Fans*Fan Problems in General

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by dford, Apr 18, 2011.

1. alrighty, stoned as always tinkering the toy. yet my toy doesn't seem to want to drop temperature as we all intend to do. ambient room temp is 78. my micro box is 17 1/2x14x37. i have too big a bubble bucket (5 gallon) ** looking into smaller rubbermaid ** sitting in the bottom with two 85 watt 56k cfl over topp with a jerry rigged hood outta ducting. on to the REAL PROBLEM. i have one oscilating fan bucket height moving air around, i also have a 4 inch fan directed dircetly upwards sitting next to ONE of TWO 2x5 inch holes cut into the bottom blowing "CoOl" air in. I ALSO have a 6 inch hole for a fan mounted top rear center blowing air out the top.... YETTTT, my frick frack razzle mcdazzlin temp sits at 84-90. i've managed to up the humidity to around 35 but the DAMN TEMP IS ERKIN THE BEJEEEEZZZUSSSS OUTTA ME! SOO my question is, how the hell is the temp still chillin, or should i say heating at 86 average WTF? will a 4 inch inline fan blowing 200 cfm cool the bitch or what should I do?? ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
    I have photos but for some reason i have difficulties loading :smoke:

2. Do you have an exhaust fan? If you don't have any fans pushing all of that hot air out its just going to be sitting in there getting hotter.

If the box is completely sealed off with no fresh, cool is coming in then yea..

3. exhaust fan... yes, sure done didder that first thing building the box. i'm thinkin it is too dinky ( the six dollar POS from wally world ) modified a little of course. i have a make shift hood that i've tucked the oscilating fan between lights n hood. seems to help quite a bit. another possible problem may lie with there only being like two inches of space on the end for air to suck up to the exhuast fan??? would some vent tubing around the exhuast fan to a hole cut into the hood work better??

... was thinkin about doing the 48$ wal mart high velocity in-line 275 cfm fan mod.
    but then got to thinkin i didn't want me plant to get sucked out of the box (17x14x37)ish

4. I thought about sitting a gallon jug of frozen water in front of my PC case where the intake is so the air going into the case is chilled a bit more...haven't done it yet but Im thinking about doing it. Im having temp problems too and I know its because of the temperature in my room and outside. When it gets hot outside or in my room the temp in my box goes up to 90 or above!

5. Im in the same boat, my box gets too 90 or above. When Im in the room I have to leave the door open to vent it so it remains at around 85. At night it drops to 80, which is the ideal spot id like to be at all day round

6. allllrighty fellaz. well i've posted a grow journal about, well my grow. haha. anyhow, first grow temp problems with these damn fans. soo is what i've done first off is basically gotten down the time when it gets hotter/colder where i live. i kick on the swamp cooler for about 20-30 minutes during the hot hot part of the day and possibly crack the door to my grow "cupboard" this usually get my temp around 79-81 degrees. the swamp cooler also provideds a boost of humidity. seems i can get about an additional 7% with it on and usually stays for a few hours.
    now, on to todays adventure. so the POS wally fan got covered today with 4 inch flexy vent tubing. i had to cut some of the tubing to open it up wide enough to cover the fan, but after some fennagling and duct tape, i got it covered. the other end of the vent tube goes straight to my make shift hood sucking the heat up directly and out rather than fighting the tiny space around the hood up out.
    i'm thinking the cruddy fan may crap out, but i have another ( i purchased in an attempt to push more air around, but it seems it only provides more heat than air flow at times )

if this doesn't work, i'm sayin ta hell with it, and i may just purchase an inline high velocity.

check out the journal if you want :D
    http://forum.grasscity.com/micro-grows/801343-first-grow-rollin-stealthy-og-kush-bubbles.html

7. hmmm, jug of frozen water.....

8. [​IMG]
    so the fan that the vent tubing is covering is the cheap six dollar type, about a 4 inch blade from wal mart. the tubing is attached to the hood which has a hole. DuH. then there is a fan to push/pull hot air off/from the lights to the hole... temps still sit quite hot. and i don't like it. any suggestions. i just chopped away a bunch more of the passive intake the fan is covering in the bottom right to make it much larger... and still the temps rise. ANY SUGGESTIONS??? btw i have two holes, one on each bottom sides of box.

9. #9 TBM, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2011
    I don't see your intakes on the floor. Is the sum of the area of the intake holes 2 times bigger than the area of the exhaust hole? Area of circle = 3.14 x diameter.

The small 4" fan that is pointing straight up will not suck air in like that. You need to get it right on the hole or better yet attached to the hole.

From what I see, you have intake/exhaust dimensions to fix. More intake is probably needed, or add a fan sealed to the intake hole so it actually sucks more air in.

10. Well, just like back in the PC modding days, it's all about "flow". You typically want one in, one out. No other holes to disturb the flow. You want a fan, PULLING cool ambient air in and one pulling hot air out. This passive cooling just isn't much effective.
    I'm running a little over 100wt in an 17in PC case. 120mm fan in, 120mm fan out. Temp is 77f, ambient is 73f.

11. the fan on bottom WAS covering the hole. the other fan WAS stupid huge, counter productive. and the fan in the ducting WAS stupid weak. the intake holes are exponentially too large for the exhaust. i used to be a jet engine mechanic, its burnoulis principal... anyhow though, i was desperate and fell off course with all that added junk.

12. very strange how all this worked out, even with your post... haha i just got home and modified......
    so i smartened up and headed to radio shack. hell yes. picked up two 120mm fans for 10$ each, came home cut a phone charger, removed ALL THREE fans, and the vent ducting, installed ONE 120mm in place of the "exhaust" fan. get a load of this. the temps AND humidity are dead on.

i'll throw up a pic, i'm letting stabilize to know for sure. off topic i picked up a TDS stick at the hydro store also. lucas formula. oh yes.

soo, i think problem solved. i think.. we'll see...:hello:

13. sweet man!
    ya.. i used to overclock PCs as a hobby. just carried that over. Your "PC" is very large though.. 2x 120s might do it.
    But I know nothing about growing yet.. :( trying to learn.

14. haha, one right now brings the temp down to 73f :mad:
    so what do i do? i add more lights. haha. i may add the second fan for flower because of the extra 20w per bulb. who knows though we'll just have to see when they get here!!

15. o, so your saying it's too cold now? lol.
    mm.. yeah pump up some watts a bit.

OR, run the fans a different speeds. You can run a 12v fan either: 12v, 7v or 5v just depending on how your wire them with nothing extra to buy. :)

16. #16 dford, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2011
    :mad: recieved 1000bulbsdotcom order. 105w27k cfl on nights stand.....and then it was on the carpet. broken. luckily i bought two. 65k is the largest home depot has. ya'll think one 65w + one 105w + two 42w 27k and one 85w56k? i'm trying to return it. but they aren't open on the weekends. :mad: