Fan speed controller

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by bubba01, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Just ordered an active air fan speed controller buy Hydrofarm for a 4 inch hydrofarm inline fan. After searching and reading many posts on speed controllers it seemed they all have some sort of shortcoming, from a hum to melting! Should I mount this speed controller on a fireproof surface? Probably will be at 50% to 75%.  

2. I've been using the exact controller with the exact fan (except mine is 6") for months and months and haven't had a problem. There's a minor hum, but I can only hear it when I turn the fan down low. Otherwise the noise from the fan and the air movement more than drown it out.

3. #3 chiefton8, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2013
    I have two fan speed controllers running (one for intake and one for outtake), and never had any problems with humming or melting. Perhaps the fans people were using were not compatible with the controllers, or the controllers themselves were defective?  Either way, I consider the fan speed controller a necessity for my growing...gives me great control over the environment of the tent.  

4. I am using a fan speed controller also.  I will mention that there are two types of fan speed controllers out there.  I am using the cheaper fan speed controller which is probably also the most common one thats used among growers.  This Fan Speed Controller is the other one thats out there and its quite a bit more expensive than the cheaper one.  Electricity operates on cycles which is 60 cycles per second.  A cylcle can be though of like a time slot.  Meaning its a slot for that particular time.  A second is divided up into 60 chunks or 60 cycles.  As you turn the knob down on the cheaper one, what happens is the number of those cycles where the power is actually on starts reducing.  Meaning rather than just lowering the voltage, it reduces the number of cycles.  So the fan could be on this split second, off the next, maybe on the next.  That is actually what creates the hum which is found from the cheaper fan speed controller.  Some have also said that hum that it creates can also wear down the bearings faster.  I have not confirmed that myself, but that is something that I read on a review.  Then the more expensive type of controller actually reduces the voltage as you turn it down.  That way as you turn it down, there is no hum.  I have not tried one of those more expensive types yet myself, but I plan on it very soon.  I heard that they make the fan quite a bit quieter because there is no hum just due to the fact it adjusts the voltage rather than cycles.

5. Thanks for the replies, and not a negative reply yet.