Fate or choices?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by mashcat, Feb 20, 2004.

1. If the universe always was it would be stagnant and symmetrical without some spontaneity wouldn't it?

How can you trace cause and effect back indefinatly? At some point there has to be a first cause

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. I see it like this, the creator has a set plan for us. This is the ideal lifestyle it wants us to follow. However, due to society and its corrupt nature, we tend to stray from that plan. That's where choice comes into play. The creator knows from the start what decisions we will make, when we will make them, everything. However, there is an underlying plan it has laid out for us. I would use the term "free will" loosely, as no matter what, we are going to make the decision we make. There are numerous theories in parallel universes and such, which all include the same being but different choices. All of which containing the same plan set out for us originally. They are all just different scenarios based on what choices we make.

🍁🔥💨

3. Why would it be?
    If time goes back infinitely then the chain of events should also. It is hard to conceive of existence as going back in time infinitely though. I find it puzzling to think of because it does seem like it must have all had to begin at some point with some first action. That may be the case but it also may be that we are more inclined to see it that way since we are beings with a beginning and an end. We do not experience infinity, we only theorize about it.

4. some things you can control, others you can't. mix of fate & choice

5. lois from malcolm in the middle said it best. fate is what you call it when you don"t know the name of the guy screwing you over.