Fan air noise question....

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by lucky1972, Sep 19, 2016.

1. I know this has probably been brought up before but i didn't see it anywhere.

Is there something I can do to lessen the noise of the air coming out the exhaust vent?

I just started my first closet and have a 4" exhaust fan w/filter at the top of my closet which has a straight shot out my wall using 4" semi-flex metal duct. I currently have the fan on a power control but temps were running a little high so I had to turn it up a little which created a whistling through the vent cover. I temporarily took the cover off which stopped the whistling but it's still louder then I would like since it vents into the room.

Sent from my XT1585 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Make the holes in cover bigger . or remove/change the cover .

3. I have a new cover which eliminates the whistling. I guess what I was hoping for is a way that still exhausts the same amount of air but yet is quiet. Maybe by adding something or creating a bend in the duct

4. Not really , it whistles because of restricted air flow , more pressure pushing out than can effectively pass through the cover think of a tea kettle bigger hole in cover should eliminate the whistle not a smaller one

5. Duct noise is such a pain in the ass. I still am learning my way around quieting duct noise. Does changing your duct size after your fan (going larger) with a larger vent have any real value?

6. At first I thought maybe adding a a normal 9*13 wall register would make a difference but I don't see how since right now it's the 4"duct flush with the wall without a cover. I will need to add the new one which at least doesn't whistle. I'm still exploring options and hoping someone has an idea

7. I would think adding a 4" to 6" coupling then adding a short length of 6" duct might help but now I could be a space issue. I guess maybe run larger rectangular duct on the ceiling might help

8. I bought a used hurricane 171 cfm fan and just the amount of air it flowed made to much noise. Even a fan controller didn't slow it down enough to be worthwhile. Fan controllers start to make a fan whine around 50-60℅ of full volume.