Fans, leave or chop

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by JamesK, Feb 9, 2018.

1. 0758000B-94F8-4B0A-BADF-057AD26E0F77.jpeg
    26972EBC-13CC-4967-A3B8-D70771855C1D.jpeg
    F7C70567-4D09-46B8-AC2C-63F9FDBCE1E9.jpeg
    This is my first grow so I am still very much a noob so please bear with me, I know every answer to this question will probably be different so I’m really just looking for personal opinions. My plants are 37 days old and 4 days into flower. I have been trimming little by little as I think is needed but i really want to give them a good trim so I’m not wasting plant energy on worthless branches. I know all those little growth tips at the bottom of the bigger plant need to go, but what about all those giant fans? There not anywhere near the light most are just resting on the side of the pot and some are even bigger than my hand. I guess my main question is would taking these fans do my plants more harm than good? And how much should I actually trim them down?

2. Personally I would leave them for now but that's just my opinion.

3. Your fan leaves are the life line for your plant. They act as solar panels taking in light and converting it into energy for the plant. And you said it was in flower and that is a bad time to be trimming any way. She needs all the energy to flower and to grow big ass buds. So if I were you I would stop the trimming.

Will

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I agree with Will to a point. Since they're in flowering now you don't want to do any stressing, but the week before you flipped you could have cleaned up the bottom bud sites since that's wasted energy the plant would put towards developing flowers in spots that will get minimal light. Not a big deal, but I'd just remember it for you next run.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Check out the defoliation threads around the net. Indoors under one light, defoliation can help a great deal. I whack leaves and under growth at 15 days of 12/12, I clean up again at day 30ish if i have to, then at day 45 12/12 I really clean it up. This works for me, maybe not for everyone.

Defol not only help air flow, but it gets light to lower sites that would be larf otherwise. Combine this with a partial harvest of top colas, and your larf turns to solid frosty nuggets of love.

Here is a photo of my partial harvested plant, with massive defol throughout. Flipped to 12/12 after only 30 days from seed, and got pretty good results:

This is an og, still a few golf balls up top, but all solid thru the whole plant. P2090309.JPG
    Here is what the defol'd plant looks like b 4 partial harvest, nothing spectacular, but solid throughout.
    P2090309.JPG P2090306.JPG

Your plants are too young to pluck fans off.

Research it first, and have a test plant, you dont hold dear, and do some experimenting.

This is not a technique used frivilously, timing is the key. Read up, and give it a try.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yes I also agree with Cloudz2021 Could have been trimed before flower. But good advice for your next grow as Cloudz2021 stated.

Will

• Like Like x 1
  7. I have and I do my trimming durning veg not flower. That way as Cloudz2021 stated she puts all her energy into flower not making more leaves. Just my opinion.

Will