Fallout 3

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by Spyder, Feb 10, 2011.

1. #1 Spyder, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2011
    So after putting hundreds of hours into Oblivion, I decided to finally get this game and it's pretty awesome. I was looking for a new setting to journey in, and I really dig the whole post-apocalyptic thing.

Reasons I like this more than Oblivion:

The things you say make waaaay more of a difference
    Loot is more rewarding
    I like the perks and the leveling system
    Funner quests (my personal opinion)

Things I wish were better:

More cities (though I haven't even come close to discovering everything)
    I can't really think of anything else I would want better. Of course there can be improvements, but for the time it came out, pretty epic stuff. It's really a game that I have very little to complain about.

So right now I'm on my way to Rivet City. My guy has really good Karma (I pick the things that I would be most likely to say, usually) and doesn't mind ghouls at all. My dude's pretty intelligent, so that he gets lots of points during level up, and he's also good at endurance. Not much strength or anything, but I rely on my small guns, repair, medicine, and hacking skills. I get along with little problems, though getting ganged up by 4 super mutants is never fun.

I also got Dogmeat by my side sometimes. I leave him at home a lot since he's pretty good at taking on too many enemies and getting killed. I'm on my search to find a real partner to fight with.

But yeah, I figured I'd make a Fallout 3 thread since Oblivion (and even Skyrim) has its own. Anyone put way too many hours into this game, or are still playing? Despite the popularity of the title, I have a feeling not many are. But we will see!

2. You're behind the times man. Get New Vegas.

That shit is BOMB.

No disrespect.

What kinda character are you building?

3. I could've gotten New Vegas, but I wanted to start on 3. And there's still people out there playing Oblivion, which is older than FA3. But yeah, I'm definitely getting New Vegas after I'm done with this. I figured this plus NV down the line would give me something to do until Skyrim comes out.

I also heard about the glitches in NV... pretty shitty to release a game with that many problems. Some say it would have been epic if not for the glitches.

I set my guy up as so:

S 5
    P 5
    E 6
    C 5
    I 8
    A 7
    L 4 (I just found a bobblehead though, so 5)

Level 9 so far with my strongest stats (50+) being small guns, science, repair, and speech. I've got a bunch around the 40 mark.

Oh, and bloody mess ftw

4. #4 Sour Kush, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2011
    I just bough the GOTY edition three days ago, I'm on my way to Vault 101 and I'm only level 7. Great game so far, but nowhere near as good as Oblivion (IMO)

But I do like the fact that it actualty feels like you're survivng, with ammo being scarce and all.

5. Fallout 3 was what I think the first and best of many more series that I personally hope to see come. My biggest issue with it, like you said not enough cities. But hey what do you expect in a nuked world. Also I think some things could of been built more to a historical scale. Like the Capital building. And the rest of the world and city as well.

What I found most peculiar about the series and the game itself, the world looks like it ended in 1950, not 2077. From the music, culture, and architecture. NV was no different.

I still had alot of fun with F3 but they obiviously could have made improvements in companions, more weapons(preferably pistols and assault rifles and snipes) As well as more real world locations looking more scalar to reality. New Vegas kind of picks up on some of this with an age up in music (Dean-O!) and some pretty new landscapes and weapons. Loved the weapons in New Vegas. Shitty developers though.

But the biggggggest bone to pick is how if you don't save before the "last missions" your game is practically over. Most new players don't know this. Injustice there. Definately an RPG with some good replay value. I miss my first characters I can't play anymore :(

6. Fallout 3 and New Vegas are almost the same game. I think both are bomb. The reason that it is all in more of a 1940 style is that Betheda claims we stopped culturally growing by then and it just stuck til 2077. The stats and perks are ones that vary on what you want to make your character. Its easy to make a standard gunning guy but harder to do just unarmed and melee per say. I personally had a lot of fun with my melee/explosives expert. One thing I gave to say New Vegas has over 3 is these two things; Anti-material rifle with hollow points or incendary rounds and a rapid 35mm grenade launcher. Think enough said.

