Fans with the lights off?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jmo177, Nov 3, 2010.

1. I am currently growing 3 plants in soil in a box 4ft h x 3ft w x 1.5ft d. Should I be running my 6in intake fan when the lights are off? My plants are healthy and have been growing fine, but I wasn't sure about the fan. I have not been running it when the lights are off. Thanks for the help.

2. I run my fans 24/7... I figure even in the dark, moving fresh air in and moisture out is a good idea.

3. iv all ways left my fans off at night and its not don them any harm i suppose its up to you it might get to cold if you leave them on just see wot it drops to if you decide to leave them on before you leave them on all the time brov

4. your plants release 10x the water at night then they do during the day, a reason to maybe leave the fans running to make sure no mold starts.

5. I run fans 24/7 too.

6. Ive run fans off and fans on with lights off and they do fine either way. its a pretty durable plant hope this helps

7. once you get good sized colas...fans on are a must to prevent mold and mildew..do you sleep better in a stuffy room or one with fans and a nice breeze...also can't have too strong a stems:smoke:

8. I don't believe this is true. The way I understand it is, at night cannabis looses more water than it takes up in it's roots, and during the day it takes up more water than it releases. However, much more water vapor is release during lights on than lights off, just not as much in relation to how much is coming in.

Rough Example.

Daylight:
    Takes up: 1 gallon
    Releases: .75 gallon

Nighttime:
    Takes up: .25 gallon
    Releases: .5 gallon

So in relation to how much the plant takes up, a plant will release much more water at night, but by pure volume it will release much more during the day.

At least that's how I understand it to be, please correct me if I'm wrong.

______

To get back on topic: I think you're just fine leaving your intake fan on to keep fresh air circulating during lights off.

9. yea dont know the science of it but i know that my spikes are when the lights are off. during the day i stay at 50%- humidity and when the lots turn off i get my spikes to 70%ish and my dehus are playing catchup till they drop it back down.

dont remeber if cold air holds more water then warm but that could also effect it since once lights are out i lose 10-12 degrees.

10. Thanks for all the response. I peaked into my box to turn on the fan and noticed my plants drooping. Is this normal during the dark period? They have been on the 12/12 cycle for 3 days. This is the first time I have seen them in the dark. Will they perk back up once the lights are one. I watered 3 days ago.

11. mine do

12. yup....energy goes into the rootmass...leaves are solar panels...not much to do at night:smoke:plants are pretty smart;)

13. unless your fan is dropping the temperature in your room a significant amount, I'd say keep it running. I leave mine.

14. I turn my fan off at night, but onl to save on temmps.

15. i have my lights on at night. i just started flowering today and i have the lights come on at 630 pm and go off at 630 am. i didnt run my fans today (night time) should i keep the exhaust fan running when its dark in the room?