Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Fat for edibles

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by extended, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Anybody ever try bacon fat or beef fat. I have always heard that the higher the fat content the better. It seems like that would be the highest, and as far as bacteria goes thats killed by heating so shouldnt be a problem right?

2. Well I thought I'd already posted the tutorial in the CannaPharm, but I guess I haven't got around to it yet :)

Yes, you can use animal fats... but, they generally contain large amounts of (if not all) long-chain triglycerides, which are good for lymphatic absorption, but not for the portal vein and liver conversion we're usually looking for in an edible. Liver conversion is most responsible for providing the 'memorable' and powerful edible experience, while lymphatic absorption, bypassing the liver all together, is much more weak in comparison :)

Short and medium-chain triglycerides absorb in different areas of your body, than the long chain triglycerides in most animal fat. Milk is somewhat unique, being an 'animal fat', that contains medium and short-chain triglycerides. But pork or beef fat, has the long-chains we're trying to avoid, while the SCT/MCTs in milk or butter and coconut oil, will absorb more easily through the portal vein.

When I do make a clarified bacon or beef oil, I still use between a 1 : 2 - 1 : 1 ratio of coconut oil, to animal fat.
    This is because coconut oil has very high quantities of MCT/(medium-chain), it does not require bile salts for digestion, and is absorbed rapidly into the portal vein, through to the liver where conversion from D9-THC, to 11-OH-THC occurs...according to the experts, this conversion is responsible for sensations between 3 and 5 times greater in strength, than the sensations provided by unconverted D9-THC. (This is not decarboxylation: when you decarb herb, you're removing the carboxyl group in the form of carbon dioxide and water vapor, converting THCA, into THC/D9-THC.)

Long-chains are certainly useful for patients who can not eat before medicating, who have very hungry livers, that can potentially destroy, rather than convert their THC. A long-chain oil can bypass the liver, avoiding potential destruction.
    But for the most powerful experience, you want to try and encourage as much gentle liver conversion as possible. Coconut oil, and clarified butter, are really your best options. :)

These are made with hash-infused smokey bacon oil;

[​IMG]

So yes, you can use animal fats... but be sure you're aware of the different effects, that different fats can have, on your edible experience. :)

3. Awesome answer man thanks. So based on that a fat extraction from avb would be pointless and would be better with coconut oil right?

Also is the experience just more milder and/or longer? Or is there a possiblity that your liver could just destroy the thc completely.

I thought of this the other day because coconut oil is expensive and beef fat is free or cheap at most supermarkets.

4. In my experience coconut oil is at least 2x better than butter

I haven't used any other animal fat, but I can't see them working any better than butter :wave:

5. I've only ever used coconut oil and indeed it's the best fat to use for thc extraction imo

6. #6 infiniteawesome, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2011
    I've only ever used coconut oil and indeed it's the best fat to use for THC extraction imo