Fan controller, ventilation question!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by setitandforgetit, Dec 9, 2019.

1. hello pals!
    I recently bought a fan temp controller, and have it set to click on at 74°. I was wondering - if the fan is off at night, is my tent getting enough fresh air exchange ? I have a 400cfm fan for the exaust and have one bottom flap open for the passive intake, with two small fans inside the tent. Maybe I should open an additional flap at night and close it back up during the day??? any help much appreciated. Its my first auto grow, not too shabby so far.
    cheers!

Attached Files:

2. my fan controller is hooked up to the sole exaust fan!

3. Has it got
    I have a fan speed controller with 2 dials and a probe, does yours? If so there should be a dial to set it at what u want it to run at (I have mine running at about half speed) this let's the extractor tick over and still brings fresh air in. The other dial should control the maximum temperature u want to allow ur room to get to, when this happens the extractor should turn on full speed and exhaust the excess heat, then once the temps back down it should turn back to tick over. Hope that makes sense. This is one similar to mine.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. thank you for the reply!!! my controller has no speed option, its either on full speed at 74+ or off. it does have a probe. that controller looks very nice. ill have to invest in one. do you think my exaust being off at night for the time being will diminish quality or cause any problems ?

5. In my opinion it would depend on what stage there at, if they are in the beginning veg I wouldn't worry quite as much but with the fan off during flower I'd be more careful, keep an eye on humidity levels.

• Like Like x 1
  6. n
    most def!!! so are you implying that the potential issue would be high rh, and not so much air exchange?? thank you so much for your help.

7. #7 Trichome Harvester, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Do u need to turn ur extractor off at night?? Keep an extra flap open. Obviously air exchange is important but u want to be careful that rh isn't to high during flower as to much moisture e might cause rot problems. Make sure uve at least got plenty of air movement in ur room with normal fans. This is of course only my opinion someone else might have a different one. Also on side note if ur worried there not getting enough co2 u could chuck some water, brewers yeast and sugar together and make a basic co2 generator. Hope this helped, good luck

• Like Like x 1
  8. Many (most?) of us leave the exhaust fan on 24/7.
    Otherwise humidity can approach 100%.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Is there a reason u need to turn it off??

• Like Like x 1
  10. i was doing it because of low temps at night/lights off. it gets to like 60 degrees. sometimes a bit lower. as far as i know thats pushing the low end of optimal temps. should i just leave it on?

11. my all time high (including fan off) is 79% (right after watering) averaging around 40%.

12. #12 Trichome Harvester, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Sorry I should have askes that question from the start about why ur turning it off. Yeah leave it on and In that case why don't u put a little oil filled heater on a timer in there. Don't use a fan heater though! From the research I've done they don't mind a fuxuation in temps of around 8.c. But u might want to cross reference that.

13. I use a fan heater, and believe they are best.
    The built-in thermostats are usually crap, but an inkbird controller can keep temps accurate to 1 degree F.
    And allow for different nighttime temps.
    Oil heaters can retain unwanted heat even after shutting off.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ah cool whatever works for ur situation everyones room and setup is slightly different, I personally don't have alot of space so find a little oil heater works for me. I have seen people use fan heaters and accidentally fry plants before, I Understand what u mean about the oil heaters staying hot for a while after they go off. It does take a bit of setting up with timer I have mine go off on the timer few mins before my light comes on, but if the room is still a little warm my fan speed controller kicks in anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  15. fosho, im gonna get a lil heater for the winter. I adjusted my fan controller to click of below 60, so it should stay on like 22-23 hrs of the day now. thank you so much!

• Like Like x 1
  16. good looks!