Favorite Books

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by xWhitechapel420, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Sometimes I just like to read...
    What are your favorite books everyone?

My favorite fiction hands down would be The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. I wish I could find it, its fantastic...

I'm not sure what I would choose for non fiction. I like to read anything interesting like biographies of people I like etc.

Or am i the only person that reads here lol

2. Nine-Teen Eighty Four. The outsiders.

Non Fiction - Art of War. Hagakure.

3. Favorite book is "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury. Also really enjoyed the "Foundation" series by Isaac Asimov (if you like sci fi books you will love this, he also wrote I-robot, though it is nothing like the movie).

I also read a lot of westerns, mostly Louis L'amor but my favorite western is "Lonesome Dove" by Larry McMurtry.

4. I don't read on purpose

5. What's the purpose?

6. The only books I read without having to were the Harry Potter books when I was younger; like the first 3, and since then I've read the book Scar Tissue. I've been tempted to buy the book on Lennon but I don't know if I'll have much time to read it.

7. [​IMG]

8. His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman have always been favorites.
    Slaughterhouse-5 by Kurt Vonnegut.

9. Siddhartha by herman hesse is a great philosophical and enlightening type of book. I suggest everyone read it. It is an amazing piece of art. Seriously, read this book, so worth it I can't stress it enough. Shorter read too, less than 200 pages. If you are German then get it in German cause that version would be even more amazing since Herman Hesse wrote it in German and the english version is a translation but still fucking amazing. So read that book. All of Herman Hesse books are deep and if you read and like Siddhartha you should look into some of his other works.

Other than that I like Steven King books, they are interesting. Dan Brown writes some good books too that are fast paced and you just cant wait to read what happens next, any of his books I would recommend.

I am reading Dragons Teeth right now by Upton Sinclair....pretty damn good so far it is a story about the holocaust..not like a history of it but an intriguing story with solid historical facts woven into it artfully.

Remember, read Siddhartha and you will not be disappointed that book it so enlightening so read it damn it :D

10. Reading David Sedaris is like reading a stand-up comedian. He writes in the wittiest and yet emotionally frankest style, I really dig it.

Also, The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (people may have read it if they took French at some point in their lives) is a children's book with a magnificently profound underlying message, changed my life!

11. Stoner and spaz, icp behind the paint.

12. i havent read a whole lot of books.. mostly just mindless, nonsensical ficiton. favorites include:

less than zero
    american psycho<3
    the rules of attraction
    the informers
    by Ellis

the pelican brief
    the firm
    by Grisham

jaws
    beast
    by Benchley

salems lot
    pet sematary
    it
    by King

red dragon
    silence of the lambs
    hannibal
    hannibal rising
    by Harris

i havent read any fictional literature like 1984 or great expectations or moby dick or any of that.

but i did read animal farm in eleventh grade. twice, bc it was awesome. and i do like hg wells' war of the worlds, the time machine, the invisibile man and the island of dr moreau. those books are fucking awesome. and i like the call of the wild by london.

ive also read a few nonfiction books. but nothing to be too proud of, and no favorites really. well maybe harrington on hold em.

13. damn dude I had to read that Animal Farm book when i was in like 9th grade. I hated it though lol.

14. I agree that Siddhartha is great read. Another book that I read recently was lord of the flies and it was pretty good IMO

15. :love: (Lord of the Flies)

16. master and margarita, the dharma bums, junkie, brave new world, the wanting seed, and crime and punishment.

17. Rendevous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke is amazing

Travelling Vampire Show by Richard Laymon also is amazing and is a very fast paced book. one of those you cant stop reading (i started it at about midnight one night and read until i fell asleep on the book at around 7 in the morning, then when i woke up i kept reading until i finished)

Boy's life by Robert McCammon

anything by Stephen King

Louis L'amour is good stuff

Tarzan books are all great

All the King's Men

too many good books to list

18. [House of Leaves- Mark Z. Danielewski] I highly suggest this book to any and all book lovers. My favorite book of all time.
    Other favs include:
    Lord of the Flies- William Golding
    Alices adventures in wonderland- Lewis Carroll
    Through the Looking Glass- Lewis Carroll
    House of the Scorpion- Nancy Farmer
    Art of War- Sun Tzu

19. Walden by Thoreau
    and
    Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Nietzsche

these are my bibles