Fate?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Peace Pipe, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Lately ive stopped thinking about what happens after death and started to try to rationalize how so many people conform to popular religion (there are many obvious answers but none of them are very strong reasons.)

The only concrete answer I have gotten was Fate, you have to have faith in god or else you'll go to hell.

I don't believe that at all, the more i think about it the more fate seems meaningless.

What is fate really, I see fate as a an unproven spiritualy-soothing cure to uncertantity of after-life.

How do you look at fate? Do you see any meaning behind it whatsoever?

2. i don't belong to any one religion. i think they are all inter-related one way or another. i've chosen to go down a more spiritual path. to be at peace with myself and to be true to myself.

i believe life has it's synchronicities. that there is a blueprint of our goals, that we are guided and nudged through out life. but there is also free will. we choose to either listen or not. we make our own destiny, make our own choices good or bad.

i don't feel uncertain about the after life;)

now if u do not live a spiritual or religous life what so ever, but ur a good decent person, honest, helpfull, ect. ur not going to go to hell when you die. i don't think anyways.

this is just what i think, i could ramble on more but i'd just get off topic i'm not even sure what i've just typed even pertains to what was asked .... happy smokin;)

3. I've also been giving a lot of thought to fate and the chain of events that occur in it. I've been talking around and have tried to come up with some conclusions. I agree partially with Peace Pipe, but there seems to be more, I just don't exactly know what.

1. Every thing that happends has happened and will not happen any other way. You cannot change what you do, because no matter what you do the outcome is unavoidable. There is NO way to prove this until you die, and even then you may not be able to prove it, which partially makes me believe that fate does exist.

However...

2. The Chaos theory, which I read about last night is interesting in the term of fate. I believe that in 6th grade, a very simple choice I made that I wouldn't of thought twice about is now enabling me to travel to Florida for free, with one of my best friends. The simple matter of me switching homerooms would've made my life turn another route. I would've never met my best friend, and I wouldn't have gone to Florida. And if my plane crashes on the way to florida...the fate of my parents has changed to. Chaos Chaos Chaos.

I don't know where I went with this...but maybe Fate could just be human beings' way of coping with future...and how we can't seem to explain our destiny.

4. I think that its possible theres a fate maybe from things influencing each other such as pissing someone off and thats making a fate for you to get an act of anger on you. It could be more complex and go over years but i could be wrong or half right. No matter what the case you wotn be able to understand it so all you can do is roll with it and not dwell on the idea.

5. I dont clearly get what you are trying to say(orignal poster)

What do you mean by "do you see any meaning behind it"?

6. fate exists whether you deny it or not.. you're going to die, and along the way you conform yourself to your character/personality.. whatever actions may arise from the rest of your life, you will react to them in your own way

but look at it like this.. there is no possible way to change the past. that's fate. you're doomed to do what you like doing and you can't change that. even if you decide to change for someone else, you're getting pleasure from giving that person pleasure.

7. You talking about fate or faith???
    I don't quite agree. First off: Is suicide fate? Or free will?

Second: Doomed to do what you like doing? Please explain?

Third: Not being able to change what happened in the past is consistency of time, not fate!

8. As far as I know (which isn't very far) faith is to have fate so talking about one is talking about the other

9. Still don't get it. I thought faith was believing in something inexplanatory or something that can't bee proven, while fate is predestination.

Having faith in god doesn't mean you believe in fate. It could mean you believe in divine intervention.

10. Yeah your right, i'm talking about faith.

11. before i continue, you must know that your response was inevitable, call it fate..

suicide and all things are fate. suicide is also free will of course, how could it not. you CHOOSE your fate..

Doomed to do what you like doing: everything you do, you do b/c you like doing it otherwise why else would you do it. (exclude spasms like going to sleep, waking up, breathing, blinking, eating, shitting) everyone - all people - have a personality which was formed by past experiences. these experiences shape who you are. you get likes and dislikes. you go along doing what you like doing for that reason alone. if there's something you do that you don't like doing (washing dishes, taking out trash) it's for different reasons like necessity (like breathing but to another degree). those kinds of things must be done. like getting a job doing what you begin to hate only for the money. getting a job is a necessity in this world, and you do it for the money, no other reason, so in actuality you enjoy doing it b/c in the end you get paid to do it, even if you hate your job.

can you possibly do things that you hate doing out of free will? not likely, so you are doomed to do the things you like doing, and not even you can change that. (unless you're drunk but i'm talking about being sober here)

you are doomed to being yourself, and that is fate via free will

(read some Paul Holbach if you're still unclear on what i mean. it's hard to take in, it's like blind faith in a way, but through reason. though reason is not always truth, just justified belief)

Not being able to change what happened in the past is consistency of time, not fate! - hmm i'm not sure how to explain this in words, you'd really have to go into my mind.. when i find the words i'll post post-haste

12. Okay suicide is a choice, free will. Take this example: "Kurt Cobain killed himself on april 5th". Okay this phrase is true, now would the same phrase be true before he was born? Was he destined to kill himself on this date?

Just an example, use it anyway you like.

13. Flimsy rationalization my friend. His, inevitable response, was due to the fact we're posting our thoughts in a thread on fate. Correct, you choose your own path, and choosing a path may have forseen outcomes along the way. But the outcome, direction, and nature of that path is controlled entirely by you. Fate is a tricky notion, as soon as you believe in it, you begin accepting things as they are. This in itself gives birth to your own individual fate. A vicious circle you can only break by realizing no composites are solid. The entire human race suffers a lack of confidence due to the fact we don't know exactly what the hell we're doing here. Fate is another concept we've developed to try and quench our ignorance. But what is living if we arent blustering through the cosmos.. :D

14. I knew you were going to say something like that.

I'ma read some Paul Holbach to see if I find some interesting enw ideas, though...cheers

15. That's a great way to put it exactly my thoughts fate or faith or whatever the fuck it is are all quick explanations to our shitty ignorant religous concepts that everyday become more and more untrue.

16. I as a catholic have been thinking about faith myself. If you are a good catholic that is supposed to mean you go to heaven. But what if you are muslim or jewish? Why is there more than one religion if we are all going to the same place? If you happen to choose one religion, could this mean that you will not go to heaven? What Im trying to say is that if you have faith in yourself and are a good person, you will go somewhere good after life. I just think religion is a way to preach the moral values in life. The only thing I dont get is if you have faith in your religion and are learning good morals, than why are there all these holy wars? (crusades, jihads) Im starting to question my own faith, but yet I still think there is a greater being.