Fate

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by thabosshogg, May 12, 2011.

1. But is the choice to change personality fate or free will? In other words do the circumstances of one's life allow for this choice to take place (also the thoughts in one's head due to one's life experience up until that point) or is it a decision of its own accord?

I see this turning into a long circular debate that will take us nowhere lol. Perhaps we should just end this now before it becomes ridiculous. I could probably guess your response (which I'm sure is entirely reasonable and logical by the way, truly), and you could probably guess how I will respond to your response....

When it comes down to it I think that there is only so much to be said for either side.

2. You believe my wrong, huh?

Jokes aside, there's nothing to tell me I'm wrong about. That's where you're falling flat.

3. I respect your belief. Please just drop it..

4. I haven't stated any beliefs. Why do you keep repeating this? If you want it to drop you can just stop responding to me and stop being a parrot.

5. it comes from a judgment that a change is desired, which is likely to evolve as the information available from which to judge is increased (and distractions as well).

If you changed some information in your time travel example, a different judgement could be made as a result, but until we can time travel there's no reason to believe it's fatalistic. It could be, even right now, for the inevitable reason of the time travel, but assuming thousands of years of future time traveling reminds me someone probably ought to have caught someone from the future by now. So it might be, but there's reason to believe it isn't and no reason to believe it is.

When you consider that you are essentially straddling the knife edge of a long standing philosophical divide (essentially mind-body problem), I hope you had an inkling it would tack in that direction.

6. Because WHATEVERYOU decide to be true, is what you believe. If it is true to you that we just don't know, you must believe it, or it is not true to you. Weall create our own truths (beliefs). No one is correct, besides to ourselves. Now I am done with this conversation. If you do not believe me, that is for you to beside.

7. :laughing:

Why do you pretend to have an earnest discussion if you call saying "i dont know" a belief? Please do exit yourself from the conversation, as you have nothing to add.

8. :laughing:

9. Thank you for your meaningful contribution

It's good to see you follow my posts enough to dig through other threads to quote on unrelated ones. Especially for someone who has me on ignore.

10. the convictions of a human torch, unfortunately not the bravery

11. Hehe, I did.

I must say I've been enjoying this conversation though.... My main goal was simply to hear other's thoughts on my initial post, I was initially determined that fate is real and for the most part all pervading, and I still feel that way, but your posts have made me think a lot more deeply about the issue than I otherwise would have.