Fans Needed for New Grow Tent?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by rydin4life, May 13, 2017.

1. I'm about to start my first grow as soon as seeds arrive. I have a 2x4x6 tent set up. I'm doing to do one plant in a 3 gallon smart pot just to get my feet wet with one Mars hydro 300 and a 6" clamp fan for circulation. While I only have one light for one plant, I plan to get a second Mars hydro 300 for doing 2-3 plants on a regular basis. My question is, will I need exhaust fans? I only care about heat, not smell as I live by myself. Will it get hot enough t need them? My tent is in my basement which is curently 64 degrees. If so, do I need intake fans pulling fresh air in from one of the vents and another blowing hot air out or just a fan blowing out? My tent does have 6" x 12" screened openings at the bottom to allow air in if i choose. And...4" or 6" fan (could go up to 9", but seems overkill).

2. You will want inline duct fans to pull air through your tent. Keeps the air rich and fresh. Makes a huge difference.what strain you growing?

• Like Like x 1
  3. How are the inline fans different from two separate fans? Any recommendations? I'm starting with Nirvana auto Northern Lights, but I also have some feminized photo and auto seeds ordered from Seedsman.

4. Fans inside are needed to create "turbulence " and strengthen the plant and reduce stretching. But they will not pull air through. You need one pulling air in one pulling air out. Then one for the inside as well. two fans in the tent will only move the same stale air around. You have to get fresh air in that tent as regularly as possible. Leaving vents open for an auto is okay but you will not want that on your photos.
    Have you ever checked out mephisto genetics? These auto stand up next to most photo strains just fine. I ordered three seeds got 11( all labeled). Ordered one seed of three strains. Got two of each. And a free 5 pack from 420 promo!

5. Also, my round holes are on top left, top right, and top of tent. The open screened rectangles are on bottom left and bottom right. Should the intake and exhaust fans be right across from each other like that?

6. I looked at mephisto, but my budget is about done for the moment.

7. Should be fine. One blowing air down one pulling up. On opposite sides of the tent. Your budget will get better my friend.

8. So the intake with a 90 degree duct blowing down and an exhaust also with a 90 degree duct facing down? So, one blowing down and one sucking up across from each other, correct? That going to be good movement, where would you put the regulag clip fan or do I not need that? Also, guessing speed controllers would be good. Any suggestuons?

9. if you have exhaust fan you don't need intake fan, just need to make sure passive intake hole is slightly larger than the out hole

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sorry, what do you mean by passive intake hole?

11. #11 ZebraHaze, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017
    like you don't need intake fan, only exhaust.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Right now I have a surge protector (Belkin, protetion up to 2200 joules) with the Mars Hydro 300 (eventually will be 2 of those) and the 6" desk fan. I have that surge protector into a mechanical timer at the wall. If I add an exhaust fan, will that be safe?

13. so the light leaks from that rectangular hole suffice as well? Why deal with seedy weed or harvesting early cause they went Bruce Jenner, when you can buy another fan...

• Like Like x 1
  14. I mean.... you can rig some shit up to prevent that light leak, but it's easier to just get a cheap booster fan and make that light proof. For the record I used option A on my first harvest and it went fine, I'm just working to make everything "perfect"

Smokeyfisherman's Tiny Tent 2.0

https://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?threads/Smokeyfisherman's-Tiny-Tent-2.0.1455003/

• Like Like x 1
  15. This is why asking basic questions on and online forum is a terrible idea. You will get a bunch of semi experienced advice because it's an "easy question". Everyone is so quick to help. Yikes. You do need an exhaust fan, you don't necessarily need an intake fan but you do need to make sure the intake is only intaking air and not light. And here comes the headache lol

Smokeyfisherman's Tiny Tent 2.0

https://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?threads/Smokeyfisherman's-Tiny-Tent-2.0.1455003/

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. If you live by yourself and the tent is in the basement, then where are the light leaks coming from? I haven't zippered my tent in years, no hermies. That's the best part of growing in a cool dark basement, imo.

There are a lot of things you can do to reduce your chances of getting a hermie, but indirect light from a 9w led on the other side of the basement isn't going to do shit. Direct sunlight? Another grow light? Genetically predisposed bagseed? Absolutely.

Been growing this way for years, no issues. People who go all out covering light leaks and then grow bagseed in a hot tent are more likely to end up with a hermie than I am with my open tent, stable genetics, and indirect light from energy saving bulbs 15' away.

The only thing you need to add is an exhaust fan and a circulation fan. Intake fans are useful if you're piping in cool air from a crawlspace or something, otherwise they can raise temps. A 4" inline is 90w and will create some heat.

17. @Thicken Dense I wasn't so concerned with smell or light leak being by myself, I was actually going to ask why the tents have those screened vents if light leak is such an issue.

Anyway, I have the circulation fan and will look for an exhaust fan as well along with an intake fan if needed. I still need to grab a second LED so well see what that totals. ThanKS again for all the info.

• Like Like x 1