Fallout 3 (its not so horrible)

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by NowIsB, Aug 27, 2012.

1. #1 NowIsB, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2012
    Ok so i was enjoying this game up until the moment where (spoiler) your dad dies in the project purity complex. And then it clicked, i was just left wondering... why is this game so... bland... like honestly. Ok so not only does this game follow stereotypical RPG story (spend a few missions searching for lost family member, spend a few missions connecting with said family member after finding them, they die soon after) how cool :rolleyes:

The guns: so far all the guns ive seen are the same damn thing with a different condition, hunting rifles all look the same Laser rifles all look the same, Snipers all look the same, pistols all look the same, unless they are chinese versions, there is no depth, its just the same 6 guns the entire game so far.

Enemies, ive seen maybe 10 different types of enemies, scorpion things, mirelurks, raiders, super mutants, Enclave soldiers, and a few other enemies that just die in 1 shot no matter what so they dont even matter (bloatflys, mole rats)

Environment, not sure if i could be any more let down, the entire wasteland is not only boring, but it actually starts to affect my vision after a while. like for real, the shit is ither too fucking dark (night time) or too damn bright, how is it that any fucking direction i wind up walking the sun is always in my fucking eyes and reflecting off bright shit? Invisible walls; the same 2 tree models repeated all over the entire world, jeez, this game pulls out all the stops so far :rolleyes:

Controls, the controls are good, except for the choosing weapons part, really? using the diagonal pad to choose weapons? whose fucking idea was that, like really, its hard as fucking tits to actually use any of the diagonal directions to select a weapon or put it in that slot, i often find my self fiddling with my hotkeys because i cant fucking map the diagonal directions easily. in a fire fights? good fucking luck.

So, is there actually any reason for me to continue playing this boring bland piece of ass?

2. the story sucks but look past that. It won so many awards for a reason.

3. as you can see from my post i have expanded its shitiness past the story; controls, environment, weapons, enemies, its all so bland, why has this game won awards?? what awards lmao?

4. Well you're not supposed to blow through the game missions. You're supposed to veer off and do different shit and explore the wasteland. I myself just got back into the game and using mods. I can't help you're disenfranchisement with the game itself but I can pitch some mods to you to help improve the game to you. It's practically a modders playground.

most specifically the Fook2 mod to give you 150+ weapons and armor and the fallout wanderers mod. and some more on this website link. Trust me you will be happy you did.

Fallout Wanderers Edition: 7 vs. Mutants! - YouTube!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Niii0s0jiMc]Fallout 3:FOOK2 Weapons - YouTube[/ame]

Top Ten Awesome Fallout 3 Mods - VGChartz

Give all these a try and report back your results!

[​IMG]

^^^^^^^^^^

At any rate take up those mods and breathe some life into your game!

5. I appreciate your ideas but as you may ( or may not) have gathered from my original post (the controls section) I am playing on the xbox 360, therefore I highly doubt i have any ability to install/play with mods. Also, level 9 so far and am currently fleeing project purity from the enclave if that gives you any idea how far + what level i am, ive done a few side quests, but not like a ton, and i also realize side quests are more or less the bread and butter of these types of games.

6. Oh I assumed you had both capabilities I am a huge PC gamer and automatically think people play on it, and haven't looked back to the rip-off consoles are yet. For that matter since you already bought the game you would be within your legal boundaries to "download" the game from the internet off TPB and play it from there if you have a decent machine.

7. Yeah I've got it, I like dc as a wasteland but u agree it's too dark, the guns suck dick, I'm level like 8 or something and the best I have is the combat shotgun, I can never find ammo for the good Guns.

But then again skyrim bored me but I'm lvl 35 and have beaten basically everything you can do.

8. yeah its not even so much the ammo for me, its just, like i said, the blandness. it has noooo depth whatso ever, where are the special guns? or like idk like any other RPG has random loot n shit, this just has the same 10 items scattered about differently in dif places.

I have plenty of ammo usually but i was looting a lot and have a perk that got me more ammo.

9. Yeah the guns in the two most recent games annoy me a bit, things like the varmint rifle. Overall the graphics aren't great but I still enjoyed both of them. There isn't much replay value and in NV I played all the way to the end with no knowledge that you couldn't continue after that, had to make a new character.

