facebook sucks

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by tomascat, Jan 23, 2013.

1. my kid (i.t. guy) done me a FAVOR and set me up a phone (lumia) that is nothing but a pain in the ass. my question is cant i have this mother fucker without face book and jacking my e mails up and putting my shit out in the street for gods sake?? im a private type and want NONE of anything about me out their?? do i need to delete my e mail adresses and start over to put an end to this!!!

2. I honestly have no idea what your trying to ask.

3. he's senile and can't figure out his phone

time to hit up the Jitterbug, old man

[​IMG]

4. Hmm. Ask your kid bro! He'll help you out with it.

5. I'm not a fan of smartphones either OP. I am not going to get one until I am unable to have service without all that extra hassle and expense.

6. just go to the facebook app settings and unsync it from your phone. that might work i don't know what phone lumia is.

7. I don't like facebook either. If your son created it, he can certainly destroy it.

8. i agree with all replies so thanks, i just dont need the extra stuff that goes with it.. its a new one by nokia..at&t..my little red t mobile was fine but alas. i did un sync it tho. thanks.
    jitter bug, i like that lol

9. i'm glad that worked for you. a lot of the time it is just a really simple fix. my phone recently the y and z button on the keypad switched so now it's hard to get used to. wtf kind of programming error would even have that happen. jsut one day on the message keypad after months and months of being normal the y and z mysteriously trade places. damned technology

10. The only downside to smartphones is the rate of which you have to recharge it. Big high res screens eat juice like you won't believe. Apart from that, it is everything you want in a nice pocket friendly size. What I find particularly usefull is google-maps, gmail client, browsing on the go, FM radio, calendar and spreadsheet app.

And in use, providing you don't stream music all day, it do not cost more than your old-fashioned cell phone. And all that extra stuff, like Facebook and Twitter apps and whatnot, you can uninstall and never think about ever again. Never understood the Facebook addiction many seem to suffer under. I have no need to share anything about my day to day life online, and I certainly don't want to read about others daily life. Perhaps I'm just old and don't get it :p

11. I stopped using Facebook long ago. Hell, id delete my account if it wasn't the only contact I had with half my friends and family. It's all a bunch of dramatic bullshit and pointless posts, and of course constant invites to pointless apps and games which clutter my notifications box and make my phone go off constantly.

12. they are also a lot more insecure. now that phones have gps they can track with amazing accuracy now. before with cell towers they could only pinpoint your general location. also, apps you need to check the permissions, companies are always gonna try to collect your data for marketing purposes.

13. Well, yes. But unless I'm hopelessly lost somewhere out in the middle of nowhere, GPS is off on my phone. Though by means of triangulation off cell-towers, at least in populated areas the location on the gmap is pretty accurate, meaning I'm trackable. But that holds true for any cellphone, not just smartphones. Within +/- 50 meters or less.

As for third party apps, I don't really have many. I mostly use my phone for productivity and work stuff, not as an entertainment device. As it happens, most the productivity stuff is already on the phone from the get go. All I've really installed is a stop-watch and a couple of games *cough* angry birds *cough* :D