Fan light leaks and filter help needed

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Sebby1, Mar 28, 2014.

1. I'm planning to grow plants in a cardboard box which was used for a small freezer. I'd put mylar foil all around the inside of a box, make a door on the front side of box and probably install 3 or 4 PC fans for air input and output. At the top of the box there would be 6 or so dual spectrum CFL lights.

My question is how do you guys prevent light leaking in and out through the PC fans? I'd have the box in my bedroom and I'd like it dark during the nighttime so there shouldn't be any leakage through fans. Also, when plants need to have rest, there shouldn't be any leakage backwards from my room into the box. How do you guys make sure there is no leakage?

My second question is about the smell. I don't have air ducts in my room so I can't take the air from the box into them. I have in mind some kind of filter, filtering the air directly that is coming through the output fans. Is there some kind of carbon fabric to put over output holes on the box or what could you recommend me? What do you use for that purpose? 

2. First things first, hi. You can prevent light from leaking both ways by making a light trap, you can look it up I don't have a link. Also if you don't have a carbon filter and exhaust fan you can purchase ona gel from like Wal-Mart or your local hydroponics store. Hope that helps.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. #3 Th3W3ird0n3, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2014
    I have been looking it up alot but I just can't seem to find any solution for that. I'm wondering that people probably don't care about light leaks because they grow it in basement or something. I'd really appreciate to see some solution for fan light leaks and how to solve filtering air from the exhaust fan.

5. There's a video on YouTube that I got an idea for light traps, loom up how to build a grow box there's like 24 videos the light trap part is on like 20 or something I believe, as for the filter there is a really nice filter on google its a diy search DIY carbon filter you'll know which one it is when you see it.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. An easy fix is a carbon filter fabric (like the type you use in kitchen air Hood). It will pretty much block the light emission while also removing odor.

I would use in conjunction with some form of mesh.

7. they work for smell for about uh 15-20min

set up like this is what helped me most

http://boards.cannabis.com/attachments/grow-faqs/113982d1163008932-diy-how-carbon-filter-supplies.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/29atjrk.jpg

ends up like this

worked wonders after about 6 failed attempts

finding a small fan to pull it all is the hard part

8. I used to have a micro grow cab in my closet with a 250w CMH and i didnt use any carbon filter. Just used an ona bucket with some water and I was good all grow long. No smell. Sorry, cant help with the light trap part.