Failing university... help?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by moscowtingz, Oct 13, 2011.

1. So the inevitable happened and i'm in a situation i really hate being in... so the 411 is im a first year uni student in a very recognized business school (all asians, 'nuff said) that i paid a piss load of cash for. I'm a major procrastinator and breezed through high school (NO idea how i graduated with a 90 avg). Anyway, school started, and right away it was obvious that everything is going down the crapper:

takes me 1-1.5 hrs (drive + bus + subway + walk) to get to school and back, and im a physically weak person so by the time i get home im DEAD tired and i just crash and/or goof off... procrastinating habits continue, at this point i haven't done any homework in almost half a year (dead serious) and it feels as if it is PHYSICALLY impossible for me to start on my work even though i don't have any disability or anything...

and to make things worse... i have a heavy course load, and if i don't get a 73% avg i get kicked out the program.. :(

i'm really stressed and depressed because i worry about my future, worry about disappointing my family (which pisses me off due to the immense amount of pressure they put on me - i'm the only one in my huge family in uni at the moment), a lot of mixed feelings, and just generally depressed because nothing is going right for me..

midterms are coming up in 2 weeks time, haven't made a single note or cracked a book...

has anyone here been in similar situations? anyone have any advice? this is really stressing and i feel like im really throwing my life away... :(

2. Dude, just do the work.

Once you get started you'll realize it's not that hard.

3. ya, it's called being motivated. i would've rather endured physical pain than study/do homework not too long ago.

then i came to a realization in my life, that life is filled with things that we don't want to do. you can either say fuck it and become a nihilist, bitch and moan about it, or actually sack up and do it.

needless to say, only one of those options leads to success, which is why the choice is now an easy one.

4. Ne pezdi, n just do the work man. I would work my ass off if my education and dough was on the line. Fuck that, I wouldn't pay outta my ass for nothing.

5. tough. bust ass and do the work. life's hard.

6. Why do you think I'm up at 3:30 in the morning, dude? If I would have just shut the fuck up and hunkered down to work, I wouldn't be in this mess.

Just sit down and get started. Before you know it you're in the zone and then you finish! Just imagine the satisfaction when you're finally done, and remember this lesson for next time. Trust me, it's a LOT less stressful. DON'T PROCRASTINATE! :)

7. #7 Rasta Eh, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2011
    Ha..
    EXACT same deal for me in highschool. What worked for me? Someone to work with... hire a tutor man! someone to help you on all subjects. It can be expensive if you don't know them personally but ultimately worth it if you want to stay at the school your at. For me it had to be someone I felt was cool and was not one of those uptight serious teachers, chill 20 year old helped me do all my grade 10 (start to finish)work working an hour or so a few times a week over the summer. Still blows my mind how easy shit is once I get going.

If it doesn't work out though man then life goes on, far from throwing away your life :smoke: good luck

EDITL If your that far from uni and rushing there is an issue then you should try to move closer mate.

8. People in this thread fail to see what motivates a person. It's not being mean and critical, it's encouragement and support.

Here, read this, do them all and I GUARANTEE you'll be working harder towards your goals.

Centre for Clinical Interventions (CCI) - Psychotherapy, Research, Training

I was definitely in the same boat as you, luckily I withdrew from university before I got an academic penalty. Right now I'm working hard, started playing my guitar and I go to the gym heaps. I have those booklets to thank for it.

Read, them, now. Don't put it off, if you do, make sure you SCHEDULE time to do it, and if you miss that schedule don't think to yourself "Well I didn't stick to my schedule, so I might as well not do it" because I know that's what you're going to think, you're exactly like me and most procrastinators.

So I repeat. Do, it, now.

9. It can't hurt to give it a try? Put it this way, your going to be in debt forever if you don't actually come out that bitch with a masters degree. Youre a Lucky dude to even get the chance to go to a university make the beest of it. Or transfer.

