disappointed even though there were some gems there with my favorite being Sad But True. But I could do without most of that album also. Something changed live for me after seeing them multiple times on that tour. James' voice changed as if he were actually trying to sing the songs that weren't meant to be sang that way. Slowly and slowly over the years, I quit seeing them live as it's just not ever as good as it once was. But anyway. Load. *cough* I can't say much about this or Reload without wanting to slap my dog. So I'll just name the songs I do enjoy from these horrible decisions. Load: King Nothing, Bleeding Me, The Outlaw Torn. Reload: Fixxer, sometimes Unforgiven 2. St. Anger rolls around. I was kinda excited. That died pretty quickly. It was as step in the right direction, for ME personally, but the song just sounds like damnit. Look, I can crap on a lot of things Metallica did, BUT I respect the hell outta them for doing what they wanted to do even if they alienated fans like me to a certain degree to grow and be this massive band they are today. Just how it goes sometimes. I like a few songs off St Anger, even with that horrible snare drum sound and no solos. But some of those songs? Geezus. I can do with never hearing some of them ever again.

Death Magnetic was definitely better, but it sounds OVER produced. Hardwired, again, lots of the songs I like, same with DM. I wouldn't say Metallica is my favorite band any longer, but I do enjoy them and respect them. I enjoy the memories I have of the parts of my life that include their music, which still occurs these days. They will always be the first band, first batch of music that literally changed my life.

Now, with that being said, that same year MoP dropped, a little band named Slayer dropped Reign in Blood. I bought that as a dare, and motherfucker, what did I open up at my house but the sounds of Hell itself, or at least I thought so then! Just another tale for another day.

• Like Like x 1
  14. The Unforgiven

15. There's so many but their cover of Turn the Page is awesome. That and The Unforgiven II are 2 of my favorites

Sent from my SM-A530W using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. Seek and Destroy is the one that does it for me. Ride the lightening as an album.

17. Thanks for the awesome post bro. I started this thread years ago. I agree about Master of puppets for sure. Then ride the lighting for me anyway. Keep rocking man!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

18. Ah. Guitar solo!!! Interesting.... I’d say the most badass solo in ride the lighting in ride the lighting album. Pretty sure Kirk won a award for that solo. I think it was like best metal solo of year on head bangers ball or something. I could google it but I’m lazy. If someone knows hit reply!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

19. #40 Deleted member 940351, Feb 29, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2020
    I dunno, even James Hetfield says that Ride The Lightning is their best album. It's always between those two albums, but I prefer Ride The Lightning because I think Cliff shines more on that album, the bass tone is thicker and more audible, not to mention that intro and solo in For Whom The Bell Tolls. It's also more versatile than Master of Puppets, you want the heaviest Metallica song ever, that's actually as heavy as a Slayer song? You've got Fight Fire With Fire. You want a ballad? You've got Fade to Black. And a kinda proggy instrumental piece? Call of Ktulu.

• Like Like x 1