fan leaves going yellow and dying off

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by realdozzy, Apr 4, 2013.

1. I have 3 auto#1 plants and the pistols on all the buds are turning amber and the lower fan leaves are turning yellow and dying off. I have read that when the fan leaves start turning yellow and dying off then the plant is ready to harvest. How right is this as if it is correct then i will chop 2nite. Im looking at about 4oz of bud wet maybe a bit more. But then that is just going by the size if the bud and the amount of bud on the plants. This is my first grow so for a first grow i think 4oz is great. Have read that is is very unusual for a first grow to produce a decent amount of weed but this one has. Anyway can anyone help on the yellowing leaves and if ready to chop.

2. Yellowing of lower leaves comes from a lack Of light, also late in flower plants start to show nitrogen defeicency because the plant doesn't use as much in flower. You do not go by the yellowing of leaves to determine of your plant is ready. You NEED to get a pocket microscpope and check the trichomes (the look like light bulbs. Put microscope on sides of buds not on sugar leaves as these don't give a accurate depiction. You want to wait until trichomes are all cloudy at least with NO clear trichomes. You might even wanna wait (like I do) untill you see amber trichomes, this gives you more of the couch lock feel.

Also you should try searching the forum this question has been asked many times. Hopefully this helps good luck!

3. 4oz's wet you can figure a 1/4 of that dry

4. I have been told to check the trichomes for them changing amber. Now im not quite sure what the trichomes are. Can someone tell me please are they the little tiny clear things on the bud that looks a bit like a transparent mushroom.

5. Yes that's them! If clear not ready

6. You can also wait for the hairs to start curling in that's also a tell tale sign.

7. I always use a pocket microscope just like junglejim is describing... Don't go by fan leaves dying off that is normal after flushing prior to harvest... If u even notice one amber torch its ready if u see any red trichs that have broken off you are too late and are diminishing potency. There is a window of prime harvest time that only lasts about a week... Pocket microscope only costs about 10 dollars at an electronics store I got mine at The Source

8. I meant trich not torch don't want to confuse you that's just my autocorrect on my smart/dumb phone