10. you guys are noobs

fallout 3 was my favorite game for months. i loved fallout nv for months. i loved oblivion. and i also loved skyrim. im a bethesda fanboy and i dont care. and i played on xbox if that tells you anything

11. Yea story is kinda dull. But all the badass items and gear you gotta explore your ass off to find

That was my favorite part. Scavenging the wasteland

12. no you're absolutely right OP. fallout 3 and fallout nv was a total suckfest. AND i have it for pc.

Every area looked the same or the same but with a couple new things thrown in. absolutely no climax to the story whatsoever. the mods where fun for a little while...but the quickly grew tedious and annoying with seeing what mods work with one another.

One of the BIGGEST pet peeves of mine for fallout is the running/walking animations, they did such a fucking hack job with it i can't even play the game anymore.

it was good for a couple weeks then it slowly faded into the 'this shit is uninteresting and repetitive' category. definitely had potential but there where just too many things that sucked and it has bugs out the ass on pc and console.

who knows, maybe fallout 4 will exceed expectations, we'll see. but this game is about a 50/100 for me

13. Idk about Bethesda. They discriminate the ps3 users. I recently reached level 100 in destruction magic ad the master spell for ice kills me. It's bullshit.

14. You're right on some things, but if everyone is dying in one shot, then you need to play on the hardest difficulty. Also, there are more weapons than just small arms. Gatling lasers, miniguns, deathclaw gauntlets, etc. You get more weapons if you get DLC as well, like the Gauss Rifle, the Perforator, and a lot more.

The story was never really an issue for me. Fallout is one of those games that revolves around a twisted kind of humour. You're not really supposed to take it that seriously. As for the environment, it's supposed to be really desolate and dark; it's a post-apocalyptic game. But as I said the DLC's add a lot more varieties as far as areas to play in.

If you don't like buying DLC you should get Fallout: New Vegas. It's a lot brighter.

15. sounds like you didn't plan on enjoying it from the start. The whole point of the HUGE map is to explore it. Use fast travel much..? Try something new in the game for fuck's sake. Heard of Melee weapons, specifically a flaming sword you create out of spare parts...? probably not

16. so is the fire one, by the time its ready youve already been hit a few times and youre dicked on it.

the lightning one though is kamehameha, and you can kill ancient dragons off in the distance with it.

17. Sounds like you're playing FO3 for all the wrong reasons. It's not a shooter, it's an RPG. If you have the vanilla game, no DLC, then there is a sort of lack of variety with small guns. Try out Melee, Unarmed, or Big Guns. You won't think the weapons are boring when you get a big gun that launches multiple nukes and leaves radiation, or the Shishkabob flaming sword. The weapons start to shine once you get the DLC, totally expands your inventory.

The combat itself isn't anything to write home about, but it's not the focus. It's all about the different quest lines and side stuff/exploration. There's a huge world out there, explore it! Give priority to side quests instead of the main story. You'll discover new, fun perks that gives your character some diversity in his/her background (learning how to gain health through drinking blood, becoming a cyborg, regenerating limbs when you're severely irradiated, etc.). If you haven't, finish up the quests involving the nuke in Megaton. I'd side with Burk because it leads to possible one of the greatest scenes in the game. I'll admit, some areas are bland, especially the metro tunnels and factories. But it's all about the story and quests behind these areas. If you learn to appreciate these elements, you'll have a lot more fun.

Most of all, the greatest enjoyment you can get from this game is the humor. That's the big selling point on the Fallout franchise, the dark, twisted humor. The characters, random events, dialogue choices. The best humor you can find in a video game (especially the first 2 games).

So play it as an RPG, explore the world, experiment with different weapon skills, do the evil Megaton quest line, give it some time. If you start to enjoy it, grab the DLC ASAP.

18. one of my fav things to do in bethesda games is to hoard everything that has little weight and become rich as fuck

19. A highly modded pc fallout on max settings would be more fun, I think.

20. There are a handful of more unique weapons that you'll either find later in the game or you find from exploring specific spots. If you still want more depth after checking those out NV may interest you. They did a really good job expanding on the guns in it.

As for the lack of enemy variety... there was enough for me personally. Some are kinda rare though so some exploring may be needed. Also.. when you think about the environment you're in... how many different types of life could one expect to find?

I liked the environment a good bit. I haves NV's wasteland though.

Yeah the story is kinda bland haha. I didn't even pay much attention to it after a while. All I care about in games like these are gameplay mechanics and how many different ways there are I can develop my character. Fallout definitely has a solid development system too. My only problem with it was the level cap being too low.

And if you're not already... play it on hard. That's the only way to play it in my opinion