F*** States with inspection laws!

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by MasterChief420, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Have to do emissions here as well as inspection. If you don't have emissions done or if you don't pass the DMV will put a hold on your account so you cannot renew tags or plates.

And around here if you have expired tags good luck getting even 5 miles without getting pulled over.

2. The OP mentions things crucial for steering, braking, indicating direction intentions and seeing where you're going in the rain.

I'd consider all of the above vital requirements for driving a car safely.

I understand the ridiculous point about emissions though. Whilst industry and plane travel exists it's a stupid thing to be penalizing us for.

3. better than yur car fuckin up while yur doin 70 down the highway

4. #24 daveracer, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2011
    New corner light on ebay, $50?
    Tie-rod $20
    Tires, used $100
    Wiper blades, $10

If you can't install yourself, add $150.

$180 in parts, what are you complaining about? If someone came to me with those parts, I would charge them about $75 to install (if outer tie rod) or $80-$90 (if inner tie rod) everything.

So in reality, you are looking at $250-$275.

Also, emissions inspections are an absolute joke. Safety inspections, however, should be done in every state. In fact, they should make them more strict. If i see another compression union-ed brake line, i'm going to go nuts!

5. I had a steering rod end fail on the one and only HW 1 in Ca, in between big Sur and monterey. Lets just say climbing up a 170 foot sheer rock face after rolling the car off of it sucks fat ass.
    But I still get tired of people screaming for a government program to save them. Those inspections are a joke anyway as most dont even do any more than lights and a well placed and crisp 100 dollar bill will magically make everything safe.

6. fcp groton or erie vo-vo for parts

7. This. I'm missing a mirror (clipped it on a mailbox, blew out the mirror but the housing is fine) so that would fail me... But everything else would pass... Except maybe my 7 year old suspension. I think it's a great idea but not how it's currently done...

8. planes are surprisingly efficient. as is industry.

U.S made cars (from what i can gather) are wholly inefficient.

being a brit, the thought of the cars on the road not being tested scares me. something that can travel at over 100mph and weighs over a ton - and not have any safety checks strikes me a stupid and irresponsible.

i can understand that they would fail you on stupid things, like they do over here (my bike failed its MOT because the indicator lens was cracked and showed white light, not the amber an indicator should be!). but, you dont have to let the testing place do the work - drive away and do it yourself or find a cheaper place.

9. Soo. thats about $100-$200 worth of work. Your mechanic is a douche for saying $700. I would shit on that guys face if I were you.....

10. I live in a state with no inspection. I might be moving to an emissions testing state and my new blazer wouldnt pass as it sits. I have to add cats, smog pump, and retune it before i could think about it.

Junkyard a lens, local parts house will have wipers and some install. The tierod end can be changed in your driveway and available from same place as wipers. Changing the tierod is a fairly simple procedure. Remove the wheel, locate and remove the nut that attaches to spindle then unscrew from rack and pinion. then replace oppisite of removal tighten everything and go get a front end alignment.

11. You tie rods loose oh no big deal. Well lets see how big of a deal it is when it fails....