fabric pots in desert heat

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by storz, Sep 25, 2020.

1. as the title says, has anyone used fabric pots in a desert grow? I just finished OG Kush in 25 gal plastic containers and experienced root bound conditions toward the later end of the grow.

ty

2. the plant will grow for the size of the pot, so i would expect a big ole root knot towards the end. I live in southern New Mexico not Arizona but its desert and hot very dry. Just make sure they get plenty of water sometimes its daily sometime every other to 3 days depending on how hot it is,

• Like Like x 1
  3. thank you but I was more curious about fabric pots in the desert. I realize I would have to water more with fabric but has anyone used them with success? root bound is never good esp combined with high desert heat= stress. In fact I lost 2 plants bc of it.

4. how big of a fabric pot are you using and can you give me an idea of how often you are watering in mid july(hottest times) . I use them indoors but never outdoor and never in such dry hot conditions

5. Geez I feel really small right now lol the biggest fabric pot I grew in was 5 gal. Fabric pots are great for letting your plants roots "breathe", along with helping with drainage. I would add perlite or some other sort of stone in to help with drainage and root development. My mixes of perlite/coco don't get rootbound. It's normal to be watering 1 time a day, heck, I just seen a Strain Hunters video where they went to Jamaica, and the growers there were watering 2 times a day.

6. so you are using 5 gal fabric pots in hot desert conditions?

7. Reword question:
    Has anyone used fabric pots in the desert heat?
    If so, what size?
    How often did you have to water?

TY in advance

8. Yea thats what I meant lol I wouldnt have said anything if I didnt use fabric pots

9. I used 25 gal fabric pots outside through the Phoenix summer. Had to water/feed every other day by the end. They will fill up whatever you give em, even a 100 gal

10. TY perfect

11. I live in whats called high desert in CO. We not only can have high temps we are 5300 feet up so the sun gets a lot hotter on contact then it did when I lived in Yuma AZ AKA hell on earth. One quick idea worked the best for me was build a four leg 1x2 frame to have around pot. Then take some White panda plastic cut hole in the middle to allow watering and slice outward so you can slip plastic around plant staple white panda plastic to frame. That will reflect a ton of sun heat. Basically building a light reflecting canopy for your pots.

12. ty for that suggestion .

• Like Like x 1
  13. I quit growing outside in summer. 3 times a day was too much. I either supplement light or veg inside and set outside to flower. I use 5 or 7 gal in fall and inside. Outside in summer u will need 25 gal

Sent from my SM-N960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Yeah just about, my grow area was running between 95-105 degrees.

15. Some weed loves the heat! San gorgonio in the back ground. Dont get much hotter than here 20200925_070404.jpg 20200420_084709.jpg 20181101_063133.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Idk I’m going to find out with u, just put 2 20 gallon fabric pots outside going to transplant clones into them tomorrow. I’m n the desert also I will let you know how it goes