Faith or Science?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Its a six, Nov 18, 2009.

1. I went to church on a pretty regular basis until I was about 18 years old. While I'd like to believe in God, I do not have enough faith to do so. A lot of scientific evidence points to there not being one. And if you look at other cultures, they have something totally different than our God. So who's to say that we're right and they're wrong? What if we're all wrong?

It really bothers me that people just blindly believe that God created the earth, without really thinking about all of the other possibilities. Does this make me a bad Christian? I mean honestly, I don't even care...but is the main premise of religion faith? Because I don't understand why anyone would just trust what is written in the Bible, which can be understood in so many different ways.

Does anyone follow what I'm saying? What are your thoughts?

2. Could you explain how science points to there being no possibility of a God?

The 'smartest' man in the world would even tell you that there is something out there, Albert Einstein.

"God may be subtle, but he isn't plain mean." - A.E

Oh and don't use the 'big bang' as scientific evidence because matter cannot be created or destroyed. Perhaps its just because you were made to believe that God is a human figure.

3. i was raised catholic. when i found out i was gay, i prayed and prayed that god would make me straight. that's when i realized that god and prayer would have no noticeable effect on my life. i feel like religion may have a place in other people's lives, but certainly not mine. if there is a god, certainly doesn't give a shit about me.

all that being said, i'm for freedom of religion. tolerance of diversity is the way to a better world. good luck with figuring things out.

4. Gotta love that one. "God didn't do what I asked, so he must not be real!"

5. If God didn't want you to be gay, he wouldn't have created you to be that way.

Anyone who prays or asks for a miracle to happen will simply be denied. God doesn't work like that.

6. I've grown up in a Christian family, went to 9 years of Catholic school, attend church when made to and when I got into high school I had too many questions that pointed towards the lack of a God.

I still go to church only because it is the norm of my family. I believe Jesus existed as a man, but I don't think he was the Son of God. (I joking like to think he was the David Blane of his era. I know: blasphamy).

Think about how many religions there has been. Thousands i'm sure. Human sacrafices were made to keep the Gods happy. People were beheaded thinking they would be saving the rest. It's messed up.

Additionally, I think death is just lights out. Like before you were born or asleep without dreams. It sounds sinister, but it makes sense and it doesn't make me sad. It's just reality and makes me want to live my life to the fullest.

7. #7 Skyler Vant, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2009
    His definition of God is more like Spinoza's than the traditional view. He was probably along the lines of a pantheist, even though that's technically not the right name for it, but look it up.

"I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one. You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from religious indoctrination received in youth." - Albert Einstein.

I like to think of it as returning to a point of origin. If you want to use the law of conservation of mass, technically all the matter that composes my body has been around since the beginning of the universe, it has just taken some 13 billion years to reach this form. Dying to me will be like the other 13 billion years before I was born, and hell if I know what that's like.

8. well more like, "god didn't do what i asked, so i may as well just get on with my life instead of trying to suck up to a god who will put me into heaven for eternity if i am good."

also, i believe in aliens lol. there is no scientific evidence to back it up, but the fact that there are billions of stars in billions of galaxies makes me think that at least one other star out there has to have life revolving around it.

9. #9 Pastafarian, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2009
    Yes!

No.

The OP passage should read more along the lines of 'everything works without the assumption of god', rather than science disproves/points to no god. Otherwise this thread will lead to a huge science/philosophy debate.

Related message i wrote: http://forum.grasscity.com/6067307-post14.html

'Smartest' man sounds to me like a personal opinion, because i believe Charles Darwin, and Issac Newton's ideas were more revolutionary than Einsteins.

10. I agree with you man. I was raised with no religon so yeah i question everything all the time. To just tell me that god is real isnt going to work cause for all i know some weird alien race could have created us for fun. Ive seen it a millon times.

11. The idea or definition of God is so broad it's impossible to answer. I believe there is something greater out there, but the idea of a huge bearded man sitting in a cloud is something i don't believe in.

12. When it comes to most things in life seeing is believing but when it comes to faith, believing is seeing.

13. word. +rep for you my man

14. LOL what scientific evidence? haha you mean like it rains from water vapor building up in clouds, so god doesn't make it rain?

I agree though, the church is crap, but only cuz it's just ripped off, if you look at the shit the church rips off in it's origional form, you can find something that makes sense logically and still works with science.

15. I like to think there is no god, there is no heaven or hell, I don't know where all this shit came from or why we are here and anyone who says they do is full of shit.

What I do know for sure is that we are only here for a short time and I don't plan to spend it bowing to religion or science or dwelling on questions that will never be answered.

16. science science science!!!

faith is highly fallible and corrupted

science, no as much, but still suseptible.

17. I'm pretty much in the same situation as you OP. I was raised to believe in God and everything of that matter. But as I've grown up Ive began to question everything I was raised to believe in.

But now my problem is what If it all turns out to be true? I like being able to live my life the way I want to without having to worry about consequences after death. But I also don't want to be the one who turned out to be wrong and is now paying for it. Get what I mean?

I think in the end you just have to go with what means more to you.

18. If God isn't physical (or likewise if God is the entirety of the physical universe) then science (which deals only with the physical) won't prove the existence of God. By the same token it can't disprove the existence of God either... just because different cultures have different religions doesn't mean that the unseen spiritual side of things isn't all one. I look at religions as different perceptions of the same thing.

I think you should broaden your scope beyond Christianity. It would also be helpful to not cite "faith" as a reason to believe in God... wanting to believe something doesn't make it true. There are much better reasons to believe God exists.

19. Faith is too easy to abuse when you're spreading it and too easy to get trapped in when you follow it. If you don't believe me just look at all the devout religious nuts out there.

The voice of reason says science.