7. Don't listen to anyone saying you should have gotten New Vegas.

Fallout 3 is the best in the series. New Vegas is just "Okay".

8. I know! I try not to waste any ammo. If an enemy's weak, I'll finish them off with a gun with lots of ammo (usually my hunting rifle. have way too much ammo for that, since .32 weapons kind of suck from what I've noticed)

And I wish I got the GOTY edition, mainly to get to lvl 30. I'm going to have to just buy it with ms points (or I'll just get NV)

Good point. I realized that in a real post-apocalyptic setting, I would be searching for small settlements of whoever was still alive in a world of nothingness, just like I do in the game.

And I just realized much your actions affect people. Sometimes I think I'm making the right choice but I end up messing something up lol

Going to start another character soon.. this time evil :devious:

9. To anyone looking for a challenge, theres a mod called Fallout: Wanderer's Edition that adds soooo much depth to the game (its almost overwhelming).

there are too many cool features to list, but there are more weapons, food, armor, drugs :p. For instance if you take LSD, your screen becomes super saturated and crazy as if you are actually experiencing a psychoactive effect. Weed mellows out the screen and makes it hazy. its pretty freaking cool

10. i have played and beat fallout 3 for the most part. i don't have all trophys or secret weapons and such else. its a decent game i wouldn't say amazing or awesome game but it's good and worthy of a play through. i screwed up on the quest you get from paradise falls i'm too lazy to look it up atm but i killed some one i wasn't supposed to and now if i want the trophy for completeing that quest i have to start a new game and play up to that point. however i just recently started trophy hunting and i have a schedule before i get back to getting the rest of fallout trophys.:smoke:

11. I thought New Vegas was kinda refreshing but Both Fallout's never quite made it in my book as best of the best.

I have them maybe one step below that.

There are games I've spent less hours on and like just as much though.

These games are hour drainers. I've spent I don't know how many hours on fallout 3. Beat it like 3 and a half times probably 400 hours in total. Oblivion probably about 200 hours. New Vegas about 80.

12. Ive got 3 profiles in Fallout 3 with +100 hours on each one.

New Vegas just didn't do it for me, it actually made me pick fallout 3 back up LOL

13. If there was a way i could transport some clothes, armor, and all the weapons into fallout 3 i would be so happy. Where do y'all think fallout 4 will be?

San Fransisco?... New York?

14. Either one of those places would be sick. To be honest, I don't really care where they have it set. I just want them to do it right next time with the glitches... I'm sure they've learned from it. I have much love for Bethesda and trust them with the next game.

My friend was just telling me about how he borrowed NV from another friend, and he stopped playing after putting hardly any time into it because of the bugs.. biggest drag ever. Wonder how much the patches helped..

15. Patches barely did anything, the worst part though has got to be that the map is so big but your very limited in where you can travel. More static than DC.

16. i wish i could play fucking new vegas but my computer broke and can't play any games godamn :(

17. fallout 3 IMO is the best game ever made i just started new vegas and its ok not near as good so far. and if you ever get the DLC Point Lookout for fallout 3 smoke up before the walking with spirits quest trust me this quest is super awesome and trippy as shit

18. #18 DojaCFR, May 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Yes! I agree, triply ass shit!

19. I just borrowed New Vegas from a friend, so I've been playing that instead. I've got several hours of game time and it's only frozen on me once, and that was within like the first few seconds of getting out of that doctors house. So I'm pretty satisfied that it's not bugging out at all.

Pretty fun I might add. I like the partners you can find in this one more. They're greatly improved.

20. I love fallout3. I bought it about a year after it came out, then I got kinda stalled out because I was having problem adding on the DLC. I play on PC.
    I'm about 1/2 way through on my second play through. This time I'm exploring like every nook and cranny of the world.
    I wish there were more cities too. But still a great world.