Fan Leaves

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by CamMan, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Is it a good idea to cut off all of the fan leaves to increase yeild? My plants have been flowering for 2 wks. Will it hurt the yeild or help it to cut off the fan leaves?

2. I'm no expert but why would you want to cut off all the leaves? The plant grew them for a reason...

3. leave the leaves on, it still needs them for photosynthesis, and also later in flowering the leaves will turn yellow, as the plant uses up all the nutes locked in them..........you can trim selected leaves, to allow penetration of light, to the lower bud sites.........or as i do, cut the selected leaves in half........Peace out........Sid

4. Thanks Sid.

Not all the leaves Ganja, just the fan leaves. My theory is that if you cut off the fan leaves it will put more energy into the bud.

5. The fan leaves provide transpiration for the plant ( let it breathe ) plus if you notice each fan leaf powers a shoot above it , if you cut off the fan leaf the shoot will not grow in length anymore , aim for shoots at least 6-8 inches long for a classic xmas tree shape and trim selected fan leaves off any shoots that are longer .also i normally trim any little scrag shoots off the bottom 3 inches of most main shoots as these usually priduce hardly any bud or mainly scrag bud which is not worth the hassle ,
    This sshould leave you with a classic xmas shape with all good top colas and good buds halfway down the shoots getting plenty of light.
    As the fan leaves turn yellow you can usually snap them off , this happens normally when the plant has about 2-3 weeks to go till ripe.

6. If you are not getting sufficient light penetration to your lower or inner leaves, it is helpful to trim some (note, I said some, not all) fan leaves to let the light starved leaves access to light.