Fake Snow Reported in the US

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Marx, Jan 30, 2014.

1. I don't buy it... I understand about the butane but to an extent, the snow should still fucking melt over a fucking flame.

If you actually did some research you would see that people aren't taking the snow from streets where the snow has been contaminated. Most people are taking snow from right outside their doors or else from their own backyard. 

But you think that there could be enough contaminants in a chunk of snow to be impervious to fire for extended periods of time?

2. [quote name="Marx" post="19437518" timestamp="1391122577"]I don't buy it... I understand about the butane but to an extent, the snow should still fucking melt over a fucking flame.If you actually did some research you would see that people aren't taking the snow from streets where the snow has been contaminated. Most people are taking snow from right outside their doors or else from their own backyard. But you think that there could be enough contaminants in a chunk of snow to be impervious to fire for extended periods of time?[/quote]You don't buy that contaminants change the properties of known substances? And you watching YouTube videos is considered research? And I'm just unknowledgable because I understand science but didn't do "research"? Regardless if it was from the road or not, there can still be contaminants from cars. It's called pollution. It's in the air, and if it's in the air it ends up in water supplies, ergo in the snow. And butane lighters are mass produced and are cheap, full of contaminants. Hasn't it been already stated that the snow didn't melt?

• Like Like x 3
  3. this most likely. Or just polution in the snow

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. #24 Sam_Spade, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2014
    As a man who has spent dozens of winters smoking reefer and tobacco in quinzhees; a lighter flame does not nessecarily melt snow. Hold a butane flame to the ceiling of a quinzhee and all that happens is some melt-refreeze and scorching of the snow. It doesn't bore a hole through the roof -- snow is indeed frozen water, but it is also a fantastic insulator of radiative heat as well.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Yes I buy that but like I said to the point that is going to be slow it down from melting that much? Idk, thats why I made this thread. 

Well yea you could have seen that people were picking up fresh snow and not slush off the streets hahah thats all I meant, research was also the worst word to use. Saying if you watched enough videos sounded weirder at the time though.

Okay yea and from volcanic ash and who knows what else which could be why it smells or turns black for sure, but my initial thought was the snow would melt either way and leave that residue in the water left behind. Instead people are left with big chunks with liter craters burned out. I have never thought to try burning snow like that so I have no idea what "normal" snow would look like melting I was just hoping somebody had hahah 

Anyways does that just mean that the snow is evaporating or what ever it would be called from ice form? Since some people aren't getting many water droplets at all when the stuff finally breaks down...

6. Gonna try it right now. Be back with my results....unless I blow up or die.

• Like Like x 1

so you ignored everyone that posted and pointed out how full of shit the whole claim is...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ok....had the same effect as what was on the video. BUT....then I crushed it and compacted it....Immediately began to melt. After some stoner investigations here is my report.

Uno..

I mean Bullshit.
    The snow in a clump actually seems to not melt..but it is melting and then just being absorbed, and refreezing on the interior. SO like that other post said...insulation qualities. BUT it is also absorbing the moisture and refreezing it quickly.
    Once it is compacted though? It can't absorb it, and it melts like you would expect. The blackening, I'm going to say contaminates from the lighter....soot even. I got more when I used a Zippo...and more when I used a candle.

It's not fake snow. It's SCIENCE

snow is melting and the water is being wicked away by the structure of the crystals the snow ball is made of...this is old science people.

• Like Like x 1
  10. yeaaa mannn.

[​IMG]

11. If you actually watch the video, you'd see almost just as much soot when he was melting the ice cube.. so the black soot from the snow should be a non-issue. And the snow is melting.. but it's snow. One inch of rain equals anywhere from 6 to 20 inches of snow depending on the conditions. With the snow that we got, I'd say it was around the typical 1 to 10 ratio. I bet if he would of let both melt apart, he'd have seen that they both had about the same amount of water to them. Hell, wouldn't surprise me if the ice cube actually contained more water than that chunk of snow.. and when the snow crystals fall, they form a 3D lattice type network that wicks away water.

Here are some videos with a 2D version of what's going on with the snow melting..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2fZYx3K6jI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-2VoIpwnlc

Now imagine that same effect, but in a crazy, chaotic, beautiful crystal network like this..
    [​IMG]

When snow on the outside melts, it gets pulled inside through cohesion and when you add soot (from the lighter...) to the outer layer, you're probably creating a thin network of soot and crystals that holds even more water in by the adhesion.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Chem trails!!!!

13. So I was right? Holy shit.... damn shame it's old science tho... I just figured out! Always a day late and a dollar short. Lol

14. DEBUNKED, BITCHES!

15. was it yellow???????  jk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLIppgE45wM

• Like Like x 2
    Very cool.

18. Ice doesnt melt, thats what you are telling me? Like my gf trying to tell me snow isnt ice. What temperature is it? Below freezing, interesting.

19. I noticed that water is absorbed by snow and basically turns into slush, you wouldn't even notice it with a lighter to the snow.

• Like Like x 1
  20. #40 Turin, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2014
    Dat science.

• Like Like x 1