10. Grow up and get your priorities straight. This is why so many people fail out of college [myself included].

Some people just want to party and have a good time getting high and drunk while neglecting their homework. The answer is simple - take care of your responsibilities. Don't go out if you haven't done your homework, find people to study with.

You can pray all you want that you'll make it through school, but faith without works is dead.

11. What country are you in?

12. Well, you are in a mess, and there isn't much we can do to help you. You may want to consider putting up a "Need ride" notice to see if any of your fellow students live in your area and have a compatible schedule. Even if it is only one or two days a week, removing that long ride could do wonders for your studying!

You are likely screwed, but if you just give up, you are 100% certain to totally fail!

So pop some "B" vitamins, get some caffeine into you, take a quick shower and get busy! Promise yourself a puff after you get "X" amount of work done. Take some responsibility in your life!

Granny

13. Also, dont forget to take your omega 3's

14. Ya I'm the same way dude its my first year and all my stuff is Gen ed and its not hard and I find that if I come to class and stay awake I usually remember enough to do good on the test the only class I take notes in is math but if I try to open a textbook and study I can't do it my eyes will not even let me I just keep thinking how sick I am of this school bullshit and how I have four years of this shit and it just kills me. I'm not lazy I have 2 jobs and I don't mind going to either and working all day and night sometimes . I still haven't decided if I just need to suck it up and try the work if I should just drop out and go to trade school or something and just get a low laying job. I really feel like I would be happier in a job like that cuz I really don't care that much about money or a big house and nice car. I have a cheap ass car and I love it and I will probly keep it until I die and wouldn't mind living in a tiny ass cabin either. I'm mostly just hangin in there cuz my family expects me to graduate and "accomplish " something . I almost wish I had some jerk parents so I could be like fuckin you I do what I want but they're pretty nice so I guess I kinda owe it to em, but I just don't think school is the right place for me, I have not decided on a major yet and I'm not sure I ever will find one I like. Anyway best advice I can give is try and do the lame ass work and if you fail just quit and do something else, you don't need a college degree to get a job, you could be a plumber electrician mechanic welder all kinds of shit.

15. Get diagnosed with ADD, take medicine, things will be more manageable.

16. #16 TomN, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2011
    Consider three things:
    1. Who is paying for this? You or your family?
    Your answer is either your family -- and then you do owe it to them to succeed. They're sponsoring you, OR
    you pay for it, and you owe it to yourself to not waste it or go in debt for no reason.

2. Until you can get yourself the right strain for learning (mine's the diesel family, usually the closer to sativa, the better)
    you should abstain and buy some adderol or generics off someone. Ask more than two people and you get "no's", you're asking wrong.

3. Joining study groups. Its okay to be the dumb kid before midterms, afterwards people will realize you have nothing to offer. Also, you can probably meet someone in the group to sleep with, aka, getting to stay closer to campus, not to mention that sex is a great break for the brain. and you did say Asians, right? That's great for both of the things I just mentioned.

17. hey op, it can feel like a tough spot at times... but like others have said, once you sit down and start actually reading/looking at the material, it won't be as hard. Its just that getting started part is the hardest.

Last night, i had a rough skeleton of a 6 page paper i had to write. I also worked until like 11:30. Well i knew i had business to do so i said fuck it, smoked some weed and worked on it for about 4 hours straight until i was done. I feel way better today knowing i put some hard work in and completed what i needed to. You can do it too.

18. thanks for the advice guys, guess i should try studying a try. the problem is, im SO far behind, that I don't even know where to start.... to catch up for midterms I would have to lock myself in my room for 2 weeks and do nothing but notes...

to make things worse, i already skipped a stats quiz, a management assignment, and i have a calc quiz tomorrow -_-

Canada.

19. ask yourself, is the main reason that you're in college to have a good time or to get your muthafuckin' degree?

the above bolded text might not be such a bad idea...

20. Is this what you want? If you want to graduate and get a good job in business then start reading the book. If not, do what you want and don't worry about upsetting anyone else. You need to be happy.