Fafsa/Financial aid dependent student?

Discussion in 'General' started by Guitarguy1821, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Does anyone have any idea when FAFSA stops going off your parents income in Illinois?

I've been looking but had no luck.

I'm 22 and have been wanting to go back to school but since I still live at home, and my parents make just enough that I cant get financial aid, it's proved to be quite difficult.

I've been considering getting my welding cert since it pays $14-20 a hour, most places being 40+ hours a week, and still being able to smoke, but I dont wanna do that shit for too long. (Aspiring Architect)

I just wanna know the cutoff age, cause i make about 12k a year, so id probably qualify for atleast enough to bridge the gap(ive got some savings).

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. When you're independent. It's not necessarily just because you have a job. Does either of your parents still put you down as a dependent on their on tax forms?

I believe there are definite exemptions that would require you to be an independent say if you had a child or were married, or some other stuff. I've had questions about it in the past; their customer support is pretty good. You can chat online with them or just call them, and ask them directly. Shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes going that route. 

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 Guitarguy1821, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2014
    No, they havent claimed me in nearly 4 years(since i was 18.)

I heard it was like 23-24 is why i'm asking. I cant afford to move out alone, and the only friend i can see myself not murdering after a month hasnt had good luck with getting a job past couple months.

Their customer service looks to be open today so i'll give them a call.

4. Call an admissions office?? You don't have to be actually interested in going, just tell them that you're interested but have some questions about finical aid. 

• Like Like x 1
  5. You're parents can claim you up until you're 26, but if their not claiming you, you shouldn't have any problems getting Finacial Aid. If you're looking to go back by the Fall, you are definitely doing the right thing starting the process now.

"Picture you and me in a cabin by the sea, sit up on the porch and we can burn a couple trees."

6. God luck OP!

7. If they don't claim you on their taxes you should be good.

8. #8 Guitarguy1821, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014
    Fsho, I pay for literally everything except rent/utilities, and they dont get any benefits/money anymore from claiming me.

If thats true, then i could have been doing this for years... Damn.. Haha.

9. 24-25...Somewhere around there.  Pretty sure 25 though I could be mistaken, been awhile since I was in that heathen of a state.

Fuckin' devils. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  10. You can get people to Write you letters saying you support yourself

11. One of the worst states, easily. I hate it soooo fuckin much.

12. This^
    OP just go talk to the financial aid department at a local college!
    It is their job to get people into school and get them financial aid. I would know, I have been going to school on financial aid for 4 semesters now and there is know way that you can get through this process without some bureaucratic help, the papers are a pain in the ass!!!

13. This is not state its federal

You must be 24 or a veteran of the military.

Doesnt matter if youve lived on your own since 16 and parents live in Russia, youre still a dependent if you dont meet one of those 2.

I've dealt with this situation personally